Uplifting experience for my Spatial M2 Turbo's

mick wolfe

Uplifting experience for my Spatial M2 Turbo's
« on: 4 Jun 2016, 05:41 pm »

I've been contemplating doing a "stand" for the M2's for some time. Finally got around to this simple solution.

jaywills

Re: Uplifting experience for my Spatial M2 Turbo's
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2016, 06:03 pm »
Differences noticed?  Thanks (I have a pair, too).  Cordially,

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2016, 06:19 pm »
Is the intent to raise the height of the soundstage or?

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2016, 11:03 pm »
Is the intent to raise the height of the soundstage or?

Yes, I think the tweeter is now at a more optimum position in height in relation to my ear. Opens up the sound a bit and eliminates most of that "looking down at the speaker" feel. A positive tweak with no downside thus far.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2016, 12:13 am »
Yes, I think the tweeter is now at a more optimum position in height in relation to my ear. Opens up the sound a bit and eliminates most of that "looking down at the speaker" feel. A positive tweak with no downside thus far.

Yeah, I'd rather not sit in balcony either. I prefer to have the HF driver at ear level or a little higher for that reason. Have you tried tilting the speaker back to see if that raises the stage?

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2016, 04:57 pm »
That was my early approach, but you can only lift the front of the speaker so high before things become a bit unstable.(and kind of ugly as well)  And for what it's worth, you're still looking down at it when all is said and done. Actually never found image height to be that great an issue with the stock set-up, especially if you're listening from 10' or more from the speaker. However, I'm only at about 8' and feel the "lift" opens the sound up more than anything else. Yes, the slight increase in image height doesn't hurt either. Probably wouldn't have given it much thought until I saw how Clayton had designed the new M4 ( and M3 )much taller with the drivers placed higher on the baffle. Although the base doesn't get the M2 to M4 height, I feel the M2's tilt back angle compensates for what I'm missing in height.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2016, 05:38 pm »
I don't know why Clayton has the tweeter that low. Just does not make sense to me. Maybe it's a cost issue in building or shipping.

Rocket Ronny

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2016, 06:43 pm »
I don't know why Clayton has the tweeter that low. Just does not make sense to me. Maybe it's a cost issue in building or shipping.

Rocket Ronny

I think in the original design he felt the tilt back angle would compensate. That said, I much prefer the sound when giving them a lift.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2016, 10:39 pm »
Thanks for sharing this. I was thinking the M3's might be a good match for my 8 watt SET, but I can see that like you, I would have to elevate to compensate. Either that, or it's baloney in the balcony.

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:33 pm »
Windchaser

If you will look at the thread below and see the significant difference in the amount of baffle space below the lower driver in the M3 and M2 plus the total  height of the two speakers, the new baffle and driver placement does what Mick has done with the stands. I have none of the balcony affect with my M3's. They are slightly over 48".

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2016, 01:27 am »
Thanks for sharing this. I was thinking the M3's might be a good match for my 8 watt SET, but I can see that like you, I would have to elevate to compensate. Either that, or it's baloney in the balcony.

Well the M3's are significantly taller than the earlier equivalent M1. The stands came into play to more mimic the height of the newer designs. Both the newer M3 and M4 might be just fine without fiddling with a stand. Your call though.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2016, 01:35 am »
Well the M3's are significantly taller than the earlier equivalent M1. The stands came into play to more mimic the height of the newer designs. Both the newer M3 and M4 might be just fine without fiddling with a stand. Your call though.

I am only 3 days into a pair of M3 Turbo S speakers, but I am detecting zero issues with image height.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2016, 01:51 am »
No issue with my M3 either. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2016, 03:28 am »

With respect to the percieved height of the soundstage, there are at least two things that need to be considered. The height of your ears relative to the height of the HF driver, and the distance between your ears and the speakers.

Seated in my chair, the opening of my ear canal is 38" from the ground, which is about 5.5" higher than the height of the HF driver in the M3. Due to the size and shape of my room, the max distance I can put between the speakers and the front wall is about 42". From my experience with OB's, I know this is an acceptable minimum. 60 to72 inches would be preferable, but you have to work with what you've got. That leaves 8' between me and speakers, which again is an acceptable minimum.

Based on the above conditions and Mick's report, I think it's safe to say I may need to add some lift under the M3, assuming I go that route.

mick wolfe

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2016, 04:35 am »
As  jtwrace and zybar ( and maybe a couple others) have noted, you'll probably find the M3's image height perfectly acceptable without any modification. Also, 48"- 60" from the front wall should be plenty of breathing room. At least that's been my experience with the M2. In any case, only an in home audition will answer these questions.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2016, 06:23 am »
...only an in home audition will answer these questions.

I'm promised a home demo, only thing is it won't be in my home. Still, it should give me some idea. It's good to know there is a work-around, if need be necessary.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2016, 12:47 pm »
I'm promised a home demo, only thing is it won't be in my home. Still, it should give me some idea. It's good to know there is a work-around, if need be necessary.
.Everyone is promised a home demo...just order them from Spatial and you have 60 days to try 'em.   :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2016, 12:59 pm »
.Everyone is promised a home demo...just order them from Spatial and you have 60 days to try 'em.   :thumb:

And once you have them in the home, I think very, very, few will be going back!

George