Beyer DT1350 CC's

viggen

Re: Beyer DT1350 CC's
« Reply #20 on: 6 Dec 2013, 05:25 pm »
Ha.. I know I am probably doing a disservice by posting my initial impressions before the phones are fully broken into but just wanted to post my notes somewhere.  But, just want to keep track of things I am doing to get whatever sound out of the cans for now.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: 6 Dec 2013, 11:33 pm »
Congrats on your 1350's.

I have had several sets of cans over the last two years, amps and dacs....and played from a pc directly as well.

Never satisfied with pc sound, my staple is the O2 amp and ODAC, reference quality for $279.

The 1350s sound superb on this setup and the differences come from the material mainly.

They never sound muddied or smeared, but compared to my T90s they sound as wide or open and this may be why the decay is
missing or not as great as you would like.

For the last few weeks I have been going back and forth between the 2 cans, while my AKG 701s and Grados have been gathering dust...lol.

Female vocals on the T90s are absolutely fine, on the 1350s they are ok but are not as nice, but still very acceptable.

After having the 1350s for some time I called Beyer and asked them what to get in their line that was more, open  airy and a more natural soundstage.

The recommended me to try the DT990s or T90s.

The T90s are the end of the road to me.

That said the 1350 for that price range are stellar and I would not want to part with them

Good Luck!
Alex

viggen

« Reply #22 on: 7 Dec 2013, 07:14 pm »
Funny you should mention K701.  I just hooked the Audio Sector dac up to the Greatech muVac amp powering the 1350s, and the sound is beautiful.  And, being that I am not satisfied with the sound unless I got the headphone hooked up to a bunch of gear, it doesn't seem likely I would use the 1350 at work.  So, I thought if I were to get a set of cans for home use exclusively, I'd want to go open air.  And, K701 is the first headphone that popped out when I googled "open air headphone": http://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/1c7ngb/headphones_open_air_or_closed/

I think I want to go open air for three reasons.  1) it's supposed to be more comfortable?  2) it's supposed to have best sound?  3) I can hear my baby crying better than I can if I were to use isolating headphones? 

So, my search is on haha. 

BTW, using a set of Slinklinks RCA cables to connect dac to amp now.  While using D3, I was using a cheapie 3.5mm to RCA cable.  So, there's a bit of difference there.  But, overall, I am thinking the newer USB dacs despite having the newest technologies still lack the drive/overall SQ that my older Audio Sector has.  I am not sure I want to keep using the muVac though.  It's designed for speakers, so, ergonomically, it's messy to use for headphones.  I have to turn the amp around, so the speaker binding post is pointing towards me.  So, also eyeing the Schiit's new Vali amp.  It uses the same pencil tubes as the Greatech.  I do wonder how much technology Schiit "stole" from Greatech.. heh.  Going to do more research on which amp to get...

Also, I can't use the Jplay driver with the Audio Sector DAC.  They are not talking to each other.  Maybe they will after I reboot?  Who knows but not missing Jplay for now.  With the AS DAC in place of D3, body more in focus, decay is back at just the right amount I am used to, lots and lots of air such as atmosphere as well as the vocalist breathing and around the instruments.  Good amount of warmth that I am used to coming out of NOS dacs.  Perhaps I am missing a touch of textual details because of all this air and warmth compared to the sound coming out of the D3?

viggen

« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2013, 07:15 pm »
Interesting. I got the T51p today, the look-alike cousin to the DT-1350. Also 80 ohms I think, also somewhat inefficient. Sounds very different - the T51p is very dark, somewhat muffled without EQ, then EQ'ing is difficult due to a big 10 db or so spike at 5 khz (compared to the other 12 headphones I use).

Did you also experience some less optimal powering with 1350/T51p with D3?  You probably never used the 1350 with D3 but you did with microstreamer?

viggen

« Reply #24 on: 9 Dec 2013, 07:57 pm »
I just took out my stereo equipment from closet and set them up to play headphones over the weekend.  Dell XPS into Audio Sector USB DAC into Kora Crescendo Pre into Greatech muVac amp into DT1350.  The cans sound infinitely better now compared to initially using the Audioengine D3 dac/amp.  Very musical with favorable tube "distortion".  Had the phones on head for 4 hours and "suffered" through the ear discomfort.  I ordered a DT990 Pro 250ohm which should arrive today.  Mainly want the more comfy form factor as well as open back design.  If it sounds better than DT1350 then that's just gravy. 

Also briefly used the headphone out from the Crescendo into the DT1350.  A darker presentation, liquidy smooth.  Not a lot of drive or air though. 

viggen

« Reply #25 on: 9 Dec 2013, 11:25 pm »
I don't remember if you have the DT1350 refresh version. Is that the same as 'CC'? If you already have it, the more ideal solutions are 1) Run from D3 only to eliminate all those suffocating connections and extra devices, or 2) Find a real tube/valve headphone amp. If your DT1350 is the original version, I imagine the new earpads would be night and day different.

