• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Dolby ATMOS
« on: 25 Jun 2014, 04:54 pm »

Phil A

Re: Dolby ATMOS
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2014, 05:02 pm »
:)   :green: :green: :green:  Actually it is not quite that bad for the home as Onkyo's new offerings include 2 receivers, one 9.2 and one 11.2.  I'd assume the 11.2 is what their current 9.2 receivers have plus two overhead channels - http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR3030&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

With more and more streaming vs. hard media it's probably more like the opportunity for the studios to re-sell Blu-Rays people already have.

electricbear

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2014, 05:48 pm »
I would rather more focus was put on maximizing the quality of the existing formats instead of making new ones.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2014, 05:52 pm »
According to an article on cdrinfo.com (http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=40906) Atmos is coming to home theater this fall. It won't matter to me, because I'm pretty sure my wife won't stand for more than the 5 speakers I have (6 if you count the sub).

What I'm wondering is will Atmos soundtracks be down-converted to 5.1, or will it be a separate track?

Will Atmos decoding require a new DSP/chip, or is it something that can be added via firmware?

FWIW, I agree with electricbear. I'd rather see current formats maxed out. Or, they could work on full color and eliminate dithering on video.

Rod_S

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2014, 05:53 pm »
I count 19 surround speakers there not including the B&W 800 Diamond main speakers, that's just silly and that setup doesn't even have heights that I can see.

Rod_S

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2014, 05:56 pm »
According to an article on cdrinfo.com (http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=40906) Atmos is coming to home theater this fall. It won't matter to me, because I'm pretty sure my wife won't stand for more than the 5 speakers I have (6 if you count the sub).

What I'm wondering is will Atmos soundtracks be down-converted to 5.1, or will it be a separate track?

Will Atmos decoding require a new DSP/chip, or is it something that can be added via firmware?

FWIW, I agree with electricbear. I'd rather see current formats maxed out. Or, they could work on full color and eliminate dithering on video.

Some current products are getting firmware updates but there will be new models this fall as well from Denon, Pioneer, Marantz and Onkyo/Integra. You can see the specs for the Pineer receivers on their website now plus their purpose built Atmos speakers.

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2014, 06:15 pm »
I feel so inadequate.  :bawl: :rotflmao:

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2014, 06:21 pm »
Here's a comparison - http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/movie/dolby-atmos-details.html

I don't expect major differences except for the overhead channels.  So I'd think when one has rain, or something flying overhead it will sound a bit more realistic.  I don't expect to be first on the block but at some point I do have access to an attic about the living room and if I want to try it I can.

Unfortunately it is the nature of surround sound processing to change.  Disc sales are declining in favor or streaming.  It's just the reality of what happens in the market and why I went to 2-channel with HT Bypass.  If I decided to get something down the road, it is easy to rotate a receiver to a secondary system and use the amps in the receiver for the extra channels.  I don't expect that long term it will change the trend of streaming over physical discs.  It may be a temporary shot in the arm to slow the decline for a bit.

skunark

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:16 am »
1) How do you match 19 tweeters?
2) When do headphones outperform 19 speakers?

I'm glad I gave away all of my surround sound gear.   2 channel FTW!

Jim

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2014, 08:28 am »
From my understanding of Atmos, it shouldn't (necessarily) be equated with a large number of speakers, at least for (future) domestic use. The point of the technology is that the location of sounds in space is represented directly, rather than indirectly through a mix done for a specific speaker configuration. The actual signal sent to the speaker channels is done in real time by the decoder, rather than being a predetermined "mix." The resulting signal will therefore be optimal for that particular speaker configuration (whatever it is).

Thunder

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2014, 04:28 pm »
James, what are plans with SP3 to support Atmos?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2014, 04:36 pm »
James, what are plans with SP3 to support Atmos?

Hi Thunder

No approach at this point on the SP3 as Atmos requires a completely different chip set and many more output channels.

So it would have to be an SP4 as opposed to an SP3 modified in some way.  It will be interesting to see where this Atmos goes?

james

mv038856

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2014, 07:23 pm »
Hi Thunder

No approach at this point on the SP3 as Atmos requires a completely different chip set and many more output channels.

