Tyler Acoustics Reference Monitors

Freo-1

Tyler Acoustics Reference Monitors
« on: 18 May 2013, 02:13 am »

Let's say you recently auditioned a pair of Joseph Audio Pulsars,  and decided that was the sound you were after.  However, after reviewing your funds, you realize they are out of range.  What to do?  :scratch:

Easy.  Call Ty of Tyler Acoustics, and have him make you a pair of Reference Monitors.  You will get Pulsar type performance at 1/3 the asking price. Not bad, eh?

When it came time to replace the Maggie 1.7's (due to a décor issue), I stumbled on a  like new pair of these by accident.  Ty had made these for a customer who is also a good friend.  Although the guy loved the speakers, it's in his nature to wheel and deal (who does that sound like?)  He had Ty attempt to emulate the performance of the Pulsar by using the same mid driver.  However, he was partial to the Scanspeak Revelator  tweeter, so that is what Ty made for him.  His comments were along the lines that the speaker produced a "spooky" sound field much like monitors costing 5X the price.  To make a long story short, I picked these up, and commenced to get them dialed in.

When I first stated using them, the depth, image, and clarity were all there in spades.  The midrange seemed a bit recessed.  I found out that the speakers were  used so little that they were not broken in yet.  That would explain the recessed midrange, I thought.  So, I broke them in over the next couple of weeks. Sure enough, the recessed sound disappeared, and all the great things these monitors can do appeared. 

I used both solid state and tubes on them, but wound up settling on the tube monoblocks, as it provided that extra bit of warmth and depth.  For really demanding music, switch to the solid state amp, as the speaker will absorb some watts with really demanding music.

The one area I was still trying to get right was the bottom octave.  For whatever reason, the TBI just did not mesh well with these monitors.  Auditioned a few subs, and settled on a ATC C1 model.  This is a great little sub, with a 12" driver, and remote control to dial in the specifics.  It is a sealed unit, and very musical.  ATC is known for making some of the best speakers available.  The C1 is near perfect match for the Tylers in a small to moderate listening space.

Once the sub was sorted, the Tylers REALLY sounded outstanding.  They provide some of the most accurate sound staging and precise placement of performers I've ever heard.  Vocals are really life like, almost "spooky".   

So, the take away is, if you love the sound of the Joseph Audio speakers, but do not or cannot pay the asking price, check out Tyler Acoustics.  I assure you that you will be very happy with the Reference Monitors.  :thumb:

Mudslide

Re: Tyler Acoustics Reference Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2013, 03:51 am »
Nice review.  Thanks.

I'd also like to point out that Ty is one great person and a credit to this hobby!

I had the pleasure of having a weekend at our GTG to audition and play with a pair of Ty's Taylo speakers.  I came this close >< to buying a pair of his monitors even though I couldn't afford them.  Outstanding performers and lovely cabinetry. 

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2013, 07:36 pm »

I'd also like to point out that Ty is one great person and a credit to this hobby!

I had the pleasure of having a weekend at our GTG to audition and play with a pair of Ty's Taylo speakers.  I came this close >< to buying a pair of his monitors even though I couldn't afford them.  Outstanding performers and lovely cabinetry.

You betcha!   Ty  makes outstanding speakers, uses top quality drivers, and is priced less than most high end speaker manufactures.  Compare his prices to others, and you will see what I mean.   I'm surprised he does not get more support here on AC. 
Best of all, he will work with the customer to "tweak" the speakers to accommodate personal tastes.

Here is some pictures of the center channel and rear speakers he just made for my rig:

wlvca

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2013, 07:51 pm »
I have the older (front ported) Tyler Reference Monitors in my 2-channel system.  Have really enjoyed using these speakers.

Also have Ty's D4M's and center in my home theater system.

As noted before, Ty is one of the nicest and most helpful people in the industry.

dangerbird

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2013, 09:00 pm »
Guys,, I had a pair of the older front ported Ref monitors,,(still have sellers remorse)  but I hung on to my 7U's,,which I will never let go,, with that said,, anyone care to compare the older front ported ref monitors to the new model?

gold

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2013, 09:40 pm »
The newer Seas Excel 6" mid/woofer does a real nice job covering the midrange and bass duties.  The Seas Excel 7" is an excellent midrange driver.  More warmth and punch with the new 6" driver but some might say
the midrange is better with the 7".   I like the 6" in the new Ref Monitor. 

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2013, 03:37 pm »

Guys,, I had a pair of the older front ported Ref monitors,,(still have sellers remorse)  but I hung on to my 7U's,,which I will never let go,, with that said,, anyone care to compare the older front ported ref monitors to the new model?
I hear you!  The speakers Ty made for me were designed to go with a pair of Cary Silver Oak Model Ones, which are VERY similar to the 7U's.  The results have been excellent.

dangerbird

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2013, 03:52 pm »
Fine set of speaks sir!! Last year during the winter months in Georgia,lol,,, I upgraded the caps and resistors in my 7U's,, a worthwhile project IMHO,, much smoother,,and improved all around. Ty does know what he's doing.

Can anyone compare the soundstage/imaging of the older vs newer ref monitors?

Freo-1

Re: Tyler Acoustics Reference Monitorsed some light
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2013, 04:29 pm »
Thank you.  I think the difference with the Cary speakers is the crossover design and parts.  I know the crossover on the Cary is a 3rd order (18 dB per octave) phase stable design.  The parts are pretty high end, with oil filled caps, etc.  Dennis Had also knows how to make speakers.  It's a shame he did not make more at Cary.  I think he is making speakers again on a limited basis.  Still, I think the 7U's are pretty close sonically to the Cary speakers.

I think gold may be able to shed some light on the differences between monitors.  He has more of a background with the speakers.