Query - Job 225 and Horn Speakers

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Query - Job 225 and Horn Speakers
« on: 29 Aug 2014, 01:41 pm »
Anybody out there have an informed view on pairing the Job 225 amp with horn speakers?
Any input much appreciated.
Cheers,
Morten

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Query - Job 225 and Horn Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2014, 04:31 pm »
Morten - I'm doing something similar in that I have horns and high powered solid state class d amplification. I do not have Job 225 however. What is your concern?
Presently I am using a Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 integrated. Also have used Ncore NC400. Both are great.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2014, 05:38 pm »
What is your concern?

I've no specific concern per se. I get asked often about recommended amps and speakers with our preamps. Many of our customers have Job 225's and rave about them. More recently I've been asked if they pair well with horn speakers. I just don't know. Hence the query.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2014, 06:40 pm »
Based on reviews I've read, the Job can sound somewhat dry. So I can understand the possible concern as some horn speakers already sound very crisp, energetic, forward and somewhat dry......which is why people often pair a warmer, rounder, sounding amp (if not tubes) with horns. The synergy is great. I don't believe I've read anywhere that the Job has any tubelike qualities, so I'd caution against the Job with horns.....but, this is just conjecture. Typically, the power from an amp like the Job isn't necessary with horns either. So if the speakers are an easy load, I'd go with something more natural sounding, yet detailed and musical, like a used Pass Labs (maybe Aleph series) or something from First Watt, if not tubes in the 30-50 Class A watt range.

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2014, 06:49 pm »
Don't have time to look it up, but IIRC the Job has a really high gain compared to most amps. That could be a problem too for very efficient speakers. 

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2014, 07:18 pm »
I have a 225 on 104db eff horns and it is dead quite and well as 97db eff. speakers same results.  A friend of mine on the east coast had three of them tri-amping Avant-garde horns, and they were dead quite.  He has since gone to OB speakers from Clayton Shaw no problems what so ever.  :thumb: