Cleaning AC connectors

aln

Cleaning AC connectors
« on: 21 Oct 2014, 01:07 pm »
I recently picked up a Omegastar EC preamp on EBAY which I am using in my TV production studio.  I thought it to be a very nice preamp, but a little forward in the highs (around 1K or so).  Today, I decided to do a cleaning on the AC connectors using Deox D100L it first than Deoxit proGold last.  Plugged everything in-my what a difference!  Bass goes down further (try Luminol by Steve Wilson) and the gritty high end is gone.  Very Nice!  Depth and separation also improved greatly.  I recommend that everyone try a cleaning with  Deoxit Pro gold cleaner. It works.

heiba

Re: Cleaning AC connectors
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2014, 01:48 pm »
Perhaps Frank could write something about cleaning contacts etc.
on AVA equipment? I have three AVA pre amps and three AVA power
amps here.

Ola

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2014, 02:39 pm »
We clean the switches, controls, and jacks with Deoxit D5 on all older AVA equipment coming here for service or upgrade.  I can't recall hearing Deoxit making any sonic difference at all using our ABX test setup except in the case of fixing really defective switch contacts.

On an older preamp done prior to our conversion to IEC power jacks and plug in power cords I am at a loss as to what "AC connectors" there would be to clean and improve other then the two power cord end blades.

Anticipation bias rules out there for sure.  The ABX box use kills lots of forlorn hopes.

Frank

aln

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2014, 03:38 pm »
The AC connectors are indeed the two prong ones that came prior to the conversion to IEC.  All I can say is there is an improvement and well worth the cost  (which is Zero).  Love the EC preamp BTW-the left and right mono switches are very useful when listening to field footage interviews where the audio is on one track.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:43 pm »
I recently picked up a Omegastar EC preamp on EBAY which I am using in my TV production studio.  I thought it to be a very nice preamp, but a little forward in the highs (around 1K or so).  Today, I decided to do a cleaning on the AC connectors using Deox D100L it first than Deoxit proGold last.  Plugged everything in-my what a difference!  Bass goes down further (try Luminol by Steve Wilson) and the gritty high end is gone.  Very Nice!  Depth and separation also improved greatly.  I recommend that everyone try a cleaning with  Deoxit Pro gold cleaner. It works.

It's been a must-buy for me since I got into this hobby.

santacore

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2014, 04:06 pm »
To stay on this topic-what do you recommend using to clean connectors with the D5? Recently I've been using the "magic eraser" type pads.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2014, 04:15 pm »
    Deoxit works just fine. IMO the most affective cleaner on the market. So we do all this cleaning and the duplex outlet remains dirty. Clean that and be very happy. How you say ? Turn off breaker, take a spare plug spray deoxit on it and plug in and out several times. Your done. enjoy !

charles

aln

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2014, 04:53 pm »
A good point and very good advice.  Turning off the breakers when doing anything with the wall outlets is mandatory.  Thank you.

santacore

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2014, 05:05 pm »
Good advice for sure. I've been using DeOxit for years, but was specifically inquiring about what you use wipe it on. A rag, q-tips, sponge or what not? I've even heard of people using sand paper to clean contacts, which seems like a really bad idea.

aln

What to use to clean contacts?
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2014, 07:09 pm »
On the ac outlets (two prong outlets as well as three) I use a clean rag.  If the contacts are really bad-one can clean them first with something like Flitz and then follow up with a rag to apply the DeOx it.  For rca connections, a q tips is good as well as those special RCA cleaners that Music Direct sells.  I use them on my male and female rca outlets.  Of course we can also clean the pins on  our tubes as well.  I usually just spray them with DeOx it, and then wipe them clean with a q tip.  A little goes a long way so don't over do the spraying as that can cause problems as well.