BDP-1 and NAS connectivity

SHV

Re: BDP-1 and NAS connectivity
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jul 2012, 04:23 pm »
"it can stream from a NAS drive it then puts the BDP-1 right at the top of all the streamers available,"
When NAS connectivity is released for BDP-1, will my wife be able to stream her I-tunes library from her Mac or I-Pad?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jul 2012, 05:04 pm »
"it can stream from a NAS drive it then puts the BDP-1 right at the top of all the streamers available,"
When NAS connectivity is released for BDP-1, will my wife be able to stream her I-tunes library from her Mac or I-Pad?

Steve

Hi Steve - no - that is airplay - the music has to be on the NAS because the NAS is connected to the BDP-1 through the 'wired' network.

james

SHV

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jul 2012, 05:08 pm »
Hi Steve - no - that is airplay - the music has to be on the NAS because the NAS is connected to the BDP-1 through the 'wired' network.

james

Oh well...just have to keep the Apple TV connected to the SP3...

Steve

Marius

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jul 2012, 05:12 pm »
Well, I have my iTunes library on my Nas, and stream it to my Bdp1 via my MacBook and iPad....

Marius

mpv

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:37 pm »
James,when will you make available NAS connectivity,please?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2012, 02:28 pm »
James,when will you make available NAS connectivity,please?

We have a few people testing the BETA versions now with good success so I would say a week or 2. 

james

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jul 2012, 03:35 pm »
Well, I have my iTunes library on my Nas, and stream it to my Bdp1 via my MacBook and iPad....

Marius

Marius,
Don't you mean connected as a file server (like I do with my Auraliti PK90USB and my Synology NAS), not streaming?  If you are streaming your NAS, what is the streaming software?  No offense but "streaming" seems to be a misused term around here. 

terrycym

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jul 2012, 03:49 pm »
We've had plenty of streaming over here in the UK, Marius.
Whole villages have been streamed down the river in the recent downpours.
There again, streaming is a very mis used term around here.
 :lol: :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #28 on: 13 Jul 2012, 04:00 pm »
We've had plenty of streaming over here in the UK, Marius.
Whole villages have been streamed down the river in the recent downpours.
There again, streaming is a very mis used term around here.
 :lol: :wink:

I'm not quite sure if that is a dig against me and my post...but...I'm honestly asking cuz I want to know.  Is he using the NAS as a file server (I thought the BDP-1 looks for files) or is he streaming from some UPNP music player to the BDP-1?  I'm trying to figure out the architecture of that last option...

terrycym

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jul 2012, 06:28 pm »
It's ok Ted, nothing personal, just a joke at life here in the UK.
I've probably been spending too much time on Brit forums.

terrycym

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jul 2012, 06:33 pm »
Reading between the lines, from what I can make out, the BDP-1 treats the NAS just like a normal USB connected drive. ie just another file store but at the end of a network cable instead of USB cable.
Of course it's not quite as simple as that as you'll have a network hub or switch as well.
Your probably better off using a switch to split your Brystom network away from you PC using a switch like what L**n recommend.

Marius

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jul 2012, 09:47 pm »
Hi Ted,
Guess you're right, no 'streaming' but playing from a Nas . Which is more than James thought the Bdp1 was designed for in the beginning.

Then again, what's in a name. I tend to think of 'streaming' as playing a live feed from the internet as opposed to playing stored files from a server.

Still, I do like the posibility of playing non attached files on my bdp1! Call it streaming or not.

Marius

Marius,
Don't you mean connected as a file server (like I do with my Auraliti PK90USB and my Synology NAS), not streaming?  If you are streaming your NAS, what is the streaming software?  No offense but "streaming" seems to be a misused term around here.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jul 2012, 02:35 am »
Hi All,

Just to clarify the NAS feature cOming to the bdp.  The bdp's firmware is going to ship with two new items in the settings web interface.  The first is "NAS setup", this control panel will walk users through a process of selecting a comPuter or NAS containing samba (aka smb aka windows file sharing) shares.  Once successfully connected the settings will be stored in the bdP so it may retain the settings after a reboot.

The second new control panel in the settings page will labled "services".  This will allow you to stop and start a hand full of services on the bdP.  how ever we are adding a new service; a DLNA/UPnP Client.  This will allow the BDP to automatcally connect to UPnP servers hosting media files.  When the firmware ships at the end of the month this feature will still be marked as Beta, but still available to be enabled.

Cheers,
Chris

Alpha10

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jul 2012, 08:39 am »
Chris, your point two is very interesting, does that not mean you have solved your internet radio issue, simply having that running as a service on the NAS, leaving the NAS to worry about the hosting etc?

Cheers

BrysTony

« Reply #34 on: 14 Jul 2012, 01:04 pm »
Can an Apple Time Capsule be used with the BDP-1 as the NAS?

Tony

Marius

« Reply #35 on: 14 Jul 2012, 01:25 pm »
Yes it can!  :thumb:

Can an Apple Time Capsule be used with the BDP-1 as the NAS?

Tony

BrysTony

« Reply #36 on: 14 Jul 2012, 01:58 pm »
Thanks, Marius.  I look forward to getting the software and getting it up and running.

Tony

Marius

« Reply #37 on: 14 Jul 2012, 02:52 pm »
Hi Tony,

Chris did a remarkable job.  I've got my TC and the attached hdd indexed by the new software on the Bdp and it is playing everything playable, even movies, without a glitch.

Took a while updating.... But it was well worth the effort.

Have fun with it soon!
Marius
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2012, 05:47 pm by Marius »

yartle

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jul 2012, 12:36 am »
This could see me order one in the next week  :D

NMG

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:30 pm »
Comrades!

Can someone please explain to a simpleton lawyer like me why this "upgrade" would be beneficial. i.e., what will it allow me to do that I cannot do now, and why I would want to? In my experience, upgrades like this generally increase my BP readings considerably!

Thank you.

Neal :scratch: