My first OB speaks

fdandrews

My first OB speaks
« on: 2 May 2016, 07:46 pm »
These were my test speakers to see if I liked the open baffle sound. Drivers are Alpha 15 woofs, Pioneer "BOFU" 8" full range, and Dayton Audio tweets with a single cap crossover. Although they were only supposed to be a temporary test set, they stayed in the system for 2 years until I built the next pair of OBs.

fdandrews

Re: My first OB speaks
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2016, 07:47 pm »
Aaaargh! If someone could tell me how to turn the photos 90 degrees, I would appreciate it.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2016, 08:06 pm »
If you click on your image in "My Gallery" you can get rotate left, rotate right and delete buttons.  Hope that helps.

fdandrews

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2016, 08:27 pm »
Thanks.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2016, 11:05 am »
Nice.

Did you cut off the BoFu whizzers?

Which Dayton tweeters are you using and the cap value?

Thanks

fdandrews

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2016, 12:25 am »
Yup. Cut off the whizzers after trying various combinations of stock BOFUs by themselves, BOFUs with Dayton 5/8" tweets (don't remember which ones), BOFUs with planar tweets, etc. This was just a test of the concept to see if it would work in my room. I have a few BOFUs in the basement, so I tried a whizzerectomy on this pair. Liked it enough to build new speakers which I describe in a separate post. It is more about the journey than the destination.

mordikai

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2016, 05:15 am »
Is that a brown belt around the alpha magnet? How's it work for damping?

fdandrews

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2016, 03:40 pm »
It is Mortite window caulking. Several layers around the magnet and between the magnet and frame for damping.

nicoch

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2016, 10:44 am »
nice work !

fdandrews

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2016, 05:15 pm »
Thanks. These were supposed to be a temporary test speaker to see if I liked the open baffle sound in my room. They ended up staying there for 2 years (with various mods) because they worked so well.

nicoch

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2016, 05:22 pm »
time to try a better fullrange ;)

fdandrews

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2016, 06:02 pm »
Yup. I am now using the Fostex 166en running full range with a helper woofer on the bottom. Thinking of adding a tweeter on top crossed over above 10k. Working on the crossover for it today. Not going to use a crossover on the Fostex.