Perfect recordings

jimdgoulding

Perfect recordings
« on: 8 Jun 2013, 04:45 am »
Equipment dependent?  Don't let that stop you.  Personal bias?  That either.  What someone else might think?  Shoosh.  I recognize that this topic may flop.  There are so many differences in one's playback-setting-experience and understanding, but I hope no one will be intimidated by that.  Here's my first offer and I'll venture to say that it's the most intimately real sounding and beautiful recording in my collection and that I have experienced elsewhere:

Music by Hinrich Philip Johnsen (1717-1779) recorded live in 1978 as performed by . . difficult to say as I don't understand Swedish, but it is on the highly regarded and justifiably so Proprius label (PROP 7805).  It features an instrumental quartet and a soprano who sometimes is accompanied by the harpsichord only and it's bloody perfect.  I love this music but don't play it for visitors cause it's just too personal.

How about one from you . .
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2013, 02:04 pm by jimdgoulding »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Perfect recordings
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2013, 04:36 pm »
This one is well known, so I'm not really bringing anything new to the table, but it is still IMO the perfect recording:
Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances and Vocalise by the Dallas Sym and Johanos.  I have it on Vox/Turnabout and also have the dbx version.  Some hear anomalies with dbx encoding; I hear amazing blackness between notes, and thunderous crescendos on an already dynamic recording.  The opening will raise you out of your chair and the timpani are so real you can touch them.  The dbx takes an otherwise great recording and raises it to my "perfect recording".
Scott

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2013, 04:35 am »
Scott, I have it and listened to it just tonite.  It's what reminded me of your post and, yes, it's a thrill to me, too.   The Scandinavian labels of which I am aware (Proprius, BIS and ODIN, in particular) are just so beautifully done some of which belong in your and everyone's collection.  KOR is a collection of choral pieces done by a Scandinavian group of 20 singers that will give you goose bumps.  I checked Proprius' website and it's no longer available but there are a bunch of choral recordings that are:  http://proprius.com/

Order one.

From ODIN is one with the name of "Fairytales" performed by a female singer in English with only a pianist and the song selection is out of this world for its beauty and simplicity.  A most excellent recording, too.

Likewise.  Cheers.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2013, 05:27 am »
Jim,
Found a KOR on ebay and it's on the way!  Keep 'em coming.

As far as "perfect recordings", I managed to find an affordable yet nm copy of the RCA Pines of Rome that is so highly sought after.  Mine is a white dog with pretty high stampers- just reluctant to turn loose of $50-125 for a clean shaded dog  :o  Still, it's obvious what all the fuss is about. Listened to it tonight.  It's a truly great recording.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2013, 05:28 am »

Who is the hipster that posted this not long ago?  Fess up, please.  That's an International Phonograph, Inc. record and Rendezvous from that label by Richard Beirach, piano, and George Mraz, bass, is to die for, for both purity of sound and content.

Good for you, Scott, for Pines of Rome and KOR.  You keep it up, too.   

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2013, 11:03 pm »
How about any of the Suzuki or Gardiner recordings of the Bach Cantatas?  I normally dislike classical vocal recordings quite a bit, but even I have to admit these are just beautifully done. 

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2013, 08:38 pm »
My benchmark Classical Recording is:

Telarc's recording of the Cleveland Orchestra, conducted by Lorin Maazel, of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition"

Anytime I tweak my system, this what I use in the Classical genre.

HsvHeelFan

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2013, 08:56 pm »
For me it's "A Trace of Grace" which is actually a free download.   :thumb:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue64/hfs1.htm

Note:  I didn't realize I was in The Classical Music Circle.  Sorry guys.    :duh:
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2013, 12:32 pm by tf121682 »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2013, 10:12 pm »
Referring to CD discs in the 90s I though the best recording was some Sheffield Labs album as Clair Marlo or Mayorga.
So came classical SACDs and it add much more space to the recording, and so far today the best recording I listen are from IsoMike:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3957

I had this Proprius SACD below and the booklet inform it was recorded in an analogue tape machine at just 15ips, not 30 ips as usual on Sheffield and Audioquest music:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3904

schubert

• I'm the one on the right
« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2013, 06:28 pm »
My candidate for a near-perfect choral recording is Rene Jacobs' version of Haydn's Seasons.  The performance is a joyful romp (my! what horns!) and the sound is exemplary - for once the chorus sounds like it was recorded in the same acoustic as the orchestra.

jupiterboy

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2013, 07:13 pm »
One of my favorite CDs and favorite composers.