The DT1350 version I have is the refreshed on aka face lift.  I can tell because the ear pad's diameter is larger than the cup holding the ear pads.  The CC just means the cable is coiled.

I've been researching tubed headphone amps a bit over the weekend and the ALO and Schiit is on my radar.  However, I think I am happy with the amplification I have now at least until after I narrow down the headphone first.  Got the DT990 and thinking about trying the AKG 712 too.

viggen

« Reply #26 on: 9 Dec 2013, 11:31 pm »
The best thing I found in open air is going to seem a little peculiar here, but this is it: I got the Shure 1440 and cut the foams (Note: genuine Shure foams) off the back of the spare earpads, then stuffed those foams neatly into the earcups to smooth out the treble. But it wasn't quite enough I thought, so I got another set of replacement earpads from Shure and added those foams too. Actually, to get the third layer into the earcups neatly I removed the first one I added and then tucked 2 foams together neatly into each earcup. Now the treble was really, really smooth - and still quite detailed. I have a video on that that I need to repost.

Is this the same as a polyfill effect where the headphone's enclosure is "enlarged" by adding more fill?  This is how car audio people get more bass out of small sub driver enclosures.

viggen

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2013, 03:24 am »
Well, got the DT990 Pro and been using it for close to two hours now.  Initial impressions: 1) sounds good with the tube gear however female voices and high pitched instruments like bells are sibilant.  2) much more open and spacious sounding than DT1350.  The bass is no longer "funky" and not sure whether this is a good thing with the lack(er) of personality.  3) switched off the tube gear and plugged the DT990s into the D3 w/ Jplay driver, FR seems much flatter but in a good way.  No flavor to speak of just clear and smooth sound.  D3 seems to have better synergy with DT990 for now.  Maybe cuz they are both pro gear or at least D3 has pro dna.  Been reading the FR on DT990 is 'v' shaped, and that certainly is true with the tube gear but not with the D3.  Fairly transparent sound.  On the D3, the DT990 definitely wins the DT1350.  DT1350 still wins on tube gear.  That is until both get more burn in time.  4) swith from Jplay driver to Audioengine driver on foobar, the sibilance is back on bells and hi hats and slightly on female voices.  Presentation is flatter, less air, more tv speaker like, slightly more fatiguing but with slightly better decay in midrange.  I think I can get used to this maybe.  This flatter presentation is actually more interesting, for now.  Listening to it more 'analytically' is actually bit more enjoying this way.  BTW, D3's volume is controlled by the PC, and I have it at 80%.  I think I am half of that with the DT1350.

viggen

« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2013, 04:55 pm »
I think the 990 should smooth out on each system you use it. There's a guy who has a blog for reviews called noblehifi (I think that's accurate) - name is Edd, and he's the king of Beyerdynamic reviewers from everything I've read. He generally prefers the 880 from what I remember, but his review or reviews of the DT990 would be well worth looking up.

Thanks for the recommendation to noblehifi.  Lots of good read there.  He has a review of the DT880 though but still good read.  So far, I like both DT1350 and DT990.  DT990 being the more neutral headphone while DT1350 more romantic.  After some readings, it seems the newer BeyerD cans are more romantic sounding with the T series.  ZombieX on headfi calls the DT1350 the baby T1.  So, I do like the DT990 especially in the comfort department but want more of the DT1350's sound as well.  DT990's open back design takes a bit getting used to.  Soundstage seems too wide.  Sound pressure seems too low.  I feel like I want to turn on my Velodyne sub.  Not that the sub frequencies can't be heard but it can't be felt.  Seems like I have to move towards the T series to get what I want? 

viggen

« Reply #29 on: 16 Dec 2013, 02:26 am »
I literally just opened up a box for the DT880 660ohm.  It already sounds better than both the 990 and 1350 does after at least 50 hours on each.  I THINK I found my headphones.

Did a headphone swapping session late last night between the 1350, 990 and a pair of Fostex T50rp.  The 1350 and 990 has at least 50 hours each on them and the Fostex with at least 24 hours on them.  The 990 is coming along fine and has surpassed the 1350.  And, so did the Fostex. 

I found a real sweet spot after swapping the pads between the Fostex's pleather cushions and the 990's velour/air cushions.  The 990 achieved this thick syrupy mid range that I've been looking for.  The bass is no longer "fat" but is controlled and with "direction".  The treble is also tamed.  A totally black background is achieved.

The Fostex lost almost all its lower bass with the Beyer cushion, but its mid range gained air and detail as well as "character". 

I ordered a couple of Shure ear pads to play with.  Waiting to receive them.

So, currently, DT880 sounds best except when compared to 990 with Fostex ear pads.  Or, should I say, the 880 doesn't draw attention to itself.  Whereas, the 990 with Fostex pads are mind melting and terribly hard to remove from head because of how good it sounds.

viggen

« Reply #30 on: 16 Dec 2013, 05:36 am »
I hear something playing in the background .... ummm .... it's Mad Dog by Mr. Speakers.

Hey you are auditioning one of those?  Can't wait to hear what you think of them vis a vis the Beyers!

