How many of you listen near field?

BrianM

Re: How many of you listen near field?
« Reply #60 on: 19 Dec 2007, 04:40 pm »
Try pulling them out @ 6" increments further into the room, even if it's not practical, try it anyhow.  Those speakers seem easy enough to move quickly in and out of position.  Also experiment with more tow so the axis cross in front of you.  Try less tow and listen carefully to the difference.

Knowing me I'm sure I'll be monkeying around with it some more (to my wife's continued perplexity - she heard it this morning and said why didn't you do this earlier? it sounds perfect!).  The above was just the quick and dirty.  I'm still afraid to touch anything though, 'cause it's sounding soo awesome.

Think of your speakers as fine quality lens that allows for precise focus.  Patient experimentation pays off.  And as you suggested, doing these kind of things can be quite a revelation - to the point where you say, upgrade?  Why upgrade?  :green:

Well, I'd already decided that the Van Alstine gear stays.  I don't think it gets too much better (and for how many thousands more).  Since I'm hearing everything I want now, the last thing would be to get back on the merry-go-round crap shoot.  Not a whole lot lacking.  And the speakers!  Readers take note, these things only cost around $1600, and half that if you build them yourself.  Remarkable.