Benchmark DAC3 series thread. Official? .... Nah, but goooood!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Benchmark DAC3 series thread. Official? .... Nah, but goooood!
« Reply #60 on: 24 Jan 2018, 10:48 am »
Thanks for the link Maty.  Didn't realize the AES/EBU input version allowed for separate volume control of RCA/XLR output from headphone outputs.

maty

You are welcome.

EAN Bench Test! Doing The Numbers On The Benchmark DAC3-DX DAC

https://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2018/01/ean-bench-test-doing-numbers-on.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Slightly off topic, but as per the latest Benchmark newsletter SEAS is now using the AHB2 amp for testing their drivers.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
For anyone interested in the Brooklyn DAC+, they just implemented theater bypass mode in v1.11 firmware at my urging. 

On another note, a demo AURALiC VEGA G2 should be here Monday!

.........Peter

pstrisik

« Reply #64 on: 14 Feb 2018, 05:14 pm »
In the "sometimes you get what you pay for" department, the AURALiC VEGA G2 outshines the Benchmark DAC3 in a not so subtle way.  I don't think this reflects badly on the DAC3.  I've not heard about a DAC under $2000 that can beat it.  The VEGA G2 is almost three times the price.  Nice that it accommodates my streaming needs, has Theater Bypass option for the analog inputs, and has the inputs I need.  So the price blow is softened by no longer needing the ARIES G2, a separate streaming bridge.

I'll be listing the three month old DAC3-L for sale on the Circle and Audiogon this weekend.  PM me if anyone wants a jump on that.

........Peter

JDoyle

« Reply #65 on: 15 Feb 2018, 05:20 pm »
In the "sometimes you get what you pay for" department, the AURALiC VEGA G2 outshines the Benchmark DAC3 in a not so subtle way.  I don't think this reflects badly on the DAC3.  I've not heard about a DAC under $2000 that can beat it.  The VEGA G2 is almost three times the price.  Nice that it accommodates my streaming needs, has Theater Bypass option for the analog inputs, and has the inputs I need.  So the price blow is softened by no longer needing the ARIES G2, a separate streaming bridge.

I'll be listing the three month old DAC3-L for sale on the Circle and Audiogon this weekend.  PM me if anyone wants a jump on that.

........Peter

I actually just purchased the DAC3 along with the AHB2 amp and I'm absolutely thrilled with them (I probably wouldn't have purchased yours, but I would have been tempted!   :green: ).

I want to thank you Peter for starting this thread   :thumb: as I probably would have gone with the Brooklyn had you not started it.  I will post my review of it here soon (I need a little more time, since it's not been running long).

I'd also enjoy reading more about your G2 (but please start a NEW thread).

Thanks again!

~jd

pstrisik

« Reply #66 on: 15 Feb 2018, 05:34 pm »
Their amps are tempting as well.  I'm sure that combo is impressive.  It does seem that the DAC3 is considered a bit above the Brooklyn, though I bet the latter is no slouch.  I'm so impressed with AURALiC's products, that I could be tempted if he updates his Merak monoblocs.  Very happy with my First Watt J2 though.

I may start an AURALiC thread after a bit.  A lot of dust settling around here!

.......Peter

maty

« Reply #67 on: 15 Feb 2018, 06:27 pm »
Talking about Berkeley, yesterday:

Measurement and Review of Berkeley Alpha DAC  ten years DAC, without USB

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-berkeley-alpha-dac.2355/

JDoyle

« Reply #68 on: 10 Mar 2018, 02:47 am »
So here is my promised review of the DAC 3 HGC and the accompanying THX patented AHB2...  :thumb:

I was going to “attempt” to write a review that eloquently explained how nice this set up is, but google it, it’s been done a plenty by many a reviewer more prolific than me.

I’m going to get into the peripherals on why you should consider Benchmark

This was the thread that prompted me to look into this DAC... until I stumbled upon it, I was probably going to go with the mucho popular Brooklyn. I started to look into the Dac, The more I read about Benchmark, the more I was won over... why?

First;  this stuff is “Professional Grade”,  I feel it will outlive me.  Built like the proverbial Brick outhouse.

Second;  while it may not be Glitzy, it just works... actually fairly easy to set up (and I’m not a techie).

Third; when I did have a question, I emailed them to ask a question (more than once too), and was “hoping” they’d reply in a day or two, I saw an email in my box within 20 minutes!  Holy Cow, now that’s customer Service!

Lastly; they also offer cables that I could tell were quality, but not stupidly priced.

This is a company much like Salk, (Who built my speakers too), wonderful people who also make a quality product that shows pride of workmanship. 

I’m very pleased with my set up to say the least  :D

JD

maty

« Reply #69 on: 17 Mar 2018, 05:44 pm »
[Review] Benchmark DAC3 HGC Hi-Res Audio DAC, Headphone Amp, And Preamplifier

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0318/Benchmark_DAC3_HGC_Review.htm

Fantastic

The Benchmark Media DAC3 HGC is a fantastic digital-to-analog converter that comes with a fantastic headphone amplifier with two outputs, and can also double as a fantastic preamplifier. Its asking price is more than reasonable for such a versatile component, with a sound quality that can be compared to units costing much more. Whether or not one likes the sound of the DAC3 depends on the audiophile who auditions it, since those who are hard of hearing might not like it.

Sure, you can find a better DAC if you want to spend much more money, you can find a better headphone amplifier if you want to spend much more money, and you can find a preamplifier with more features and better sound quality if you want to spend much more money. But here it is folks, a digital-to-analog converter, headphone amplifier, and preamplifier all-in-one unit that can be called a bargain, even at a cost of about $2200.