Re: RED, RED WINE!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #60 on: 25 Nov 2009, 05:07 am »
2009 Wine Spectator 100 list is out and you have #54 is $12.99 and #61 is $9.99!

Wine Legend has Peter Lehmann Shiraz 2006 on sale with free shipping for 6 or more bottles.  I don't know much about the wine but it sounds like a bargain for a wine with a 91 rating and #54 on the annual list.  I am taking the chance and taking a case.  :wine: :wine:

#61  Monte Antico Sangiovese-Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon Toscana is on sale for $9.99 but shipping makes it more like $13.

Man, I just sampled and sampled some more of the case of Peter Lehman Shiraz that I received yesterday.  It's drinking gorgeously just right now.  Everyone is asleep and I am rubbing the chunk of tenderloin with garlic and brown sugar that will be my Chateaubriand for Thanksgiving and I can't stop drinking it.  It may not have the tannins to age too long but it's just succulant right now.  I would say that it matches any $30 to $50 California Syrah or Cote Rotie.  At $12.99, which is a grocery store wine price, it is a steal.  I am telling you this is a chance you shouldn't waste.  Go get a 6 pack (for free shipping) right now. :wine: :wine: :rock:

I enjoyed your recent posts very much!

Right, now, sipping on Red Guitar, but my latest fav is Fat Bastard Shiraz...  The wife is running though about a bottle every other day, and we live in PA (state stores).  They have "chairman selections" that have proven to be finds here and there!

Red wine for me, guys, or Bombay Sapphire...

BobM

Re: RED, RED WINE! (New Top 100 List)
« Reply #61 on: 25 Nov 2009, 01:34 pm »
If you like Bombay Sapphire then you owe it to yourself to try New Amsterdam. About 2/3 the price and just as smooth and delicious. I't definitely a gin for vodka lovers, just like Sapphire is.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #62 on: 2 Dec 2009, 11:48 pm »
If you like Bombay Sapphire then you owe it to yourself to try New Amsterdam. About 2/3 the price and just as smooth and delicious. I't definitely a gin for vodka lovers, just like Sapphire is.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
I just did have some New Am last night, and it was great!  Much less "sterile" tasting than Bombay, actually, and MUCH less expensive.  Thanks.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #63 on: 27 Jan 2010, 09:15 pm »
Get your  #10 wine on the '09 Top 100 list for $ 16.97!

This is the best $16.97 bottle I have ever tasted.  :wine:  Free shipping too! (for a case anyway)  :thumb:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 19 Aug 2010, 06:34 pm »
96 Rated by Wine Spectator and #11 on 2009's top 100 wine list.  I have tasted this and it's really good now if you give it a chance to breath for a few hours.  This will only get better the next 20 years if you want to cellar it.  TCWC is offering it again for $37.50.  It's an excellent buy.  Needlessly to say, I have placed an order for a case just now.  :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine:

POGGIO IL CASTELLARE
Brunello di Montalcino 2004

low.pfile

« Reply #65 on: 19 Aug 2010, 08:15 pm »
I went a little nuts....bought a bottle of 2004 Leonetti Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley after having 3 sips at a dinner party. $100. now I need to have a dinner party with food fitting of the bottle. typically buying $10-18 bottles. no cellaring.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #66 on: 19 Aug 2010, 08:32 pm »
Excellent buy as in good price for an excellent red or excellent price for an even better wine? :)

In any event, I think I might have to do the same as you did.

Thanks,
96 Rated by Wine Spectator and #11 on 2009's top 100 wine list.  I have tasted this and it's really good now if you give it a chance to breath for a few hours.  This will only get better the next 20 years if you want to cellar it.  TCWC is offering it again for $37.50.  It's an excellent buy.  Needlessly to say, I have placed an order for a case just now.  :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine:

POGGIO IL CASTELLARE
Brunello di Montalcino 2004

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 26 Oct 2010, 07:57 pm »
I will go out on a limb and recommend this red wine from Campagnia.  I didn't know much about Aglianico based wine before but I got to taste some this summer while I was traveling in Italy.  Although it hails from the same region, the  Falerno del Massico is different from the more famous Lacryma Christi (tears of Christ) which is mostly Piedirosso grown from the hills of Mt. Vesuvius.  This wine is made mostly from Aglianico grape grown on the volcanic slopes of Mt. Massico north of Naples.  It's hard to describe exactly but a Falerno del Massico rosso is more fruit forward than a Nebbiolo based Barrolo.  It's also lighter than Sangiovese based Tuscans but still has good structure and balance.  I liked it. 

