BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

BSMSPEMBA

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1060 on: 27 Jul 2015, 11:12 am »
I got it working.  apparently i was connecting to the guest feature of the router and it didn't like that......
It is great to know that you don't necessarily have to string cat5 all over your attic.
Now I'm going to be looking for a super tiny ethernet router that can sit behind the bdp2.....
Maybe Bryston needs to make the future BDP wifi and bluetooth enabled.....

You may want to use the Apple Airport Express, since you are already using an Apple computer.  It is a good, small router.

https://www.apple.com/airport-express/

CDinsmore

Cover Art Issue
« Reply #1061 on: 4 Sep 2015, 04:08 pm »
I've had my BD1 now for a couple of years now and love it.  I've recently experienced a problem with the cover art on a couple discs that I've never had before.  I downloaded a digital album from Bandcamp and then transferred it to to my BD-1 hard drive same as I usually do.  When I viewed the album (disc #1) in Mpad I noticed that it had the cover art of a different album in my collection (disc #2).  I assumed that I must have copied the wrong cover art file so I deleted it, copied over the correct file, and updated the database.  After doing this I was surprised that the wrong cover art was still there.  I did this a couple of times with the same result.  I finally deleted the cover art entirely.....not only from the folder containing disc #1, but also from disc #2 thinking that perhaps there was a link between the two folders.  I updated the database again expecting not to see cover art for either album.  However, I am still seeing the incorrect cover art for both disc #1 and and disc #2.  I even went into the Cover Wizard for each album and selected the Local Cover Art (which is now blank), updated the database, but still with no effect.

Anyone have an idea as to what is going on? 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1062 on: 5 Sep 2015, 01:26 am »
have you tried clearing the cover art cache?

CDinsmore

« Reply #1063 on: 5 Sep 2015, 01:49 am »
No I haven't.  Didn't realize there was such a thing.  How do I do it?  BTW...really appreciate the response/help.

CDinsmore

« Reply #1064 on: 5 Sep 2015, 05:31 pm »
Unincognito - I figured out how to clear the cache and it worked!  Thank you. 

Ansum

« Reply #1065 on: 28 Sep 2015, 07:55 pm »
I have two questions regarding firmware updates for the BDPs.

1. In case one buys a second hand BDP is one still eligible for firmware updates?

2. Although the BDP-1 is discontinued will it continue to receive firmware updates?

Thanks in advance.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1066 on: 28 Sep 2015, 08:31 pm »
I have two questions regarding firmware updates for the BDPs.

1. In case one buys a second hand BDP is one still eligible for firmware updates?

2. Although the BDP-1 is discontinued will it continue to receive firmware updates?

Thanks in advance.

Yes to both sir  :thumb:

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #1067 on: 3 Oct 2015, 11:31 pm »
I really need to know what's up with my BDP-2.
Have had her for perhaps 2yrs and have had to change the main board.
Have had the new sound card installed about 3 months ago.
WHY IS IT I ALWAYS HAVE TO SHUT MY BDP-2 DOWN WITHIN A WEEK EVERY TIME AT LEAST TO GET IT TO PLAY.
Everything freezes up,can't go from from one song to the next from the created playlist(EVEN REFRESHING IT).
None of the buttons (icons) work on IPad,HCP,or Manic moose,Nothing External or internal HOME HCP OR ANYTHING
Of all the times I have had to send it in for  something even my audio dealer are surprised I don`t have a new one.
Christ my AV-8 has been on since 2006 24/7 and not a hick up as all my amps ect,even my BCD-1 was better.
Tryin not to BITCH,but reeeeealy.
I love my my BDP-2(when it works),
but when your in the mood for tunes and of course she Fcks up at least once a week,