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2013, 07:37 pm »
These are some of the best sounding recordings in my collection:

Very realistic tone, lively reverberation but no discernable echo, tasteful transparent compression, and the recordist not afraid of the edgy sound of a violin, or the power of a drum so he does not try to "make it better" with the EQ knobs. And of course, musical performances that are worth listening to again and again, not just for the sound quality.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2013, 10:35 pm »
For this post I'll just mention a few cds before falling happily into vinyl later. Lately I’ve been listening to the Ensemble Explorations cds on Harmonia Mundi. I'm VERY impressed with these HM recordings, especially the HM Gold series. Two that have been in frequent rotation in our house lately are:

Vivaldi: Cello Concertos, Ensemble Explorations, Roel  Dieltiens (Conductor)

Rosiini: Une larme, Duo, Serenata, Sonatas, Ensemble Explorations, Roel Dieltiens 

And also - on Linn records - Sonatas & Partitas for Violin by J.S. Bach, Christine Busch violinist, (2013) - highly recommended. Beautiful recording, beautiful playing.

Dave G

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2013, 11:36 pm »
These are some of the best sounding recordings in my collection:

Very realistic tone, lively reverberation but no discernable echo, tasteful transparent compression, and the recordist not afraid of the edgy sound of a violin, or the power of a drum so he does not try to "make it better" with the EQ knobs. And of course, musical performances that are worth listening to again and again, not just for the sound quality.

Right up my alley, just ordered it.  Thanks.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2013, 02:44 am »
To mark his passing, I've been listening to several recordings (vinyl) of Janos Starker. My favorite is the BRAHMS Sonatas for Cello and Piano Nos. 1 & 2 with Gyorgy Sebok, on Speakers Corner (Mercury Living Presence) 180g Audiophile Vinyl LP.  Absolutely gorgeous. I find that a nice Merlot helps one to settle in and complements things nicely.

carusoracer

« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2013, 05:56 pm »
Aliavox:  http://www.alia-vox.com/

Jordi Savall  I really lke the Marin Marais recordings

Really good earthy tone to his instruments :thumb:

alfajim

« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2015, 08:31 am »
Jim,
Found a KOR on ebay and it's on the way!  Keep 'em coming.

As far as "perfect recordings", I managed to find an affordable yet nm copy of the RCA Pines of Rome that is so highly sought after.  Mine is a white dog with pretty high stampers- just reluctant to turn loose of $50-125 for a clean shaded dog  :o  Still, it's obvious what all the fuss is about. Listened to it tonight.  It's a truly great recording.

S Clark got luck and picked up a NM copy of this original shaded dog mono  of the Toscanini NBC version in the green binder special edition with booklet. Really like the Fountains of Rome side very lite and musical.

As for your other album of rach's vocalise if you want to hear a vocal rendition that is out of this world get the new CD Awakenings by Jackie Evancho her treatese of this is astounding especially as she is only lust 14 yrs old also check out her version of rach's Ave Maria, WOW!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2015, 11:11 am »
Aliavox:  http://www.alia-vox.com/

Jordi Savall  I really lke the Marin Marais recordings

Really good earthy tone to his instruments :thumb:
Savall is fully underated on the saxonic music media.
A great classical producer and musician.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2015, 11:44 am »
Music by Hinrich Philip Johnsen (1717-1779) recorded live in 1978 as performed by . . difficult to say as I don't understand Swedish, but it is on the highly regarded and justifiably so Proprius label (PROP 7805).  It features an instrumental quartet and a soprano who sometimes is accompanied by the harpsichord only and it's bloody perfect.  I love this music but don't play it for visitors cause it's just too personal.

How about one from you . .
Usually Proprius recorded analogue tape at only 15ips, not 30 as Sheffield and AudioQuestMusic (Joe Harley);

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2015, 02:23 pm »
Doesn't matter what tape speed.  Still sounds amazing.