Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

OzarkTom

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #860 on: 29 Nov 2014, 02:36 am »
My buddy Rex says the DM Pioneers has more detail than his KEF LS-50's have. :o

lextek

« Reply #861 on: 30 Nov 2014, 10:34 pm »
Just picked up a pair of these at Best Buy on sale $99.  Curious how they compare to my "vintage" Paradigm Atoms.

lextek

« Reply #862 on: 3 Dec 2014, 01:09 am »
After picking up the Pioneers I stumbled across a used NAD316BEE for $160 on Craigslist.  Dug out my old Sony DVPS700 and have a nice system.  Amazing how how far some of the audio gear has come.  I may have to start buying CDs again....

dhobo

« Reply #863 on: 2 Jan 2015, 02:56 am »
I just bought two pairs of SP-BS22-LR over the past week locally for good price.

I must say they are far from perfect to my liking but they have a spell on me to really enjoy them! I am keen on trying the easy mod and the "fun" mod, just to fulfill my "tinkering" need. And I come from comparing with my high resolution RAAL Ribbon and higher excursion woofer monitors.

When locally available, I'm also planning to buy the Pioneer SP-SB03 Speaker Base the bedroom!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/sound-bar-reviews/pioneer-sp-sb03-review/

cedman1

« Reply #864 on: 13 Feb 2015, 04:43 am »
Just ordered these for my daughter's 17th birthday.  Excited to show her how to connect them and have the first listen with her.  Will report back, however I don't expect my findings to be much different than the many positive notes already in this thread.

milpai

• My Dedicated Audio Room
« Reply #865 on: 17 Feb 2015, 05:20 pm »
Very nice cedman1.
Where will these be used? What about the amplification and source?
These are some real nice speakers. I have these and the floorstanders as well.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #866 on: 17 Feb 2015, 08:01 pm »
guys, I have a pair of these with....DMurphy  upgrades, speaker isolation stands manual and box.  I bought them for the TV downstairs and my wife opted for the Pioneer Andrew Jones soundbar instead  :duh:.  If there is any interest let me know.  No longer available
Guy
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2015, 11:27 pm by playntheblues »

Scoville

« Reply #867 on: 23 Feb 2015, 11:16 pm »
guys, I have a pair of these with....DMurphy  upgrades, speaker isolation stands manual and box.  I bought them for the TV downstairs and my wife opted for the Pioneer Andrew Jones soundbar instead  :duh:.  If there is any interest let me know.
Guy

Just sent you a pm

hesson11

« Reply #868 on: 24 Feb 2015, 12:42 am »
I've got a pair of the BS-22s and really like them. The highs don't really bother me, but the most negative thing about them that I hear is a bit of a nasal or cupped-hand quality, especially in the lower mids/upper bass. Do the modifications address this in any way? THANKS.
-Bob
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2015, 01:46 am by hesson11 »

charmerci

« Reply #869 on: 24 Feb 2015, 04:48 am »
I've got a pair of the BS-22s and really like them. The highs don't really bother me, but the most negative thing about them that I hear is a bit of a nasal or cupped-hand quality, especially in the lower mids/upper bass. Do the modifications address this in any way? THANKS.
-Bob

I did not care for them at higher volumes until I dampened the walls. A couple of 3/4" braces inside will take care of that.

JLG440

« Reply #870 on: 1 Mar 2015, 03:46 am »
-Bob
Hi Bob, I just did D. Murphy mods. and did not notice any nasal or cupped hand problem for the contrary I think mid and highs  sound great and bass is outstanding good, the speakers are very lively , detail is jaw dropping . The BS-22s sounds amazing and incredible for only 200.00 a pair (with D, Murphy mod.).