I will add  when I first got the  BDP-2 she was plugged into a 240v 20a Torus,then I went direct to wall and finally went with a RM Surgex which has helped tremendously ,
Just want to play the music with n F K ups
then I ALWAYS have to power her down unplug the FKN cord ..................WAIT and start all over.
AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS TROUBLES WITH THE BDP`S,
if that is so and nobody else seems to have troubles with the obviously I have a dud.
Tryin to behave here and I`m just tryin to ENJOY the music which gets very difficult as the F`ups  are way to frequent(ONCE A WEEK if I leave the BDP-2 on 24/7
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2015, 12:50 am by drummermitchell »

Rod_S

« Reply #1068 on: 4 Oct 2015, 12:57 am »
I've only had mine since June but no issues at all. Occasionally it takes a bit of time to load up all of my songs but other than that no complaints. I certainly wouldn't leave I on 24/7 though.

brucek

« Reply #1069 on: 4 Oct 2015, 09:00 pm »
WHY IS IT I ALWAYS HAVE TO SHUT MY BDP-2 DOWN WITHIN A WEEK EVERY TIME AT LEAST TO GET IT TO PLAY.
Everything freezes up,can't go from from one song to the next from the created playlist(EVEN REFRESHING IT).
None of the buttons (icons) work on IPad,HCP,or Manic moose,Nothing External or internal HOME HCP OR ANYTHING
Of all the times I have had to send it in for  something even my audio dealer are surprised I don`t have a new one.
Christ my AV-8 has been on since 2006 24/7 and not a hick up as all my amps ect,even my BCD-1 was better.
but when your in the mood for tunes and of course she Fcks up at least once a week,

I will add  when I first got the  BDP-2 she was plugged into a 240v 20a Torus,then I went direct to wall and finally went with a RM Surgex which has helped tremendously ,
then I ALWAYS have to power her down unplug the FKN cord ..................WAIT and start all over.
if that is so and nobody else seems to have troubles with the obviously I have a dud.
Tryin to behave here and I`m just tryin to ENJOY the music which gets very difficult as the F`ups  are way to frequent(ONCE A WEEK if I leave the BDP-2 on 24/7

Wow, quite a story, and you seem like you're actually holding back from what you would really like to say. I sympathize.

If I owned the company and read this tale of woe, I'd send you a brand new unit, no charge, and stay in contact to be sure it didn't happen again. The cost to the company is insignificant, as opposed to this very real anecdote that has a much larger negative effect.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1070 on: 4 Oct 2015, 09:55 pm »

Has the IP address been changing?  Every week seems like the duration a DHCP lease time might set for. 

drummermitchell

« Reply #1071 on: 5 Oct 2015, 12:26 am »
Chris I don't believe so,
I'll give yo a shout tomorrow.
IP address  has been the same,
once a week she freezes up and have to power her down and reboot and it happens of course when were groovin with the oldies.
Maybe that it LOL.
I'll say also when you play a track..before when track is playing and the NEXT tune is up it stays where it is even 4-5 tracks later.
Before playin was playin and next was next,now she just stays on the track that is playing.
9 my time is about 10-10-30 your time,THX.

mattchristiani

« Reply #1072 on: 21 Oct 2015, 06:10 pm »
I just acquired a BDP-1 and it works like a charm. The sound is fantastic. I bought a few Kingston 64GB USB drives and did the drag and drop in iTunes to the drive using Apple lossless format. The BDP-1 won't recognized the drive when I plug it into it???? What am I doing wrong? It shows up in red at the bottom but you can't access it.

Mbain

« Reply #1073 on: 23 Oct 2015, 07:38 pm »
James,
    Recently, while attempting a firmware upgrade on my Bdp-1, I have run into a lot of trouble with Manic Moose.  I have emailed Chris and have posted for Unincognito without problem resolution.  Today Ihave attempted to contact Chris and Unicognito without success.  They are probably are very busy.  Perhaps you could prod them.

