BP-26 MC/MM phono retrofit

adan888

BP-26 MC/MM phono retrofit
« on: 21 Sep 2016, 11:30 am »
Gents,

Can't find any thread about BP-26 retrofit with the MC or MM internal phono stage by the end user.
Is it possible? What are the pros and the cons? Price?  :scratch:
I just want to minimise the external interconnects between the components (I don't have a TT yet).
Any experience?
Thank you. :thumb:

Regards,
Dan

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: BP-26 MC/MM phono retrofit
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2016, 11:37 am »
I'm a purist, and prefer a separate phono stage connected to my linestage pre. I just think having a phono (or DAC) inside a line pre/integrated will contribute internal noise or worse. To some degree, albeit perhaps very small.

If you can, try borrowing a friend's phonostage and connect it to the BP26 to see how it sounds..... once you get a TT.

cheers

martydmnt

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2016, 03:08 pm »
Can't find any thread about BP-26 retrofit with the MC or MM internal phono stage by the end user.
Is it possible? What are the pros and the cons? Price?  :scratch:

I did it for my B135. I ordered the MM card directly from Bryston for $600. It took me about 20 minutes, of which the first 10 was figuring out which was the supporting bracket needed to be installed. Once I figured that out, it was no more complicated than plugging a card into a PC. It saved me the cost of shipping the unit to and from Bryston service, or the estimated 1.5 hr labor I received from a local Bryston dealer. 

I haven't compared it directly to the tube phono stage I have, but I am happy with it thus far. YMMV, of course, as my vinyl front end is only a Rega P25 with a Rega Exact 2 cartridge.

adan888

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2016, 09:47 am »
I did it for my B135. I ordered the MM card directly from Bryston for $600. It took me about 20 minutes, of which the first 10 was figuring out which was the supporting bracket needed to be installed. Once I figured that out, it was no more complicated than plugging a card into a PC. It saved me the cost of shipping the unit to and from Bryston service, or the estimated 1.5 hr labor I received from a local Bryston dealer. 

I haven't compared it directly to the tube phono stage I have, but I am happy with it thus far. YMMV, of course, as my vinyl front end is only a Rega P25 with a Rega Exact 2 cartridge.

I found this from Audio Advisor website:

Note: This phono stage can be specified as an internal option for the BP-26 preamplifier at the time of order. It cannot be retrofitted in the field by the user.

:scratch: :scratch:

Need a clarification from James  :icon_lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2016, 06:46 pm »
I found this from Audio Advisor website:

Note: This phono stage can be specified as an internal option for the BP-26 preamplifier at the time of order. It cannot be retrofitted in the field by the user.

:scratch: :scratch:

Need a clarification from James  :icon_lol:

I think the key phrase there is "by the user".

Betcha it could be done by factory.
(Heck, if they can send a probe to Jupiter....)