McDonalds

Wayner

Re: McDonalds
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2016, 08:54 pm »
Our bodies are made from fats and proteins. It also needs salt to make reverse osmosis to work. I am very much an omnivore and enjoy my share of red meat. No, I don't read up on the latest bunch of propaganda on what is good/bad for you. A lot of how we are is in our DNA.

My grandmother would make breakfast in the morning on the Monarch wood burning cooking stove. She would get out the "never washed" cast iron skillet, fry up some pork product (usually bacon), then fry some eggs in the bacon grease (basting the eggs with the bacon grease). We would then have toast (home made, using LARD),  giving it a more then generous amount of butter, pour a glass of whole milk (it was pasteurized), and grandma and grandpa would have only what I would call "Norwegian diesel fuel" for coffee.

Grandma died at the ripe old age of 97. Grandpa sometime earlier (World War I vet).

Wayner

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2016, 08:55 pm »
I suspect I am simply trading one for another, but I don't eat much McD's anymore.

2-3 times a month my family will, but I head to Subway those evenings.  One of my daughters does too.

I used to eat McD's with frequency, but aging seems to have tempered my desire for it some.

CSI

« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2016, 11:13 pm »
Our bodies are made from fats and proteins. It also needs salt to make reverse osmosis to work. I am very much an omnivore and enjoy my share of red meat. No, I don't read up on the latest bunch of propaganda on what is good/bad for you. A lot of how we are is in our DNA.

My grandmother would make breakfast in the morning on the Monarch wood burning cooking stove. She would get out the "never washed" cast iron skillet, fry up some pork product (usually bacon), then fry some eggs in the bacon grease (basting the eggs with the bacon grease). We would then have toast (home made, using LARD),  giving it a more then generous amount of butter, pour a glass of whole milk (it was pasteurized), and grandma and grandpa would have only what I would call "Norwegian diesel fuel" for coffee.

Grandma died at the ripe old age of 97. Grandpa sometime earlier (World War I vet).

Wayner

My old aunt Flossie lived the same way. Spent most of her life in a one room house in Estancia NM cooking on a wood stove. She lived to 103. You might argue it was because they never opened a McD's in Estancia but I'm giving the credit to all that bacon grease and fried eggs. She also cooked pies constantly and generally doubled the usual amount of sugar "just in case".

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2016, 11:44 pm »
The fries at Burger King are a lot better. Let McDonald's fries sit for a few minutes, they turn to inedible leather.

McDonald's fries, like their burgers, are especially disgusting and unfit for dignified human consumption.

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 20 Dec 2016, 12:55 am »
Three years ago, employees were warned not to eat fast food for their health. So my wife and I quit.

McDonald’s yanks website warning employees to avoid eating fast food

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mcdonald-yanks-website-warning-employees-avoid-eating-fast-food-article-1.1558895

2bigears

« Reply #25 on: 20 Dec 2016, 01:12 am »
 :D   fast food is DEAD food.  almost zero good for you as it kills the gut health.  the potatoes they use are sprayed heavily.
           garbage in for bad health.  and old people use to work hard. plus their food was home raised.  we are all lazy now.  :D
              salt, grease and sugar.  perfect for adding pounds .  our health care is running outta money from people eating bad and
                not moving around enough.  :D      fat, lazy and more stupid every day.  haha ,,,,,,, :D

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2016, 01:15 am »
Their salads seem okay but the rest of their food you can keep.

2bigears

« Reply #27 on: 20 Dec 2016, 01:20 am »
 :D   the salads have more cals than a burger meal ,    :D

Wayner

« Reply #28 on: 20 Dec 2016, 02:07 am »
Fast food was never meant to be a life style, just as working there was never meant to be a life time job. You can lump pizza shops, bar food and cafe food in with all of this. Eating it once in a while is not going to endanger your health.

Demonizing a restaurant chain because a bunch of dopes live there is not right either.

I happen to be a stock holder in DIN (Applebees/IHOP) and find their food fine for what it is, and again, its not a lifestyle.

Wayner

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #29 on: 20 Dec 2016, 02:23 am »
Fast food was never meant to be a life style, just as working there was never meant to be a life time job. You can lump pizza shops, bar food and cafe food in with all of this. Eating it once in a while is not going to endanger your health.

Demonizing a restaurant chain because a bunch of dopes live there is not right either.

I happen to be a stock holder in DIN (Applebees/IHOP) and find their food fine for what it is, and again, its not a lifestyle.

Wayner
You have a good point.. "It's not a lifestyle". It shouldn't be but for many it is....

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #30 on: 20 Dec 2016, 02:33 am »
I think Charlie is pretty well off, having eaten there only once in the last 85 years.  :wink:

Glad you enjoyed the Big Mac and fries, Charlie. Next time, don't forget the chocolate shake.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

2bigears

« Reply #31 on: 20 Dec 2016, 02:55 am »
 :D   like a carbon tax ,,,, they are thinking of a meat tax which would make a hamburger 40% more to buy. 
           the meat industry is killing the earth....  just so we can stuff our pie holes with garbage  ,,,, ha 

Randy

« Reply #32 on: 20 Dec 2016, 03:22 am »
McDonald's fries, like their burgers, are especially disgusting and unfit for dignified human consumption.
That's a matter of opinion.  I like the Egg McMuffins when they don't burn the muffin.

Wayner

« Reply #33 on: 20 Dec 2016, 03:25 am »
The meat industry is not killing the earth. Most beef cattle eat grass, which would otherwise not be utilized. Human over population and their own pollution is killing the earth. If your worried about cow farts, how many Dinosaurs were there back 60 million years ago, and I'm sure they all had off-gassing. So were vulcanos.