So it would have to be an SP4 as opposed to an SP3 modified in some way.  It will be interesting to see where this Atmos goes?

james

I was wondering whether there in fact could be an upgrade for the SP-3...  8)

It could look like this:
- new processor board for the SP-3MKII that
        a) does decode Dolby ATMOS and Auro 3D
        b) serves the 9.1 (i.e. 10) channels that the SP-3 currently can serve on the analog side via its D/A converters
        c) offers an additional I2S digital output for the additional channels
- new 1U "SP-3PLUS" companion unit for the additional (10?) channels. It contains the D/A converters and the analog volume control for the additional channels. The digital connection from the main unit to the companion unit would be proprietary. The new 1U unit would only have the proprietary digital input, a control input (for volume control through SP-3) and the analog XLR and RCA outputs.

The architecture should be flexible, so that the user can decide how to use the total of e.g. 20 channels. As an example the config could be 9.4.4 or whatever the user wants...  :D

Offering this kind of companion unit would give everybody the option to go for a classic 7.1 or 9.1 with the classic SP-3 or SP3MKII or add the SP-3PLUS companion unit now or later...

I know that James started this thread to frighten us, but it won't work on hardcore hometheater afficionados... :lol:

That being said, I don't know if I would go for more channels myself now. I have learned that the best sound codecs only sound best if played through first class electronics when I changed from a consumer brand level Onkyo Pre/pro to my Bryston SP-3. The gain in sound quality was astonishing! I therefore cannot possibly go back to a consumer Onkyo, Denon or Marantz pre/pro just to get ATMOS as I expect to loose on general sound quality what I just gained by upgrading to the SP-3.  8)

Cheers!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2014, 08:13 pm »
Hi Markus

I will run this by engineering and see.

I like the idea of an object based (ATMOS) decoding system - that does make sense - correct me if I am wrong but isn't the AURO a speaker location mix based system similar to the current Dolby system?

james

BrystonFan

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2014, 11:45 pm »
Funny you mention it...I saw an Atmos demo by Kenwood at Audio One last Saturday. The ceiling speakers really gave that sense of height as you could pick out the various vertical levels the birds were whistling at.
I'm afraid 7.1 is my max for my family room.

Rod_S

« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2014, 02:43 am »
Hi Markus

I will run this by engineering and see.

I like the idea of an object based (ATMOS) decoding system - that does make sense - correct me if I am wrong but isn't the AURO a speaker location mix based system similar to the current Dolby system?

james

My understanding is that Auro is indeed channel based not object based and tops out at 13.1 I think whereas Atmos goes to 32 or 34 channels and it's of course object based.

Rod_S

« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2014, 02:56 am »
I think Markus made a nice suggestion about a tweaked SP3 and an additional unit to handle the channel expansion.

In my opinion the unit to watch out for is the Trinnov Altitude 32 all the while looking at what the Datasat RS20i is doing. That Trinnov is an absolute monster on paper as it uses an actual PC processor to accomplish things and it's not called 32 for kicks, it does in fact offer full 32 channels. Owners of Datasat RS20i's are keeping their eyes on the Trinnov to see how it compares to the highly received and flexible RS20i. Both of these units also offer fully EQ. Those are the two units it would be nice to see a future Bryston product try and compete with. And for goodness sake put a full LCD panel on your SSP's so one can actually see a number of things at once when making setup changes :)

I know James is against EQ, this has been discussed to death now but we have seen James/Bryston bend to the will of the market and customer demand on 2 recent occasions, in/on wall speakers and a DSD DAC. Personally I see that as the opening for EQ on their SSP's. Simply offer it (say Dirac or Trinnov) as a firmware/hardware option so units can be purchased without for those that don't want it. Bryston would see a lot more customers doing this. I foresee Bryston having no choice but to include Atmos in future products if for nothing else than Dolby has replaced their current chipsets with the Atmos chips. ProLogic is no more.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2014, 03:15 am »
Whats really strange about all this is that since ATMOS has come to the attention of the market we have had a huge increase in SP-3 sales -I have no idea why :scratch:

james

Tyreman

« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2014, 03:17 am »
Yes more channels now.
These receivers will never be able to keep up with the power.
They can barely do it now as most only doing rms x 2 channels spec'd out.
we'll see where the acceptance factor goes but I know a few people that are going back to 2 channel stereo  or 4 channel

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 28 Nov 2014, 03:20 am »
Yes that may be part of it - a reaction towards enough is enough?

james