Mark Bain
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2015, 08:39 pm by Mbain »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1074 on: 23 Oct 2015, 10:10 pm »
James,
    Recently, while attempting a firmware upgrade on my Bdp-1, I have run into a lot of trouble with Manic Moose.  I have emailed Chris and have posted for Unincognito without problem resolution.  Today Ihave attempted to contact Chris and Unicognito without success.  They are probably are very busy.  Perhaps you could prod them.

Mark Bain

Hi Mark,

will do.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #1075 on: 24 Oct 2015, 12:18 am »
Cough  :duh:and many more.
I thought my BDP-2 was haywire....not the case.
Since I had connect wifi for outside the BDP worked fantastic most of the summer,after that I started having a few issues(POSTED ABOVE)
Couldn't be my wifi as it worked great before so I assummed it was the BDP...NOT.
Started to trouble shoot,in house worked great......sooooooooooo I decided to connect a range extender(AMPED).
Here we go a good hour and a bit with no hick ups so far so good.
Then I would have to refresh my ipad to go to the next track as she would freeeze up....good for another half hr or so.
Chatted with Chris and probably is better to hard wire my range extender as even double pane windows will make her drop 10% or so.
So far she has been pretty good,sides shes's gettin cooler outside.
Any I'd like to apologize if I pissed any one off since it had to be the BDP and not my wifi,since it worked great before.
A little trouble shooting goes  long ways which I didn't think about.
Far as the hard wire ,we'll see in the spring,so all's good.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1076 on: 24 Oct 2015, 04:18 am »
You might look into ethernet over power wire. You won't win any through put awards, but it's plenty fast enough for music.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #1077 on: 25 Oct 2015, 06:08 am »
drummer mitchell,
 the BDP's are wonderful units.  i understand your frustration but please try to keep the tone more respectful. the Byston staff are incredibly accessible and, in my experience, offer help whenever issues arise.
for what's its worth, i turn my BDP off regularly after use, keep up with firmware updates and it works fine when I'm ready to listen again.
hope you have better luck in the future -  happy listening.
TJ.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1078 on: 25 Oct 2015, 06:51 pm »
Cough  :duh:and many more.
I thought my BDP-2 was haywire....not the case.
Since I had connect wifi for outside the BDP worked fantastic most of the summer,after that I started having a few issues(POSTED ABOVE)
Couldn't be my wifi as it worked great before so I assummed it was the BDP...NOT.
Started to trouble shoot,in house worked great......sooooooooooo I decided to connect a range extender(AMPED).
Here we go a good hour and a bit with no hick ups so far so good.
Then I would have to refresh my ipad to go to the next track as she would freeeze up....good for another half hr or so.
Chatted with Chris and probably is better to hard wire my range extender as even double pane windows will make her drop 10% or so.
So far she has been pretty good,sides shes's gettin cooler outside.
Any I'd like to apologize if I pissed any one off since it had to be the BDP and not my wifi,since it worked great before.
A little trouble shooting goes  long ways which I didn't think about.
Far as the hard wire ,we'll see in the spring,so all's good.

Good to hear.

2 things I did for my BDP-1 a while back.
1. Use an ethernet over power line (Netgear).
2. Use a powered USB hub for my pocket drives (500GB G-Drives) feeding ONE USB-A slot in back of BDP-1.

Am still using Loony Loon, I refuse to "upgrade" to Moose, as I've read so many glitches on other forums, incl the Bryston Support Forum.

Cheers

TJ-Sully

« Reply #1079 on: 26 Oct 2015, 03:57 am »
question for chris or james.

i listened to Tidal 'directly' through the BDP1 for the first time today....Dashboard > Applications > Tidal Beta  and seemed to work fairly well - but when i switched back to the Media Player to access tracks from my external drive (as normal) i couldn't hear the music. i could see the track playing like normal, but no sound. i tried refreshing the screen a few times, but no love. i ended up doing a re-boot and could listen just fine again. i listened from Tidal again tonight and when i tried to access my library again, i got the same result - no sound. i'm running version S2.18 . sorry if you've answered this question in a previous thread..:scratch:

cheers, TJ.