Question concerning 400R

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Question concerning 400R
« on: 14 Oct 2014, 08:51 pm »
Frank (or Larry?),

I've had my new 400R for nearly one week and I'm still digesting all the improvements in the music I hear. I immediately noticed more powerful and better controlled bass. [I love this!!] I'm floored by the midrange.

Could you explain, in reasonably layman terms, what it is in a higher quality amplifier such as your Fet Valve amps that brings out more bass/better controlled bass? [At this point you could simply tell me it's magic and I'd likely believe you, but a little science wouldn't hurt.]

Regards,

Michael

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Question concerning 400R
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2014, 04:31 pm »
Best to allow Frank to answer this one.  But in a nut shell, its a great design and engineering with quality parts and caring about the sound.

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2014, 07:14 pm »
Why do our Fet Valve amplifiers have such stunning audio performance?

Three basic reasons.

First, because these are unique audio designs, unlike any other amplifiers out there.  They could be considered to be elegant single ended Class A tube amplifiers followed by ultra fast and powerful current amplifiers with very low output impedances.

Second, because each separate active device section has its own independent regulated power supply.  There are independent regulated power supplies for each plate of each tube, for each small signal power mos-fet in the transimpedance section, and for each output current amplifier section.  In addition there are even separate regulated power supplies for each tube heater.  This means the amplifier remains rock solid under dynamic transient conditions and plays all the music exactly as demanded with no mush out from supply rails moving because of high current demands.

Third, these amplifiers are uniquely designed for unconditional stability.  Every node has a Q of 0.5 so there is no possible ringing or transient overshoot under any condition.  Every power supply feed, every audio feed, and even the ground feeds are critically damped.  This allows complete use of the awesome speed of the Exicon power mosfet output devices and a real power bandwidth -3dB at 4Hz on the low end and 350,000 Hz at the high end. No transient overshoot means no mud and no rough edges. In addition absolute stability provides superior fault tolerance because transient overloads do not generate excess component destroying heat.

The end result is the lovely musicality you have noticed.  You are not alone.  In addition to Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy, David Janszen recently acquired two Fet Valve 400R amplifiers to drive his Janszen electrostatic speakers at consumer trade shows.  His room got a best sound rave report from one international audio publication at the recent Munich, Germany show where he was using the 240V version of the Fet Valve 400R.

Frank Van Alstine

mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2014, 12:03 am »
Frank,

Thank you. You have worked magic on my system. I'm very happy.  :thumb:

robcentola

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:53 am »
I've got my eye on this one. I keep going back and forth with a variety of amps, but I keep coming back to this one.

mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2014, 04:52 pm »
Based on my experience leading up to my decision to own one and my current level of satisfaction, I quite understand.

OMG! I've become a fanboy! "Keep your distance, folks. Move along. It's just a fanboy." :lol:

[Hey, Frank. Could I get a commission for talking up your wares?] :eyebrows:

mark funk

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2014, 06:38 pm »
You might have to stand in line for that. :lol:  :thumb:

:smoke:

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:39 pm »
I asked first, so I have dibs.  :wink:

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:09 pm »
Hey!  Even I don't get a commission on sales of AVA equipment.  All I get is whats left over after paying all the bills (and the IRS) and sometimes that is a negative.  Thank god for SS and Medicare! If I was not doing this just because I love it I wouldn't be doing it.

Frank