If you like Lutoslawski you may also enjoy Wellesz

steve in jersey

Yesterday I may have inadvertently "hi-jacked"(well for a little bit) a thread seeking  info on what music of
Lutoslawski people could suggest. The only music of his that I could think of that I'd have would be on one
of my "Anthology of the RCO live" discs from the Vol.5 & 6 boxed sets (Great performances with even better
sound). Sure enough I found some on disc 5 of Vol.6.

I want to say his music reminds me a bit of Bartok, but not quite as "a tonal" sounding. I keep waiting for the
compositions to "break into melodic interludes" at some point, but that was clearly not what the composer
was striving for. I did notice some elements of his music that reminded me of Composer that I am fond of
Egon Wellesz.

Wellesz will often start a movement in a dark brooding manner depicting some type of turmoil & then from
nowhere  this beautiful melonchollic melody appears. I find it pretty unique the way he accomplishes this.
Wellesz uses a lot of things in his music that also remind me of Mahler.

About the only Label I'm aware of that paid attention to Wellesz's music may be the CPO label. It was only
by chance that I'd heard his music at a Tower Records store in center city Philadelhia. (You didn't actually think
you could find a retail store in S.Jersey w/ a "real" Classical Music section did you ?). I ended up buying the
4 disc box set. This music is very worth seeking out.

Until next time, as Roy Rodgers would sing, "Happy trails to you, until  we. meet  again"