Absolute best sounding floorstanding Omega speaker?

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
Hi,

I've been looking over the website and this forum. It's really nice to see all the great comments, speakers and systems.

I've been looking at the SUPER ALNICO HIGH OUTPUT XRS speakers and wonder if anyone has a pair and can tell me how you like them.

Also, thoughts on Omega's best sounding floor-stander? 

I have a couple of low powered amps in need of a home.

Thanks!

Joe

doggie

Re: Absolute best sounding floorstanding Omega speaker?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2017, 02:21 pm »
I have a pair of Super Alnico High Output XRS and before those the Super Alnico XRS single driver speakers. I believe that Louis considers both to be or have been his statement speaker.

I am very happy with my HO's. They have the clarity and delicacy of the older single driver model with the added ability to now play complex orchestral music at a satisfying volume.

Hi,

I've been looking over the website and this forum. It's really nice to see all the great comments, speakers and systems.

I've been looking at the SUPER ALNICO HIGH OUTPUT XRS speakers and wonder if anyone has a pair and can tell me how you like them.

Also, thoughts on Omega's best sounding floor-stander? 

I have a couple of low powered amps in need of a home.

Thanks!

Joe

jorgen

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2017, 04:07 pm »
While my cabinets are smaller, I also have a pair of floorstanders with HO Alnico drivers and they are simply said a very very good set of speakers. I chose the super 7 cabinets because of the physical size and the need to make my wife feel heard in terms of interior. I realise I might loose some in the bottom end compared to to larger ones. I have been using a 32 liter floorstanders from Omega up until now and loved those, both in looks and sound and I will not part with. I have also heard the standard 3 X-ray and those speakers are definitely punshing above their weight. If you want the best Louis can do, go for the large HO floorstanders.

roscoe65

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2017, 08:19 pm »
While my cabinets are smaller, I also have a pair of floorstanders with HO Alnico drivers and they are simply said a very very good set of speakers. I chose the super 7 cabinets because of the physical size and the need to make my wife feel heard in terms of interior. I realise I might loose some in the bottom end compared to to larger ones. I have been using a 32 liter floorstanders from Omega up until now and loved those, both in looks and sound and I will not part with. I have also heard the standard 3 X-ray and those speakers are definitely punshing above their weight. If you want the best Louis can do, go for the large HO floorstanders.

Jorgen,

How would you compare your 32 liter floor standers (Alnico 7?) with your new 25 liter Alnico HO speakers?

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2017, 08:35 pm »
Well,  a bit off topic but that new RS8 floorstander sure looks interesting.  FWIW, I've got a pair of floorstanding RS5 "Omni's" and they are superb. Now the RS8 comes along.....damn, it never ends.  :(

jorgen

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2017, 10:08 pm »
No it never really ends...

I can try to give a few pointers but you have to excuse my broken English.
First I have to say that my system has changed completely. I used my older floorstanders with the Decware MiniTori, a 4 w/c pentode amp. This new setup has the Decware Zen mono amps (2.7 watts/channel) which are pretty different amps . In terms of source I haven't been able to use my phono amp because of one tube with issues, a ringing noise, and my DAC is not top notch. So a fair comparison isn't completely possible. Also, both amps and speakers are so new that they still evolving, almost from day to day.

These HO speakers are a equipped with better drivers, they are faster and more detailed than the ones I was used to, probably in every aspect. Muscians are more present in the room, and seems closer to my listening position. Because of the second driver there is more detail and texture especially in the mid bass area. I'm not a bassjunkie, and I get more bass with the HO, but I wonder if the larger cabinet I have with the 7" Alnico makes the difference smaller than what could be. I really enjoy the added punch they present. Again, the dustcap driver have less than 40 hours of use and will develop plenty over the next 100-200 hours. So I might find bigger differences when they mature.
Instruments are easier to tell from another, and the way a sound stays in the room, from a guitar string or an accord in a piano is better with this new speakers. I believe I have more headroom with these speakers, haven't pushed the amps to clipping yet, but in my mind if you want a hairdryer volume you have gone the wrong way a low power SET amp and FR drivers. They play loud enough for most occasions, and then some.
I seem to find both a wider and deeper soundstage, maybe because of amps and also because of the speakers. The detail in background are very in background but still it is easier to follow just what goes on there. 

