Oppo BDP-103 as a multi format transport & renderer ?

jpm

I'm curious about people's impressions from using the Oppo BDP-103 as a disc transport and network renderer.  Oppo states clearly that the only differences between the 103 and 105 are the power supply, DAC chips and analogue components. From this, it suggests to me that only the power supply is likely to have a bearing on performance of the 103.

Does anyone have experience of using the 103 in this way and how does it compare to other transports and renderers?

« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2015, 11:57 pm by jpm »

Phil A

Re: Oppo BDP-103 as a multi format transport & renderer ?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2015, 12:04 am »
Not tried on my 103Ds (one in the main system and one in a secondary system) as a network renderer yet (is one my agenda and I'd imagine that eventually I'll use it perhaps in the master bedroom which feeds the outdoor speakers when I get a new Oppo down the road.).  I do not use disc playback much (I have a couple of meetings of the Space Coast Audio Society at my place a year) on the main system except when people come over.  It makes a good transport (not sure if it is as good as my Marantz DV9600 (which now sits in a guest room), which was better than my old modded BDP-83 as a transport.  I will play an occasional disc and used the second 103D as a player a few times a year and also have a hard drive attached to it with DSD files and it does a nice job.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2015, 01:58 am »
I think you're stretching a bit.
With both the 103 and 105, you get what you pay for. Both are AMAZING values.
With that said, the 105 is close to double the price of the 103 for one primary reason : Increased audio performance all around. Oppo states this. Many reviews do also. THIS is why it costs more.
The 103, while no slouch, was built for video-philes who will likely use external audio processing anyway.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2015, 03:26 am »
I pretty much use my 103Ds for video.  That's all it gets used for in the main system except for a few CDs others bring when I have a meeting at my place.  The secondary system I have on the other it is used for video and on occasion when I get a new SACD I may play it in there (my PS3 which burns the disc image is in there and I'll generally leave the disc there for a few days and perhaps once in a while give it a spin before putting the disc away).  I also have some multi-channel DSD files on the hard drive attached to that 103D and when someone comes over and wants to hear them they are ready to go.

jpm

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2015, 03:55 am »
But when you only use the digital audio output, you're not using the DAC or analogue bits. So is there a case to be made for paying the premium for the 105? 

As I already have a 105 I may end up buying  the 103 and comparing them for myself, but if anyone has experience - at least as a disc transport - it would be very interesting.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2015, 04:11 am »
But when you only use the digital audio output, you're not using the DAC or analogue bits. So is there a case to be made for paying the premium for the 105? 

As I already have a 105 I may end up buying  the 103 and comparing them for myself, but if anyone has experience - at least as a disc transport - it would be very interesting.

Correct.  I have music servers in two systems (one with a 103D and one with an old modded 83).  Neither of these system really sees any disc playback from me.  It's there for when someone comes over.  In the main system, I just really use it for video.  In the other system with a music server, I have it sitting there with an HDMI audio de-embedder (for converting SACD discs to 24/88.2) just for kicks and I have the players.  In the other system with the 103D, the system gets mainly used for daytime TV (other rooms are bright) mostly during football season.  It's got a 50 inch TV that I only sit 7.5 feet away and if something goes in another system or I get a new Oppo (next year) I'll consider getting a new TV (I will be getting a new rec'r too).

Do you use the 105 with an outboard DAC?

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2015, 04:40 am »
+1 I would probably save the $ and go with the 103, in cases where processing is done elsewhere. The 105 is still the better overall machine. However, I'm willing to bet the advantages don't outweigh the cost difference and are largely irrelevant in all but the most absolutely revealing systems, per this scenario (outboard processing).
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2015, 02:17 pm by RDavidson »

jpm

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2015, 06:19 am »
I use the 105 feeding a pair of Musical Fidelity 550K Superchargers through the line inputs directly. My HT receiver feeds the speaker level inputs and I switch between the two inputs as needed.

Since I like spinning discs, whether vinyl or CD, the jack of all trades nature of Oppo players is appealing as a transport for the Devialet 120 in my home office. Use as a renderer would be occasional but is likely to increase a bit. Video is superfluous, but a plus if the unit gets re-purposed later.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2015, 08:56 pm »
I have a 103 that I initially used as a bridge with another dac.  I finally decided to buy a  Bryston BUC-1 (usb to spdif converter) and put my Oppo 103 in the den where it belonged.  The 103 doesn't have an asynchronous usb input so it can't sound as good as the 105.  My Bryston was a game changer for me.  The improvement was not subtle.

jonbee

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2015, 11:35 pm »
I use my 103D for movies. I had been spinning discs and sending the audio through my NAD M51, but I'm finishing the setup of a NAS for all my media- music through PCs to DACs and ripped videos will play through the networked OPPO, which will render the video and pass the audio to the NAD. Preliminary tests as a renderer of MKV files are very promising- I can't distinguish my best dvd from the rendered mkv file, audio or video.