Falcon PSU and RoadRunner Tachometer by Phoenix Engineering LLC

xsb7244

Add on to improve your turntable.  Ask Phoenix Engineering what turntables can or can not be used.

http://www.phoenix-engr.com/#!/

xsb7244

dyfromhawaii

read unclestu's comments in his blog of about 2 months ago...it's on his website...www.audiodirectionltd.com

Larry LShore

Stewart's blog doesn't go into details about the 78 RPM issue, so allow me to expand on his post.  Since most people are playing 33/45 RPM records and 78 requires a different cartridge, the 78 RPM mode is not enabled when the Falcon PSU ships from the factory (the RoadRunner tach works from 28 RPM to 100 RPM with no issues).  The Falcon PSU ships with 78 RPM mode in firmware, and installing a solder jumper on the PCB makes it visible to the operator:  The display will rotate between 33->45->78->33 when changing speeds.  The tempo adjustment range is extended for 78 RPM, as many of these records are notoriously off speed.  For 33/45 mode, tempo adjust is ±1.0 RPM in 0.1 RPM steps; in 78 mode, it is ±6.0 RPM in .1 RPM steps.

The other issue with 78 RPM is that it requires a larger 50Hz standard pulley and the belt to be installed on the large spindle.  This was unavoidable due to the physics involved:  Using a 60Hz pulley large spindle required an output frequency of 104hz, which the Falcon can do with no problem, but the phase cap would be too large and the motor would neither start or continue spinning even if given manual assistance.  Even on a dual phase output version, where the PSU can control the phase between windings at exactly 90°, the motor would not run reliably and there is absolutely no torque.  The only feasible way to do 78 was to change pulleys.  The upside is, the pulley is a standard product for most tables not a custom one as used with Pro-Ject's Speed Box, and unlike the Pro-Ject, the Falcon display will show 33-45-78 and you still have access to all 3 speeds.  With the Pro-Ject, 45 RPM becomes 78 and 33 RPM becomes 58 RPM, so you lose both 33 and 45 capability when you go 78.

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
Got one of these for HW-19 MK IV last weekend and it works like a charm.
Love the fact that I can finally monitor the speed of the platter.  :thumb:
Now all I need to do is find me a 50Hz pulley so that I can play some of the 78's that's came into my collection.