How does the BDP-x pick up the metadata?

Pundamilia

How does the BDP-x pick up the metadata?
« on: 26 Aug 2016, 11:03 pm »
I have been ripping CDs since I first got my BDP-1 (mostly with dBPoweramp, but also with other software) and I just noticed that the metadata information is not consistent. In some cases the Artist field is not showing up in the scrolling MM window at all. In fact, sometimes the playlist column on the left shows "Title by Artist" while the scrolling banner has First Line: "Title"; Second Line:"Artist - Album". In others, the playlist column shows: "Artist/Title", while the scrolling banner shows First Line:"Artist/Title"; Second Line: "Album Title". I realize that the differences are due to using different programs with different output configurations when I am  ripping.

I would like to know what is the ideal output format in which to configure the ripping program, so the metadata is picked up consistently and in the right field for the BDP. Currently the files are stored on disk as Genre/Artist/Album/Individual Files. When I look at the HD with a Mac, all the individual files appear to be in the same format: "Track No. Artist - Title". Yet the metadata shows up differently in MM. So how does MM fill in the various metadata fields? Is it picking them up from the NTFS fields for music files or by location or delimiter in the file name?

Thanks In Advance for any suggestions to clear up my (and the BDP's) confusion.  :o 

P.S. I tried to search this issue in the forums, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Hopefully the answer will benefit others as well.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: How does the BDP-x pick up the metadata?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2016, 07:29 am »
I do all my tagging in Tag&Rename http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm .
By far the best tagging software, and no matter what format the soundfile is in, T&R knows how to deal with it.

Pundamilia

Re: How does the BDP-x pick up the metadata?
« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2016, 10:19 pm »
I do all my tagging in Tag&Rename http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm .
By far the best tagging software, and no matter what format the soundfile is in, T&R knows how to deal with it.

Thanks, Anonamemouse. That looks like a decent Windows tool.

After, I rip the music on a PC (usually because the reader is faster), I do most of my editing/cleanup on a Mac, so I would prefer something that runs under OS X to massage the data. Also, I would still like to understand what MM is looking for. Is it strictly reading the tags? Is the extraneous info (e.g. the "by" in "Title by Artist" inserted by the ripping program according to how the output is configured?