OzarkTom

« Reply #871 on: 1 Mar 2015, 01:44 pm »
My buddy Rex says his KEF LS-50's is more refined, but he prefers the bigger soundstage that his DMurphey Pioneers gives him. He might be selling his KEF's soon.

srb

« Reply #872 on: 8 Mar 2015, 09:30 am »
Although the SP-BS22-LR has normally gone on and off sale every few weeks, it's been a few months since there was any sale price off of the ~ $130 street price.

They are now on sale again:

Amazon - $90 w/ free shipping  (in stock)
B&H Photo - $87 w/ free shipping  (out of stock - more available soon)
Best Buy - $91 w/ free shipping (in stock)

Amazon also has the matching SP-C22 center ($67), SP-FS52-LR floorstanders ($180) and SW-8Mk2 subwoofer ($107) on sale and the other vendors might as well, but I didn't check for these.

Steve
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2015, 07:18 pm by srb »

Zero

« Reply #873 on: 10 Jul 2015, 02:25 am »
Hey boys,

I just wanted to let you all know that I posted my impressions of the BS-22's on my Youtube channel.  Feel free to check it out @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIsD03tcUo0

Now to give you all a heads-up; my videos are insanely basic. I follow no script and I barely edit whatever I film.  My only concern is making sure that the content accurately reflects what a product can and cannot do.  So erm yeah..  thanks for watching.  :D 

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #874 on: 10 Jul 2015, 05:14 am »
Hey boys,

I just wanted to let you all know that I posted my impressions of the BS-22's on my Youtube channel.  Feel free to check it out @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIsD03tcUo0

Now to give you all a heads-up; my videos are insanely basic. I follow no script and I barely edit whatever I film.  My only concern is making sure that the content accurately reflects what a product can and cannot do.  So erm yeah..  thanks for watching.  :D

That's a decent review, thanks.

Zero

« Reply #875 on: 10 Jul 2015, 05:34 pm »
Yeah, I confess it was pretty rushed. 

danali

« Reply #876 on: 21 Jul 2015, 10:13 pm »
Dumb question, have the speakers and matching sub. Running through a laptop and a topping amp.
How do I hook the whole thing up?
Anyone else running a similar setup?
 :duh:

JCS

« Reply #877 on: 22 Jul 2015, 03:48 pm »
The question is NOT dumb!

IIRC, your Topping amp is a T-amp (a form of class D) which uses BTL topology.  The sub cannot safely be connected via speaker level cables, as all the output terminals are 'hot'; i.e. there is no 'common ground' as you find in most bipolar transistor amps.

You need to either take a line level output from the computer or obtain a special adapter which will convert the speaker level amp output into line level signals which would then connect to the RCA inputs of the sub.  Just connecting the speaker level output of the T-amp to the speaker level input of the sub can release the magic smoke from your amp!

Cheers, Jim

FireGuy

« Reply #878 on: 22 Jul 2015, 03:58 pm »
  Just connecting the speaker level output of the T-amp to the speaker level input of the sub can release the magic smoke from your amp!

Cheers, Jim
[/quote]

Good call.  Audio home safety should never be ignored.

genjamon

« Reply #879 on: 22 Jul 2015, 05:05 pm »
That's a decent review, thanks.

Yeah, nice review.  My only critique would be your very last statement that you don't think anyone is going to be able to do anything similar anytime soon.  I've heard Andrew Jones is about to release a $200 range speaker through Elac that everyone at the shows has been blown away by.  So, maybe you should have said no one other than Andrew Jones is going to be able to do anything similar anytime soon...  8) :lol:

But seriously, thanks for the review.  I've had these speakers for a couple years and agree with your findings.  Very natural and integrated sound - great monitors.  I even run them with the 2.5 watt Miniwatt, and they're perfect for TV watching - despite the low wattage amp and the low efficiency of the speakers.  They get that midrange right, which is the key.  Bass can be a bit tubby sometimes, depending on room positioning and amplification.  And treble isn't that sophisticated on the stock models.  But all the frequencies are balanced well with each other, and great for the price.  Good stuff.