I have to say though that both speakers are very very good. Because of circumstances I got an opportunity to try this new solution and there is no doubt this is a better speaker, but I would be very happy with the original speaker I have had for 3 years or so, but no going back now..

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2017, 11:31 pm »
Thank you so much everyone. Please continue, on or off topic does not matter. I appreciate your opinions, experiences and input.

roscoe65

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2017, 12:07 am »
The "best sounding" Omega floorstander does not have a single answer.  I do not have any floor standers but do own three Omega standmounts that use the RS5 driver and the Alnico driver.  I do not own speakers based on the RS7 or newer RS8 drivers. 

We normally intuit that as we go up the scale in expense with Omega's we would also go up in musical quality.  However, with Omega speakers we have to accept that the speakers are not only more expensive, they are different.  This difference as one goes "up" they chain may suit some listeners more than others.  The Alnico driver is a more expensive one and should be "better", but there are some things (speed, HF response) that are done better by the RS5 driver - the cheapest on in Louis' stable.  It is really a matter of personal taste and system matching.

In a single driver configuration, the larger Alnico driver has a much fuller upper bass and a very natural sound, but has a top end that suffers when compared to the RS5 driver.  It is not as fast, and the whizzer cone can exhibit some tizziness under some circumstances.  The RS5 is a bit dryer, in my opinion but is less directional.  It certainly does not sound like a 4" driver.

Louis has hinted at some advantage to smaller cabinets for the same drivers, trading off bass extension for speed and/or punchiness.  I personally like monitors for a number of reasons:  the are easier to move and store and they tend to work better in smaller spaces.  Disadvantages include less deep bass response and the need to buy quality stands. 

seikosha

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2017, 01:39 am »
As someone who owns RS5 based (xrs and desktop) and Alnicos (monitor) systems, I agree 100% with roscoe65.

JB2386

Re: Absolute best sounding floorstanding Omega speake
« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2017, 02:06 am »
tdinut,

I just traded in Super Alnico Monitors last week for the HO version and am in the process of breaking them in as quickly as I can.  The Super Alnico Monitors were just coming into their own when I drove them down to Louis to pick up the HO version.  I can tell you as of last Wednesday Louis has a used pair of Walnut Super Alnicos that are broken in nicely and sweet sounding, call or email him to see if he still has them!!!  I promise you, you won't be disappointed.  I left his shop with new HO monitors in Cherry wondering if I did the right thing because the SAM's were performing flawlessly.  The SAM's image like crazy and are very life like. I'm not good at explaining what I'm hearing but you can follow any instrument you want or just relax and listen to great sounding music provided the piece was well recorded.  The only reason I traded in and went with the HO's is I changed my listening space to a much bigger room (19x27) and felt I needed more output without changing my 2 watt Decware Zen amp out.  Louis indicated that these HO monitors will give me what I had with the SAM's but just more of it, I have no doubt once they're broken in they will be awesome.  I have already noticed (after 25 hours) that they are starting to come out of their shell and blossom.  I would also agree with Jorgen that there's more and better bass and mid bass, the HO's do play louder with the volume in the same position as with the SAM's.  Not sure if you have your heart set on floorstanders but you can't go wrong with Louis' monitors on Skylan stands filled with uncooked rice  :D.  Call Louis and chat with him, he won't steer you wrong.  I hope to give a review of these HO's once they're completely broken in. 

