All This Talk About "Breathable" Fabric...

spence

All This Talk About "Breathable" Fabric...
« on: 8 Mar 2014, 12:27 pm »
I read about bass traps needing breathable fabric, then I read posts from reputable people saying that you can just stack rolls of store bought insulation in plastic wrap and just stack them in the corners. Last time I checked, you can't breath through plastic wrap, so what's the deal? I've got a bunch of GIK 244 & 242 in my home studio control room, and tri-traps in my living room, but I'd like to try the stacked roll trick in a couple unobtrusive corners if it would work. I would probably just wrap some fabric around the bales to help with the looks. Any advice on this?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
Re: All This Talk About "Breathable" Fabric...
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2014, 12:13 pm »
If the fabric is being used for early reflection points, then it should be breathable. If used for bass trapping it is not as critical.  So yes stacking fiberglass in the corner with the plastic is fine. The only problem is the fiberglass is compressed in the bag  can affect things negatively. There was a test  on Gearslutz that showed in the bag vs out of the bag, which out of the bag won. Not by a ton, so don't over think it. ;)

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2014, 12:32 pm »
I have to give this a try myself, even have 2 big bags of Roxul just sitting in garage.

spence

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2014, 01:31 pm »
Thanks Glenn,
    Would it be ok to put fluffy stuff inside thin plastic garbage bags, and fill the space above a drop ceiling instead of laying the raw insulation (R-30) right on top of the tiles? I need to get into the space above the ceiling tiles at times to access cables, lighting and such, and it would be difficult to do that with the raw insulation weighing down the tiles. It would be easier and less messy getting up in there if the insulation was in plastic bags. I've got a 6x6 ceiling cloud built into the grid over the listening position with 242s, and I would probably just lay the raw stuff right on top. 

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2014, 02:25 pm »
That would be fine. The only effect would be what I said above, but it still is going to work well.

spence

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2014, 12:18 pm »
Thanks again Glenn,
      I've got a couple extra 242 panels and was thinking about using them sandwiched together as a corner trap. Would this be advisable? Have you ever measured a couple 242s sandwiched together against a 244?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2014, 01:54 pm »
Sorry but I have never tried that before. I would think it would work, but hard to say 100% for sure.