Loving the new BDP-3!

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Loving the new BDP-3!
« on: 18 Jun 2017, 07:40 pm »
Got mine in the mail about a week ago and had time today (Father's day daddy time! :) ) to set it up.  All networked and RoonReady functioning.  I have Tidal via Roon and that's working well.  Will post pix when I can!

Grant Hill

Re: Loving the new BDP-3!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2017, 08:51 am »
Hi matthewpartrick,

glad you're having fun with BDP3!  :thumb: Can I ask you which streamer/PC were you using before move to BDP3?

we will appreciate your pics

have a nice day!

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2017, 12:25 pm »
I will try and get pix this weekend.  I was using the microrendu beforehand.

Grant Hill

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm »
Thanks! Have a nice weekend

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2017, 01:20 pm »
I'm envious.  :roll:

Enjoy it til the next one comes along... :lol:

bjski

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2017, 07:44 pm »
Got mine in the mail about a week ago and had time today (Father's day daddy time! :) ) to set it up.  All networked and RoonReady functioning.  I have Tidal via Roon and that's working well.  Will post pix when I can!

Congratulations!
Still waiting for mine.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2017, 12:03 pm »
Wonder if the bryston guys would be willing to Sticky a BDP-3 thread.  So far I am blown away.  Seamless functionality with unsurpassed sound and awesome design aesthetics.  Bryston has a new lifelong customer.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2017, 12:06 pm »
Wonder if the bryston guys would be willing to Sticky a BDP-3 thread.  So far I am blown away.  Seamless functionality with unsurpassed sound and awesome design aesthetics.  Bryston has a new lifelong customer.

Sure be glad to - you're liking it aye!

james

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2018, 03:41 pm »

You will get a better sound from the BDP3 using your own imported digital files from CDs. Tidal does not provide the best sonic experience in my opinion.  :nono:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2018, 03:53 pm »
You will get a better sound from the BDP3 using your own imported digital files from CDs. Tidal does not provide the best sonic experience in my opinion.  :nono:
Tidal and imported Cd's is the same as long as you're using the $20 per month Tidal lossless version. 

gbaby

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2018, 03:58 pm »
Tidal and imported Cd's is the same as long as you're using the $20 per month Tidal lossless version.

I find an imported aiff file to sound better than than Tidal lossless version.

Ola_S

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2018, 04:17 pm »
The problem with streaming services like Tidal and Spotify is that they normally only provide remastered version of many records. These remastered versions are unfortunately very often completely destroyed  :cry:

There are three gentlemen from Sweden that want to stop this madness, I urge the readers here to back them

https://youtu.be/9PuI7lEQLD8

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2090574984/ino-lab-audio-educational-podcasts

and

http://www.ino-lab.com

zoom25

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2018, 05:55 pm »
3 reasons why Tidal can sound different from local storage:

1) Local files are different from the ones Tidal have (different masters used).

2) Software difference (MPD vs Tidal through RAAT vs. Tidal native (not sure about the last)). With RAAT, there's constant network traffic on my BDP-1. I don't know if its better on the BDP-3 though with the larger memory. It'd be nice to preload the entire track in advance. Right now, if I unplug the ethernet cable on the BDP-1, the music stops very quickly. The buffer needs to be much bigger.

3) Hardware and noise differences due to accessories used (ethernet vs USB (flash, SSD, spinning)) and their power supplies.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2018, 08:58 pm »
There have been some reports of audible watermarks in streaming services, which presumably would not exist on CDs.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2018, 12:07 am »

Right now, if I unplug the ethernet cable on the BDP-1, the music stops very quickly. The buffer needs to be much bigger.

I don't believe this is an accurate way of testing if a file is entirely stored in memory or not.  MPD for instance will stop playing and remove tracks from a playlist ifot removed from the database.  I'm also not sure if I would want to wait for an entire track to download off the wen before it started playing.  I have a reasonably fast internet connection and it still takes about 20 seconds for a bdp to download the entire track from TIDAL.

zoom25

« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2018, 01:52 am »
I don't believe this is an accurate way of testing if a file is entirely stored in memory or not.  MPD for instance will stop playing and remove tracks from a playlist ifot removed from the database.  I'm also not sure if I would want to wait for an entire track to download off the wen before it started playing.  I have a reasonably fast internet connection and it still takes about 20 seconds for a bdp to download the entire track from TIDAL.

I personally don't use TIDAL at the moment, but good point about getting instant play. It's certainly very fast with Roon and local files all connected by ethernet. I remember this issue being addressed by the Roon guys and the benefits/tradeoffs with regards to how other fully memory playback softwares like Audirvana or Amarra handle it.

Chris, can you outline how the data is handled in MPD vs. RAAT before being sent out to DAC? Let's assume both are connected by ethernet (NAS for MPD vs. Roon Core device). I always assumed that with RAAT, PCM is sent to BDP-1 and it goes through little to no conversion, but I'm told I'm apparently wrong? I assumed there would be more happening with MPD than RAAT? The CPU usage % is always lower in RoonReady against MPD (with database and other stuff turned off) - I'm not sure how indicative this is of what's actually happening.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2018, 08:33 am »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 7 May 2018, 03:49 pm »
http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2018_05_Review_BDP-3.pdf

When using its built-in Media Player and playing local files, the BDP-3 further steps up the game and truly shines. In this mode, it actually performs on par with some of the very best digital sources that I have heard.

gbaby

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2018, 09:23 pm »
http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2018_05_Review_BDP-3.pdf

When using its built-in Media Player and playing local files, the BDP-3 further steps up the game and truly shines. In this mode, it actually performs on par with some of the very best digital sources that I have heard.

I guess this translates to the fact that you can spend 20 or 30k for a digital player, but you won't find a better sounding one than the BDP3. :D

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2018, 12:12 pm »
Not to pressure the guys at Bryston, but now that Roon 1.5 is MQA-ready, is this a possibility for the BDP3 in the future?