Super 3-1.5 High Output on the truck

roscoe65

Re: Super 3-1.5 High Output on the truck
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2017, 06:46 pm »
Looking good.  You'll have to keep us up to date as they break in.  I'm particularly interested in the bass performance with the second driver.

sabocat

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2017, 07:38 pm »
Looking good.  You'll have to keep us up to date as they break in.  I'm particularly interested in the bass performance with the second driver.

Only on the second hour. Listening to some Steely Dan. Everything sounds extremely well-balanced from the highs to the lows. I'm  hearing details I've never heard before. Everything is extremely detailed, and there is already ample bass.  I'm a very happy camper.

sabocat

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jan 2017, 09:09 pm »
OK I switched from DAC to vinyl. Listening to Dexter Gordon Tangerine. It's just a seamless, organic whole. In my small room there is more than enough bass. My system will not need a subwoofer at all.

OzarkTom

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2017, 01:03 am »
OK I switched from DAC to vinyl. Listening to Dexter Gordon Tangerine. It's just a seamless, organic whole. In my small room there is more than enough bass. My system will not need a subwoofer at all.

Hop on that itube2 tour. I would be very interested in how it sounds with your new Omegas. :thumb:

sabocat

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:29 am »
I won't be purchasing any new gear for a while. I have it hooked up to a CJ PV-15, tube line stage and tube phono stage. What I am really interested in hearing are the omegas with the microzotl preamp. Will get around to that soon.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2017, 04:24 pm »
I won't be purchasing any new gear for a while. I have it hooked up to a CJ PV-15, tube line stage and tube phono stage. What I am really interested in hearing are the omegas with the microzotl preamp. Will get around to that soon.

Nice set up! Louis is building me the HO floor standers. What speakers were you using before for comparison purposes?

sabocat

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:01 pm »
I've really only done serious listening with headphones, but I have used some definitive technology sm45's for movies and such.

sabocat

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:22 pm »
6 hours or so of play so far. Currently spinning "Idle Moments", Grant Green with Joe Henderson and Bob Cranshaw on Vibes. I've never heard the sax work of Henderson sounding so palpable. Amazing stuff. I imagine pretty much any CJ tube gear would go well with Omegas. I can also say that the Omegas heighten the holographic qualities of the JWN amp.

sabocat

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jan 2017, 09:29 pm »
Notes on bass. I'm listening to a Coltrane, Wilbur Harden reissue on Savoy.  On a song titled "Rhodomagnetics #1, there is a lengthy walking bass solo. Turning up the volume a bit, I notice, not only that it is tight and well-defined, I hear textured tones of bass that I had not previously heard on upright bass at all. The changes on bass are also evident even during other solos such as piano and sax. This makes for a more satisfying listening experience than simply being walloped with a full body blow of sub-bass, IMO.

sabocat

« Reply #29 on: 1 Feb 2017, 09:59 pm »
It really is interesting to hear the character of the speakers shift as they break-in. 12 hours or so now. Bass is beginning to open up. I can feel the bass on Paul Chambers' bow solo in "Bass Blues".  There is still more treble presence, but as the bass opens up and descends the upper register sounds more natural. I also played a few sides of Brian Eno's Lux, a lush ambient tone poem with plenty of decay as the notes sounded and faded. Still a bit more treble energy, but the lower midrange and bass notes were almost as authoritative. I expect it will balance out after a few more weeks.

Louis O

« Reply #30 on: 4 Feb 2017, 03:47 pm »
Hi sabocat,

Thanks for your post and pictures. It was great working with you and so happy you are getting great sound out of your system.
The break in is important and the balance will get better and better. I'm so happy with the 1.5 way format and your speakers are production model that will go along with the Super 3 High Output XRS (Floorstanding Version).

The new EKO Walnut is very popular too.

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. I do have a lot of news and also the pricing info for the new models as well as the RS8's.
I will be posting pictures as well.

Thanks again,
Louis

roscoe65

« Reply #31 on: 4 Feb 2017, 03:59 pm »
Welcome back Louis!

The 1.5 way speakers have been generating a lot of excitement lately.  I know you have been doing iterations of the 1.5 way for a while on a custom basis, but the new production version seem to be picking up steam.

As my needs evolve, I'm finding this option may be more suited for my needs.  I particularly like the idea of preserving the HF response of your drivers while adding upper bass reinforcement, where a lot of musical information lives.

Louis O

« Reply #32 on: 4 Feb 2017, 04:13 pm »
Hi roscoe65,

Thanks and I have so much to share in the very near future.

You're right about the 1.5's and I have been getting great feedback about them. The customs helped me out a lot and with the great feedback I decided to go production. It's picking up steam and I realized quick that I had to order double the amount of drivers.

I agree with you and the 1.5's do add the upper bass that's so important in a very simple and synergistic way.

I'm still going to build some larger customs and the RS8 may find it's way into a 1.5 configuration.

Thanks again,
Louis

sabocat

« Reply #33 on: 4 Feb 2017, 04:38 pm »
Hey Louis, Glad to know I've been part of that production process! That's pretty cool.

This morning I tried running my Vista phono-1 into the line stage of the CJ, bypassing its phono tube stage. Great combo! Better bass and more extended highs. I've also noticed that as the speakers break in, I keep turning down the volume as they seem to be getting more efficient. This was even more evident after adding the vista pre. This is great news as it means I won't need to push the CJ to high volume, as its sound begins to compress if you push it too hard.

I've been waiting for the speakers to really break in before trying them with the microzotl preamp, but i will give that a shot soon.

OzarkTom

« Reply #34 on: 4 Feb 2017, 06:40 pm »

I've been waiting for the speakers to really break in before trying them with the microzotl preamp, but i will give that a shot soon.

You should be able to drive those speakers fairly loud with the 1 watt Microzotl. I know a couple of people here on AC would like to know your thoughts, with me, make that three.

sabocat

« Reply #35 on: 4 Feb 2017, 08:33 pm »
I'm not sure I'm set up to run it as an amp. I guess I could try it as an integrated amp, but I'm really more interested in how it will sound as a preamp running into my 6V6. I'm inclined to think that the Omegas will need a sweeter signal than that provided solely by the microzotl, but i will report back. I'm actually afraid it may sound so much better than the CJ as a preamp that I will have to sell the latter.

OzarkTom

« Reply #36 on: 4 Feb 2017, 08:38 pm »
I'm not sure I'm set up to run it as an amp. I guess I could try it as an integrated amp, but I'm really more interested in how it will sound as a preamp running into my 6V6. I'm inclined to think that the Omegas will need a sweeter signal than that provided solely by the microzotl, but i will report back. I'm actually afraid it may sound so much better than the CJ as a preamp that I will have to sell the latter.

:duh:
yes, run as integrated.

sabocat

« Reply #37 on: 4 Feb 2017, 08:57 pm »
Oh OK, lol.

sabocat

« Reply #38 on: 4 Feb 2017, 09:40 pm »
OK got it hooked up. It indeed plays pretty loud, but the upper register sounds lean, and a bit recessed, as I predicted. Bass sounds quite nice though.The speakers still need some run-in time to sound good with the microzotl. will try now as a preamp.

OzarkTom

« Reply #39 on: 4 Feb 2017, 09:58 pm »
OK got it hooked up. It indeed plays pretty loud, but the upper register sounds lean, and a bit recessed, as I predicted. Bass sounds quite nice though.The speakers still need some run-in time to sound good with the microzotl. will try now as a preamp.

Thanks! I would put at least 200 hours for burn in.