3.7i - First Sounds

jhm731

« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2014, 05:51 pm by jhm731 »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: 3.7i Review
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2014, 09:54 pm »
That was kind of an odd review which left a lot of unanswered questions such as:
How do they compare to the previous 3.7s?
What were they like without the DMWs?
What did the DMWs add to the mix? and
Did he prefer the 20.7s over the 3.7i/DMW combo?

SwamisCat

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2014, 05:15 pm »
Yeah, I agree, Steve.

I wonder if "first sounds" in the title is an indication that a more in depth review is forthcoming?

I certainly agree with the reviewer that the new model needs to be pointed directly at the listener. I was surprised though when he states the DWM did not affect upper bass or lower mids. In my room, this is where their presence is most dramatic. Indeed, they hardly matter at all below 80 hz, and getting the upper bass and lower mids to perfection requires countless hours of experimentation in my room. It is easy to get an annoying peak in the lower range of vocals or muddiness in upper bass.

The benefit of course once properly aligned is ruler flat (or tailored to taste) Maggie bass which is impractical from just two panels by themselves.

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2014, 09:07 pm »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2014, 01:29 am »
Trickle down technology from the 20.7 mumbles Mr. Diller, new  crossover says a dealer in England, hmmm...
Shame nobody wants to rip the sock off of theirs.  Anyone?

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2014, 07:40 am »
To me it is strange that no one has opened them up and checked the crossover. The speakers have been for sale since late 2010/early 2011!

Davey

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2014, 02:59 pm »
I just don't think there's that level of curiosity from the vast majority of owners.  (And nothing wrong with that.)
We might not like to admit it, but we technical-DIY goofballs are a very small part of the Maggie ownership group.  :)  If I had a pair I would open them up even before I listened to them the first time.....but that's just me.  :)
It's obvious that no meaningful information will ever be forthcoming from Magnepan or Mr. Diller, so it's just a wait and see procedure.

I do get a smile out of what passes for a "review" these days though.  Just various listening tests with no technical information and objective measurements is not a product review....IMO.  Maybe Marc Mickelson could have reviewed the cuisine at his dinner with Wendell.  That would have a been a more informative "review."

Dave.

jhm731

Re: 3.7i - First Sounds
« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2014, 05:57 pm »
In fairness to Mr.Mickelson, I labeled this thread as a "review."

It's labeled as "First Sounds" on TABlog, not a full review.

I changed the title of the thread.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct 2014, 07:32 pm »
I appreciate your posting it and hopefully he'll go into a bit more detail further on.
On a totally unrelated note, I messed around with my 3.7s today and got the placement right and pulled the sub up about a foot in front of the L/H speaker and it's sounding pretty good. 
A second sub would be a good thing, I think, but I may have to go to ditch the box types and go with big water heater types due to space constraints.

Davey

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2014, 01:26 am »
In fairness to Mr.Mickelson, I labeled this thread as a "review."

It's labeled as "First Sounds" on TABlog, not a full review.

I changed the title of the thread.

Yeah, that's a good point.  Thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately, any further "review"ing (if it happens) of this speaker by Mickelson will not contain any further technical detail or objective testing.  I don't believe he has the background, ability, or equipment to properly review any speaker system......let alone a challenging one like this.  It's all subjective evaluation......which is fine.  That's all most folks are interested in anyway.

The whole "i" thing is still surreal.  It's like an enthusiast sports car driver being offered the chance to improve their ride, but when questions regarding the specifics of the modification are asked you get nothing but a smile and zero information.  Most enthusiast owners would not put up with that nonsense.  :)

Dave.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2014, 02:55 pm »
I can't imagine that too many people jumped at the opportunity to send in their speakers plus $500 for the Mystery Upgrade.

mgard

« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2014, 06:58 pm »
Hi Steve,

I did and they told me there is a 4 to 6 week back log before they can get to mine. The reason I did is I can't change out gear that often and these are the best speakers I have ever had. My 3.7's are two years old and still sound bright on some music. I was hoping the upgrade would give them a warmer sound. I also just sent in my order for Mye stands. Then I hear everybody raving about putting Stillpoints under there speakers. $2000 for 8 Ultra SS footers is a bit out of reach right now plus I don't know what that would do to the sound. I don't have the experience that many of you do and rely on what I read and then drink the kool aid.  :>)
With shipping this mystery upgrade is closer to $1,000, ouch...

~Mike

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2014, 07:26 pm »
You'd think they would be able to have your local dealer perform the upgrade if they won't just sell the parts directly to the customer.
From the trickle of information available it sounds like they're just pulling the staples, pulling up the socks, unplugging some parts and then plugging some new ones in there and then reattaching the socks.

a.wayne

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:15 pm »
At the frequency of blown tweeters, interesting no one has one opened up yet with pictures ....

mgard

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:41 pm »
I am with you on that one Steve. When I first heard about the upgrade, I was more concerned about shipping damage. After reading a couple of reviews on how great and marvelous (I am easily influenced), I decided to go for it. I did make a big pallet to ship it on with $6000 insurance which is under full replacement costs. My Maggies are the dark cherry. If I recall it was closer to $6,300. Before shipping them off I just moved them down in my basement so I didn't really get a good feel for what they sound like down there other than still bright at times. I have not been using the resistors. I'll definitely be able to tell if that is toned down when I get them back.

~Mike