What are you using to power your Vapor's

Factorz

What are you using to power your Vapor's
« on: 11 May 2016, 10:44 am »
I'm currently a man without a amp, and I wondering what fellow Vapor owner's are using or have used with their speakers? Thanks.

dpatters

Re: What are you using to power your Vapor's
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2016, 11:57 am »
I'm using Hypex NCore NC400 mono blocks to power my Joule Black with great results.

Don P.

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2016, 01:31 pm »
I've used a Redgum RGi120 ENR integrated with my Uber Auroras with solid results.  Good musical mojo going on there.

I have also used my Lamm M1.1s with the Auroras to nice effect.  The sound was fuller top to bottom, boarding on too full at times,  but not crossing the line.

I've got a pair of tricked out Stiff Breeze speakers coming in the next week or so which will be seeing the Redgum treatment in my living room.

GentleBender

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2016, 01:53 pm »
My Auroras are driven with an Odyssey Audio Cyclops Extreme. I haven't tried any other combo, but they sound so good together that I have no desire at the moment.  :banana piano:

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2016, 06:10 pm »
I'm currently a man without a amp, and I wondering what fellow Vapor owner's are using or have used with their speakers? Thanks.

Which speakers are you using?

Factorz

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2016, 06:23 pm »
Sorry I should have noted that Cirrus Blacks.

bajaed

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2016, 07:16 pm »
My Rogue Cronus Magnum does a great job driving my Vapor Breeze. The combination really sounds nice.

Gopher

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2016, 11:51 pm »
Loved the Cirrus driven by a push pull 300B amp by Purity.   On the more affordable end, I recently spent a few days with cirrus driven by a Musical Design T-100 elite at AXPONA and it was quite nice.

I am toying with testing the 90db efficacy rating on my Stiffies with a Coincident Dynamo 34SE 2, but an concerned 8wpc may be pushing it.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2016, 05:03 pm by Gopher »

Factorz

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2016, 04:06 pm »
Yeah I spent time in your room at Axpona when the Cirrus were being used. The Musical Design sounded good.

seadogs1

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2016, 05:47 pm »
I've downsized and now am using the Exemplar Audio Integrated to power my Joule whites and COULD NOT be Happier!!!

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2016, 07:35 pm »
Loved the Cirrus driven by a push pull 300B amp by Purity.   On the more affordable end, I recently spent a few days with cirrus driven by a Musical Design T-100 elite at AXPONA and it was quite nice.

I am toying with testing the 90db efficacy rating on my Stiffies with a Coincident Dynamo 34SE 2, but an concerned 8wpc may be pushing it.

That Purity 300B was actually SET, not Push Pull.  That was a mind-blowing 18 million microwatts powering the Cirrus.

Gopher

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2016, 08:06 pm »
I stand corrected, Pete.  pSET not PP sounds right.

That Purity (and our Lampi 7) drove the Cirrus BEAUTIFULLY back in 2014.  Security had to shut our room down at almost 10PM that Saturday of AXPONA...  the show was over for almost 4 hours, but we were rocking out hard!   :lol:

Factorz

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2016, 08:27 pm »
I'm might be wrong, but I think those were my Cirrus that was being used. Now if I could just find a way to afford them  :o

pconley2

« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2016, 12:02 am »

Parasound JC-1s powering my Ruby Joule Whites, great sound, finally settling in.  I used $32 worth of Hockey Pucks to get the Joules off the floor, very nice difference in the mid bass.

Phil

pconley2

« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2016, 12:29 am »
By the way, I would have loved to have heard the "Modded"  JC-1s from Empirical Audio that were just sold, I assume someone got a hell of a margin.

Phil

pconley2

« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2016, 12:29 am »
Bargin---fat fingers

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2016, 01:45 am »
I am toying with testing the 90db efficacy rating on my Stiffies with a Coincident Dynamo 34SE 2, but am concerned 8wpc may be pushing it.

I just took delivery of a Dynamo SE34SE MK II to mate with the Carnegie CST-1, which is supposed to be rated 89.5 db but according to the National Research Counsel, they actually measure 86 db. Caveat emptor... Manufacturers don't always get the spec right. :?

Anyhow there are a few other potential issues beyond sensitivity that you need to consider before mating a low powered amp with any speaker as detailed in this thread... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105291.0 The first post in that thread is highly recommended reading for anyone who wants to explore SET amplification.  

As for the Dynamo, I only have a little more than 20 hours on it... so it's too early to really comment, but I'll say this much... the bud is opening and blooming into a very beautiful flower.  :D
« Last Edit: 13 May 2016, 01:32 pm by Wind Chaser »

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2016, 05:52 am »
I just took delivery of a Dynamo SE34SE MK II to mate with the Carnegie CST-1, which is supposed to be rated 89.5 db but according to the National Research Counsel, they actually measure 86 db. Caveat emptor... Manufacturers don't always get the spec right. :?

Anyhow there are a few other potential issues beyond sensitivity that you need to consider before mating a low powered amp with any speaker as detailed in this thread... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105291.0 The first post in that thread is highly recommended reading for anyone who wants to explore SET amplification.  

As for the Dynamo, I only have a little more than 20 hours on it... so it's too early to really comment, but I'll say this much... the bud is opening and blooming into a very beautiful flower.  :D

Sensitivity is measured two ways, both can be considered standard methods.

dB/W and dB/2.83V (1W into 8Ohm)

For a 4 Ohm speaker using dB/2.83V you will see 3dB more output due to the fact that 2W are actually delivered.

For amps with very low output impedance, 2.83V is what matters.  For tube amps with output transformers wound for a specific load impedance, dB/W is what matters.

All that said, I can see where a manufacturer might rightly claim 89dB when its only 86dB/W.