RDavidson

« Reply #34 on: 20 Dec 2016, 03:45 am »
Be accountable for your health and what you eat. Because, anecdotally, your aunt Suzie lived to 100 years old while eating pounds of bacon daily, doesn't mean you should nor expect to live to 100 by doing so. We're all genetically different (as Wayner said). However, if there's a blanket health statement that is true for the vast majority of people, it is to eat bad foods only in moderation (if at all). If you eat 85%-90% healthy, natural, whole foods, the last 10%-15% shouldn't really matter. Of course, eating the right balance of protein, fat, and carbs is important too, but that's more of a secondary issue. The problem is that people are addicted to eating 80%-90% garbage. It kind of pisses me off when people point the finger at the fast food chains and how convenient they are etc. etc. Unless you're forced to eat that kind of food or have a lack of choice (which I know is a true problem in some places), then you need to step back and examine your thought process and lifestyle. McDonald's isn't the enemy. The enemy is a lack of education (which is a giant can of worms in and of itself) and the societal fallout from it. Do you think McDonald's would exist as it does if it wasn't for this fact?

2bigears

« Reply #35 on: 20 Dec 2016, 03:48 am »
 :D    the meat industry in collective from farms to the store accounts for 30% greenhouse gasses. loss of trees for pasture ,
           trucking ,, refrigeration, water usage is huge. meat eating is way outta control. we eat way to much as health suffers.. :D
                eat less-------eat better--------mostly plant based.......    food is medicine

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 20 Dec 2016, 05:29 am »
Even if meat is "bad for the Earth" you can't blame McD's very much.  I mean, they probably get ten thousand of those tiny burgers out of a single cow! :P  Personally I come down on the agnostic side re fast food.  This thread made me think of McD's, something I don't often do.  Tonight I had a bunch of stuff to do (day off, running errands all day).  Thinking of this thread I popped into Mickie D's and had a McDouble and a glass of tea.  For fast food it was actually pretty good.  I'm a professional chef by vocation but I have my guilty pleasures like everyone.  As Wayner says, fast food is just fine IMO for what it is- an occasional indulgence and/or time saver.  You shouldn't live on it and it won't be a great career for everyone (although it can be for some).  Fast food is a symptom of the times, not the cause.  That's how I perceive it.

sebrof

« Reply #37 on: 20 Dec 2016, 09:45 am »
There are no bad foods, only bad diets. Eat too much of anything and you have a bad diet. (Too much of one thing means you're either not eating other things you should eat or you're over eating)

One of my favorite meals is 2 cheeseburgers, fries and a coke at McDonalds. I have that maybe 3 or 4 times a year. That's pretty much the only fast food I eat, except for when I am on a road trip or something like that.

My opinion is that anything you think you know is correct about nutrition is likely (1) unsupported by scientific evidence; and/or (2) has scientific evidence on both sides so there's no clear "winner"; and/or (3) is completely wrong. 
Can't disagree with this. I believe the best way to deal with nutrition is to eat a wide variety of foods, lots of fruit, veggies, and lean meats, drink water. Eat food - If it has a list of ingredients on the side, to me it's probably not food. Bananas, Yogurt, Pork loin...stuff like that don't have a list of ingredients. Peanut butter = Peanuts. You get the idea. Don't get caught up in special diets, or drinking green tea because it's better for you...that stuff really shouldn't matter if you eat food.

Just my 2 cents

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #38 on: 20 Dec 2016, 03:31 pm »
I'm in the camp of Sebrof, Rob Babcock, R Davidson, Wayner, etc.

Americans only need look in the mirror to find out why they are obese.  It is not the fault of McDonalds.  In addition to the burgers, they also have the following:

Fruit/yogurt Parfait  150 calories
Side Salad 15 calories
Egg McMuffin 290 calories
Egg White McMuffin  250 calories
Hotcakes  330 calories
Sausage Burrito  290 calories

Unfortunately, McDonalds is the favorite "whipping boy" of the media/public on a number of fronts.  They are not the only business that pays minimum wage (and up).  Yet whenever you see picketing for higher minimum wages, they are always in front of a McDonalds.  Not a Wendy's, Arby's, Burger King, Walmart, etc.

Places like Panera's get a free pass when folks talk about fast food and obesity.  Let's take a closer look...

Panera's

Chipotle Chicken Avacado Melt  Cal. 800, Fat  57, Sodium 1820 mg.
Steak/White Cheddar Panini  Cal. 850, Fat 65, Sodium 1320 mg.
Frontega Chicken(my favorite) Cal. 750, Fat 32, Sodium 2050 mg.  :o
Bacon Turkey Bravo Sandwich  Cal. 720, Fat 43, Sodium 1900 mg.

McDonald's

Big Mac  Cal. 540, Fat 28
Quarter Pounder w/cheese  Cal. 530, Fat 27
Double Quarter Pounder w/cheese  Cal. 770, Fat 45
McDouble(my fav.)  Cal. 380, Fat 18

While I love getting the full meals with fries, I try to just get the sandwich.  We all have choices to make (although the government wants to make them for us...)

My choice is to have a McDouble along with two apple pies  :thumb: from time to time.

Regards,

Randy

2bigears

« Reply #39 on: 20 Dec 2016, 03:31 pm »
 :D. wrong .  Wrong ,,, Wrong.   There are BAD FOODS.  and we eat way too much of them.
        Factory processed food is generally very bad.   Sugar , fat and salted to the moon.
           And if you eat too much of this boxed food,  guess what ?  Your health will go downhill.
       MacD's burger once in a while is fine.  Skip fries and pop.   Moderation in ANYTHING is key.  :D