I've been reading up the Fostex mod threads and can't get past how lifeless (but well measured?) the headphone must sound after they plaster them up with clay and felt.  But, apparently, Mr. Speaker found a magic formula? 

I did a couple of easy and completely reversible tweaks with the Fostex to get them to sound amazingly good.  I stick my thumb between the ear pad and the lobe of my ear and gently lift outwards until the transducers are aiming straight at my ears.  A tweak that completely changes the way the head phone sounds for the better yet completely reversible.

Starting to think this whole headphone thing is quite gimmicky...

viggen

« Reply #31 on: 19 Dec 2013, 09:53 pm »
Well, I shipped the DT1350s back to big river today.  I should receive a Hifiman HE-500 tomorrow. 

milford3

« Reply #32 on: 20 Dec 2013, 12:29 am »
  Whereas, the 990 with Fostex pads are mind melting and terribly hard to remove from head because of how good it sounds.

I own the 990's.  Very interesting indeed.

viggen

« Reply #33 on: 20 Dec 2013, 01:02 am »
  Whereas, the 990 with Fostex pads are mind melting and terribly hard to remove from head because of how good it sounds.

Yes it's interesting how much change in sound each headphone has by just changing the pad.  I got some Shure pads in and will test them out later.

ajzepp

« Reply #34 on: 20 Dec 2013, 02:33 am »
Well, I shipped the DT1350s back to big river today.  I should receive a Hifiman HE-500 tomorrow.

I'm guessing you'll probably really enjoy the HifiMans...I know many people on head-fi who feel the 500s are the best in the hifiman lineup and compete favorably with some of Audeze's best offerings.

viggen

« Reply #35 on: 20 Dec 2013, 05:27 am »
I'm guessing you'll probably really enjoy the HifiMans...I know many people on head-fi who feel the 500s are the best in the hifiman lineup and compete favorably with some of Audeze's best offerings.

Thanks for the comment! 

I was going back and forth between the HE500 and HE400.  Most people say the 500 is similar to Beyer DT880 but much better while the HE400 is similar to DT990 but sorta sideways-diagonally better.  I prefer the DT880 over the DT990 and other headphones I am trying out at the moment, so I am moving towards the HE500.  I really like the way the cans look too cept for the silk screened logo.

Right after I placed my order for HE500 on big river, I found the Audeze LCD2 is 20% off at Headamp.com which makes them only $100 apart.  But, oh well, I am stretching my self imposed HP budget by more than 200% already.  The madness has to stop somewhere, right?

viggen

« Reply #36 on: 20 Dec 2013, 05:48 am »

Just reporting back to you regarding how the 990s sound with Shure pads. 

Compared to 990 with stock pads, the cans sounds closed in, the bass hits a bit softer but deeper as if a 15" sub got traded for an 18", the highs doesn't have any of that air/sparkle/snap.  But, it doesn't have any of the nasty stuff in the 990s such as treble spike and uncontrolled fat bass.  This is an unspectacular sound that most people would probably write off within 30 seconds of listening.  But, I think it's very good for longer term listening.  Non-fatiguing.  Sound is smooth from top to bottom though there's not a whole lot of top up there as the sound is very dark.  Probably doesn't balance well with my source and amp as my dac is NOS and amp/pre are tube.  Might work better with a standard dac than a NOS dac?

Or, maybe another way of putting it is the lows is better integrated with the mids and highs but, at the same time, the lows are overpowering the mids and highs just a bit resulting in a darker/woolier sound.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2017, 12:59 pm »
Just an update I recently got a Schitt Vahalla 2 OTL amp to try out with my Beyer T1's 2nd Gen. These poor old 1350's have been sitting there on a stand for months with little use due to newer arrivals. But the newer Vahalla 2 was redesigned to work with a wider set of impedance's....so what the heck lets try the 1350's in it...they didn't play very well at all on the Bottlehead Crack.

The results are stunning to me, these are really small sized closed cans that don't fit over your ears...and they are claimed by many not that comfortable. They are portable by design. That said mine are very comfortable to my head..no issue after many hours of useage, just broke in very well and I can listen for hours with them.

I went from the T1's right to the 1350's and their was an immediate ..holy cow!! These sound great! The immediate difference was the cans just seems to disappear and the soundstage was really wide...and the bass was outstanding...I was listening to the first Cowboy Junkies, Trinity Series....the recording was done in an old church with really good acoustics...the re-verb and ambient noise is really neat to listen to...the bass end here is a thump, thump, low in the chest feeling....and the T1's were having a bit of an issue IMO recreating this...but the 1350's made this stuff "pop" out and it was like your there....amazing.

I just looked on Amazon and these can be had for $125 +/- !! So to me these are a GREAT entry level "priced" cans that are above the entry level in sound reproduction...

If your new to this stuff you cant go wrong with a set of these for your first headphones!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 19 Mar 2017, 10:23 pm »
Dale do they fit on the 1350s easily or require some rework?

Interesting comment, I will take a look at them.

Alex