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2017, 02:29 pm »
Actually, I have not ruled out monitor/bookshelf size Omegas. My primary desire is for the Alnico driver(s). I've had speakers in the past with Alnico drivers and, for me, they add something special to the mix. I love what Alnico does for the music.

I'll have to see if Louis is willing to demo anything before I make a choice.

nature boy

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2017, 02:57 pm »
Actually, I have not ruled out monitor/bookshelf size Omegas. My primary desire is for the Alnico driver(s). I've had speakers in the past with Alnico drivers and, for me, they add something special to the mix. I love what Alnico does for the music.

I'll have to see if Louis is willing to demo anything before I make a choice.

Keep in mind Louis is a one man show with speakers orders taking 8-10 weeks.  You might do better to post a request to AC members in your area for a listen to their speakers.  If you're in the Greater Philadelphia - Delaware area PM me to make arrangements.  I have the Super Alnico HO floorstanders.  Happy to do so.

NB

roscoe65

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2017, 03:11 pm »
There is a pair of SAM's on the marketplace for a good price right now (not mine).  If you tried them and wanted to upgrade later your risk is minimal.  Alternatively, you can take Louis up on his home trial.

The SAM is a 35 liter standmount.  There are a lot of smaller floorstanders with less volume.

Full disclosure:  I own a pair of SAM's in Zebrawood along with a pair of Skylan 20" stands.  Together they currently retail for about $2,700 or so.  They produce good but not great bass in my room (15' x 22' with vaulted ceiling).  The recent release of production 1.5 way speakers makes me want to upgrade but I can't justify spending $3,800 (minus maybe the $1,500 or so in resale on my current speakers and stands) on new speakers and stands to get the incremental improvement.  However, Louis has indicated that my current speakers can be retrofit with an additional driver, though I would lose the ability to use the current grill.  Since the SAM volume is only about 10% smaller than the new Alnico HO Monitor I would not expect to see a dramatic difference in performance.

For me part of the appeal of Omega speakers has been a lack of obsolescence.  I own a pair of original Super 3 Monitors that originally came with a pair of Fostex drivers.  The cabinets are still if great shape despite being moved around a lot, with no dents or appreciable damage to the veneer.  I have retrofit them with RS5 drivers and they compete with Louis' current offerings, albeit in a different presentation.  I don't have to worry that I spend a lot of money (for me) on speakers only to have something else come along that is so much better that mine are worth very little in resale.  Both the other versions of my Omega speakers - SAM's and Super 3U's - can be retrofit as 1.5 way speakers if I wish and [should] perform comparably with Louis' current models.

It relieves some worry about buyer's remorse when I can take a 10-15 year old speaker and still get similar performance as current models.  It harkens back to the old days of American and British Audio wherein products were supported throughout their lives.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2017, 03:15 pm »

Thank you NB,

I am in NY on Long Island. Might be fun to make a trip. Thank you so much for the offer. I'll have to pick Loius' brain and see what he recommends.

Keep in mind Louis is a one man show with speakers orders taking 8-10 weeks.  You might do better to post a request to AC members in your area for a listen to their speakers.  If you're in the Greater Philadelphia - Delaware area PM me to make arrangements.  I have the Super Alnico HO floorstanders.  Happy to do so.

NB

roscoe65

« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2017, 03:19 pm »
Thank you NB,

I am in NY on Long Island. Might be fun to make a trip. Thank you so much for the offer. I'll have to pick Loius' brain and see what he recommends.

I'm on Long Island as well, but my systems are in pieces at the moment.  I may be able to arrange a home audition given some time.

R

nature boy

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2017, 04:54 pm »
Thank you NB,

Absolutely, Louis is the best source of info on his speakers (Canada Rob as well). Louis enjoys talking with prospective customers, answering questions and providing recommendations based on your listening room, equipment and musical preferences.  No BS, he answers his phone and returns calls pretty quickly if busy.  So good luck with your hunt.

NB

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #17 on: 6 Mar 2017, 09:19 pm »