Taking the Plunge...Getting a Astell & Kern Kann unit

Freo-1

Finally managed to keep my systems stable for awhile now regarding speakers/amps/etc.   Decided to address two issues with one item, that being an Astell & Kern Kann portable DAP.  The Kann seems to hit the sweet spot for portable audio usage, proving excellent sound for headphone use.  I like the fact that it has better than average battery amp hours, ab le to drive a wider variety of headphones than most DAP's, handles, native DSD, and has a lot of storage available.

I also plan to use it as music server for home audio use.  Both my stereos have USB input, and one of the stereos handle native DSD formats.  Been wanting to get a music server for awhile, and having a portable unit with high storage capacity seems like a good option. 

Anyone have experience with the Kann?  Would be interested to get feedback on the unit. 

Freo-1

Re: Taking the Plunge...Getting a Astell & Kern Kann unit
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2018, 09:49 pm »
Wanted to post an update on this.  After receiving the usb cables, tried out KANN as a streamer to the Mcintosh D150/MC152 combo. 

To my pleasant surprise, it works great as a music streamer.   The audio quality is every bit as good as using the coaxial out from the CD unit.  The DSD files were decoded from the KANN by the D150 with ease, and sounded great. 

The fact that the KANN can double as a music streaming source as well as a superior DAP is very nice indeed.

BigChubby

Re: Taking the Plunge...Getting a Astell & Kern Kann unit
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2018, 11:03 am »
Yeah, the Kann struck me as hitting a sweet spot.  I've had mine about 3 months.  The two little center buttons at the bottom are awkward to use - trying to hit the Pause is a pain.  The SE and balanced headphone and line out are nice.  I've used both with some headphones and separate headphone amps like the Mjolnir (original, NOT the 2).  I've not used it as a USB DAC as I'm pretty well covered with other equipment.

As far as directly driving headphones, it does do a pretty good job.  It, as with most DAPs, really doesn't produce the output voltage swing to do most Hi Z phones justice.  It's a little light when driving my HE-560s - I still prefer a headphone amp for them.  it does a great job with my Shure SRH-1840s and Sony MDR-Z7s.

For the most part, I do like both the sound quality and tonal quality of the Kann.  I have a few other DAPs and by far the Kann is the best of the group.  I may tinker with the streaming at some point in the future just to see how it does, but it's not a priority for me.

I'm glad you found a DAP that hits the bases for you - there are so many out there.  I think you picked a good one.

Cheers