New Stereomojo review of our Insight+ 240 power amp!

avahifi

Art_Chicago

Re: New Stereomojo review of our Insight+ 240 power amp!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2010, 10:31 pm »
Great, Frank, an excellent review!
( except the reviewer is talking about Jordi Savall as a cello player, he is actually a viola de gamba player, but that is a minor detail)

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2010, 11:52 pm »
A real "deusy" of a review.  And now I know where that phrase came from!

timjthomas

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2010, 12:14 am »
Great review.  I've had the Carbon 7s and Insight 240+ for about a year now and couldn't be happier.

For those interested, I did a review of the Carbon 7s in the December 2009 issue of Affordable Audio.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2010, 10:24 am by timjthomas »

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:20 am »
Timj, care to post a few comments on the Carbon 7? Maybe in another circle, rather than AVA's. Thanks.

turkey

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2010, 02:15 pm »
I got as far as reading the sidebar, where he thinks that speakers "remember" the sound of the amp that's been driving them. :)

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2010, 04:08 pm »
Actually Turkey, speakers can remember the sound of the amp that had been driving them, when the amp driving them had a lot of DC offset and/or out of band HF oscillations and either bottomed out the woofers and/or cooked the tweeters.   :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2010, 04:47 pm »
Actually Turkey, speakers can remember the sound of the amp that had been driving them, when the amp driving them had a lot of DC offset and/or out of band HF oscillations and either bottomed out the woofers and/or cooked the tweeters.   :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Yes, but he wasn't talking about that, and actual damage to the speakers won't be fixed by "breaking it in again" with another amp that's "just swell." :)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2010, 06:32 pm »
Congrats Frank on the strong review.

This review was useful to me as I'm considering the EE DAC and a bigger amp (currently using 40 watt monoblocks).  And I've heard (and was impressed by the Carbon 7 speakers).

But I don't know this reviewer (and he should have stopped before making comparisons to Bose or stuff from Best Buys).

turkey

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2010, 06:37 pm »
Congrats Frank on the strong review.

It's good to see Frank getting some notice in the press. He deserves it.

I just have very little use for most reviewers. As Frank used to put it, page after page of purple prose. :)

Listens2tubes

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:26 am »
Very nice review there Frank. :thumb: It is great that once again one of your quality products reviewed so your happy customers can alert future happy customers. 8)

cornelius

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2010, 04:51 pm »
Nice review for Frank.  But I do have little confidence in the reviewer when they're talking about discerning the "the differences between hitting slightly on the top side or the bottom side of the high-hat".  Hmm... :scratch:

Regardless, I'm sure the 240 is a great amp, we don't need a review to know this, but it's nice to see...

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2010, 05:54 pm »
Nice review for Frank.  But I do have little confidence in the reviewer when they're talking about discerning the "the differences between hitting slightly on the top side or the bottom side of the high-hat".  Hmm... :scratch:

Regardless, I'm sure the 240 is a great amp, we don't need a review to know this, but it's nice to see...

As a musician (at least I've conned enough people into paying me money to make noises that sound like music to them) I can say the hihat distinctions are plausible, especially in a live, more or less low volume setting.  Right now I'm sure I couldn't tell you the difference, but I'm sure most of us could learn the difference.

mfsoa

« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2010, 07:15 pm »
The HH cymbals I have feature two distinctly different sounds (much thicker cymbal on the bottom) so they do sound much different hit top or bottom.

-Mike

cornelius

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2010, 08:54 pm »
Typically bottom hihats are heavier than the top to help project, so yes, they do sound different.  The way it was written one assumes the hihats were closed, but if they're open, then you'll very easily hear a difference.

ricmon

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:03 am »
Get some Max Roach albums and listen closely.  You'll herd all sorts of sounds coming from the cymbal alone.  Not to mention all the stuff he does with the rim, different areas of the snare and so forth.

Ric

trebejo

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2010, 09:44 am »
There's some magnificently textured percussion in Santana's Moonflower album. I knew that back in the day (yessssss, 8-track tape, who-knows-what receiver and who-knows-what speakers but, hey, younger ears!). I knew that from watching his band on film (Woodstock?). Heck, I was blown away when I heard it through the Stax headphones.

But I never, evaah heard it as textured and intricate as when I got one of Frank's amps. So who's responsible? Well, until it gets an alibi or a better lawyer, I'll blame the slew rate.

It's not the only thing that Frank's amps do well, but this thing, oh man...  8)