Best Video Format?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Best Video Format?
« on: 29 Nov 2015, 12:26 pm »
Hi video guys,
What is the video extension that has more quality to download from YT?
I want the best quality possible, free disk space is not a prob.
Some extensions my video downloader can manage:
MPEG4, AVI, 3GP, 3G2, XVID, MP4, MP3, MP2, WMA, WMV, GIF, FLAC, WAV, PSP, MPG, VOB, OGG, MOV

Thanks

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: Best Video Format?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2015, 05:51 pm »
Youtube supports

MOV
.MPEG4
MP4
.AVI
.WMV
.MPEGPS
.FLV
3GPP
WebM

If you're downloading content, I believe you are stuck with whatever the creator selected in terms of quality. You can save the file to something else, but you cannot encode better quality. One source online suggests that AVI offers the best quality for content creators, but I imagine there are a range of opinions on this topic.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2015, 09:12 pm »
Thanks Atlplasma :thumb:
Unfortunately my video pgm(VDownloader free share) is no more working, it suggest upgrade to Plus version at a cost.
Any suggestion on a free small simple pgm to download videos?

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2015, 09:18 pm »
I go for the biggest MPEG file. I find the FLV plays poorly by comparison.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2015, 11:00 pm »
Check out the reviews on Cnet.com. Free YouTube Downloader looks pretty good. I am not a video downloader, so I can't offer a recommendation.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2015, 11:26 pm »
Thankyou :thumb:

GentleBender

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2015, 01:55 pm »
Be careful downloading items from sites like cnet and download.com. Those sites along with many others are full of Trojans and spyware that can cause many problems. Make sure your virus protection is up to date before doing anything. I haven't done it in quite some time, but I used to use a browser add-on for Firefox that would easily snag the video or audio files. You shouldn't need any program, just a browser add-on. Make sure you research the add-on before you install any downloaded item to protect your privacy and computer. Just google the add-on(s) you are interested in to find out if they have caused others problems.  BTW FLV is not a good format for video, I stick with MPEG.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2015, 02:42 pm »
Good advice from GentleBender. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. I checked my application list and found Wondershare VideoConverter Ultimate, which I now recall using to transcode some large MOV files into smaller MPEG4 files for a few projects last year. The free version doesn't seem to offer much functionality according to the App Store reviews. The Ultimate version I purchased cost $49.99 (US).