Luca Maroni is a respected Italian wine reviewer and he gave it 97 out of 100 and called it the Italian red wine of the year.  I liked the Campagnian red I tasted in Italy and I am going to go for this offering at the price of $24.95.  If nothing else, it will bring good memories of Italy.  :wine: :wine:
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2010, 08:17 pm by woodsyi »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 3 Nov 2010, 08:08 pm »
Received an offer I couldn't resist -- a case in original wooden crate of Chateau Leoville Barton, Saint Julien from the great year 2005.  Wine Spectator rated it 96 and Parker rated it 94 but really, what does that mean?  We have one of the most consistently performing classified second growth on a fabulous year.  Can it be anything less than great?  This is the kind of stuff that all the cult wines of Napa is trying to be.  I wouldn't be able to sniff at a bottle like this at any wine shop for anything less than 100 bucks.  Yet, I was given a great case price.  I think it's the confluence of the state of European (world) economy, strength of $ and the 2009 vintage being excellent.  Just like 2005 eclipsed 2000, 2009 is bound to steal some thunder from the 2005 vintage.  Anyway, it's a bargain I couldn't turn down. Some times, you just have to jump on it and ask questions later.  :hyper: :hyper: :dance: :wine:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #69 on: 3 Nov 2010, 08:25 pm »
So - when's the sampling?  :icon_lol:

Are you getting these local, or having them shipped?

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 3 Nov 2010, 08:46 pm »
So - when's the sampling?  :icon_lol:

Are you getting these local, or having them shipped?

In about 5 years.  :wink:  I get wine from all over the country including local.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:28 pm »
Schild Shiraz 2008 has just been ranked #7 on the new 2010 Wine Spectator top 100 list with a score of 94. 

Schild Shiraz Barossa Valley 2007 only garnered 92 and was ranked #42 on the 2009 top 100 list.  The current price of $16.46 per bottle shipped based on case purchase may not last.  The continued upward showing on the Wine Spectator may escalate the price for all vintages.  As is, the 07 is an excellent buy.  Both Schild and Peter Lehman I have tasted were delicious. I would get some if I didn't already have a case.   :wine: :wine:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #72 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:35 pm »
I may have overlooked the details but which one did you get a case of?

Thanks,
Schild Shiraz 2008 has just been ranked #7 on the new 2010 Wine Spectator top 100 list with a score of 94. 

Schild Shiraz Barossa Valley 2007 only garnered 92 and was ranked #42 on the 2009 top 100 list.  The current price of $16.46 per bottle shipped based on case purchase may not last.  The continued upward showing on the Wine Spectator may escalate the price for all vintages.  As is, the 07 is an excellent buy.  Both Schild and Peter Lehman I have tasted were delicious. I would get some if I didn't already have a case.   :wine: :wine:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:45 pm »
I may have overlooked the details but which one did you a case of?

Thanks,

08 is still NIS for most stores.  Some haven't even priced it yet.  I think $19.99 with $40 per case shipping was the best I found so far.  It will probably go up.  I have the 07.  It's the O7 that is on sale at Wine Legend.  Just click on the "blue highlighted" link. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #74 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:55 pm »
Cool and thanks.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #75 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:58 pm »
I love a good Shiraz, but this isn't appearing on my vendor's web site, (I hate being in PA), but there a few other well regarded Barossa Valley vintages, I'll have to grab a few, though all $15 or more than the Schild.

JuanR

« Reply #76 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:11 pm »
Angel landis cabernet 2007 around $ 15, great wine. good as any $40.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #77 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:20 pm »
I tend to sample several different wines on a regional basis.  So far my favorite region overall is the Rhone Valley in France.  Almost everything from this region has been great.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:41 pm »
Northern Rhone is Syrah based.  Aussies call it Shiraz.  Different terroir but good in it's own way.  For some reason Shiraz is more approachable early.  Kind of like the people you know.  Aussies are more gregarious than the French.  That is, initially, any way. :lol:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #79 on: 3 Dec 2010, 06:38 pm »
2006 Argiano Solengo for under $35 shipped is a bargain.  2006 was a very good year for Super Tuscans and this wine is rated 94 by Wine Spectator and 93 by Wine Advocate.  This kind of "universal" rating usually goes with wines well over $50 a bottle.  I have not tasted this particular wine but I like Super Tuscans in general.  Unlike other ones though, Solengo is now 45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot and 25% Syrah with a touch of Petit Verdot and no Sangiovese.  Can't wait to try.  :wine: :wine: