Icepower 1200AS2 (Purepower) amp listening impressions.

envydd and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. Read 27545 times.

Wig

Re: Icepower 1200AS2 (Purepower) amp listening impressions.
« Reply #120 on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:11 am »
He’s only using 1 channel per side. Not bi-amping. If he bi-amped he would likely achieve even greater results. Because the channel running his mid/highs will be relieved from all low frequency duties. It’s the low frequencies that are the hardest on amplifiers. 

Looks like his speakers have the capability:

I also have these speakers! Recommend trying the diagonal configuration by changing your black speaker lead from the woofer terminals to the midbass/tweeter terminal; will notice more clarity and palpable images...

Wig :)

TJHUB

« Reply #121 on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:13 am »
Leave the black on the woofer.  The red should move up to the mid/tweeter.  This works well for me.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #122 on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:27 am »
I also have these speakers! Recommend trying the diagonal configuration by changing your black speaker lead from the woofer terminals to the midbass/tweeter terminal; will notice more clarity and palpable images...

Those aren’t Dev’s actual speakers. I just took the image from a review.

debjit.g

« Reply #123 on: 24 Jan 2018, 05:01 am »

I have both on the midbass/tweeter terminal (against what the manufacturer recommends to the woofer terminal). Guess I should try the technique and report back. Thanks for the tip  :)

ohenry

« Reply #124 on: 26 Jan 2018, 07:07 am »
After living with the mighty 1200AS2 for a week, I'm really enjoying what this little guy can do.  Low level listening is satisfying as the music qualities are preserved.  I really need to get a sound meter because it's such a clean sounding presentation, it's easy to get a little carried away with volume.

Of course, time will tell if this is my long term amp, but so far I'm smitten.

Photon46

« Reply #125 on: 26 Jan 2018, 12:46 pm »
After living with the mighty 1200AS2 for a week, I'm really enjoying what this little guy can do.  Low level listening is satisfying as the music qualities are preserved.  I really need to get a sound meter because it's such a clean sounding presentation, it's easy to get a little carried away with volume.

Of course, time will tell if this is my long term amp, but so far I'm smitten.

I was curious about this as well and checked my listening levels. Luckily I found that what I perceived as "no louder than this" listening was C weighted slow or fast response at 82-84 db. average. Occasional peaks when an orchestra's tymapanis crashed of 90 db or so. The enhanced dynamic capabilities when having this much power available using average sensitivity speakers leads to the impression you're listening louder than you are. The very low noise floor enhances low level listening for sure.

mocenigo

« Reply #126 on: 26 Jan 2018, 08:30 pm »
Could you please share updated listening impressions?

I was curious about this as well and checked my listening levels. Luckily I found that what I perceived as "no louder than this" listening was C weighted slow or fast response at 82-84 db. average. Occasional peaks when an orchestra's tymapanis crashed of 90 db or so. The enhanced dynamic capabilities when having this much power available using average sensitivity speakers leads to the impression you're listening louder than you are. The very low noise floor enhances low level listening for sure.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #127 on: 26 Jan 2018, 08:46 pm »

I've also found the weight to the music at very low listening levels is outstanding. Nothing gets thin. Same full sound as when you crank it up.

Photon46

« Reply #128 on: 26 Jan 2018, 09:19 pm »
Could you please share updated listening impressions?

Mocenigo, I'm at about 50 hrs. now and I'm going to wait until I've run the full 200 before I do a detailed review. However, I can say that the amp continues to sound more and more refined. I know a lot of us thought Mike was indulging in hyperbole when his initial posts touting the virtues of this amp were published on this forum. With every passing day his words ring truer and truer, this amp really does have virtues I've not heard from a class D amp, much less at this price point. I can say I'd agree that there is zero need for any input buffering with this amp. If you have a quality signal coming in, no need to muddy or muck it up with additional signal processing on top of the native capabilities of the AS1200 module. This amp really is an ultra clean window into the recording process. It doesn't romanticize the sound of recordings or have harmonically additive properties but it isn't clinical either.

brother love

« Reply #129 on: 26 Jan 2018, 09:35 pm »
Very well stated Photon46. 8)   I've got 65 hrs. logged-in to date; and I agree strongly with all of your findings at this stage.

magnuska

« Reply #130 on: 26 Jan 2018, 10:21 pm »
Hi !

I am also waiting for the SE amp with great anticipation. Great to hear so many positive testamonials so far.
I was a little afraid that low listening levels should be bad with such high power but it seems not.
Have you folks tried different powercords with it ?

One question for Mike, Have you had time to assemble the mil-spec/Furutech plug cable yet?

Could be interesting to hear about that before shipping starts of the amps.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #131 on: 26 Jan 2018, 10:25 pm »
Sorry I haven’t had time to build and listen to that new cable yet. #1 concern now is these cases. If I have to hire more people to do more things this is going to raise my overhead. Increased overhead will mean increased product cost. So I’m trying to do as much as I can myself. And there’s only so many hours in a day.

magnuska

« Reply #132 on: 26 Jan 2018, 10:29 pm »
Sorry I haven’t had time to build and listen to that new cable yet. #1 concern now is these cases. If I have to hire more people to do more things this is going to raise my overhead. Increased overhead will mean increased product cost. So I’m trying to do as much as I can myself. And there’s only so many hours in a day.

I understand and take your time. We need Mike in his health. :D

Photon46

« Reply #133 on: 26 Jan 2018, 11:22 pm »
Have you folks tried different powercords with it ?

I've only tried two cords so far, a Harmonic Technology AC11 and a Wireworld Eclipse. I hesitate to say whether the differences I hear are the cords or continuing burn in. Seems the Wireworld has a little more energy in the uppermost treble and the AC11 is mellower and more laid back. Once burn in done these things will become clearer. I do prefer to listening to the amp through my Audience power conditioner.

glynnw

« Reply #134 on: 27 Jan 2018, 12:35 am »
One more vote for you taking your time!  With all you are doing a person would have to be nuts to complain.

HT cOz

• Industry Participant
« Reply #135 on: 27 Jan 2018, 06:01 am »
Hey Mike take your time if this becomes work it reduces the fun factor by a large margin.  People just need to be patient!!!

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #136 on: 27 Jan 2018, 06:10 am »
I’d just like to make this crystal clear right now. I keep getting emails from professional reviewers who want to review my Purepower amp. We have a strict policy at Mivera Audio of no professional audiophile press reviews. So if anyone is expecting to see professional reviews of Mivera Audio gear in the future. Not gonna happen. I’ll let my clients do reviews instead. And put the savings into the products instead. This is a win win for everyone as they get unbiased reviews, and keeps costs down so I can sell for less.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #137 on: 27 Jan 2018, 06:12 am »
Thanks guys. I’m the type of guy who can only sleep 3-4 hours a night max if I have work to do. I know I need to relax and spend more time with my family. But for lots 1-5, I just need to get these amps out. Not everyone who ordered is as patient as some others who don’t post on the forum. So for me getting the amps delivered will be more weight off my chest than relaxing. 

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #138 on: 27 Jan 2018, 06:35 am »
My son was so sad to see me leave to Vancouver that it was very hard. After Lot 5 I need to wind things down to a more relaxed pace.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #139 on: 27 Jan 2018, 07:30 am »
There’s been quite a few vocal on the forum, Lot 1-3 takachi case guys who haven’t posted any impressions. They had a lot to say before receiving their amps. Can you guys share impressions? I see these guys logging in and reading this thread. Yet no feedback. Are you happy with your purchase? Unhappy with your purchase? Please let us all know. It’s your honest, unbiased feedback that is the only way we can improve upon our product offering.