JC1 vs 7b3 (or 14b3)

amghoon

JC1 vs 7b3 (or 14b3)
« on: 19 Feb 2018, 06:52 pm »
Hi all,

I'm currently auditioning a Bryston 4b3 and Parasound A21 and find them to be on pretty equal footing. Unfortunately I only have some LS50s to demo with at the moment, so maybe this could have something to do with not really being able to hear a big difference.

I am however planning on buying one step up, either a set of JC1s, 7B3s or a 14B3 (none of them were available for autitioning, so that's why I'm listening to the lower models.)

Would love to see what anyone that has or have heard both has to say about this.

Thanks for any input!

Pre is a Schiit Freya in tube mode, DAC is a Schiit multibit and source is Tidal MQA via a Bluesound Node2.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: JC1 vs 7b3 (or 14b3)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2018, 07:18 pm »
I own a Parasound A21 and a Pass X250.  I don't believe the A21 will give you any idea how the JC1 sounds.  The A21 is a nice amp but dated and has been around a long time.  10 years ago it was a great buy but I believe it has been surpassed at its price point.  It has bit of grain and lacks some  air, transparency and refinement.  The JC1 is a different animal and still a world class amp that performs above its price point.

My older Pass amp is a much better amp by a wide margin.

By the way, the JC1 will let you know the limits of your preamp and dac very quickly.