What LPs have you listened to recently?

jimdgoulding

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #7020 on: 20 Jun 2014, 11:59 pm »

Reference Recordings and Keith Johnson's The Firebird Suite and Song of The Nightingale.  One of these days, Laura, yer gonna find some classical music that you like.  This is big stuff.  Full orchestra.  I prefer side 2 and when you realize it was written in the 20's, it's mind blowing.  Side 1, Firebird, is more accessible for the novice, I imagine, and it's prettier.  Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances is another Johnson/Reference recording and not quite so challenging.  The front end of your room will turn into Minnesota Hall.

One I always play for guests but hard to find.  Something about those Scandinavian sound engineers.  Helping a new to vinyl guy set up his brand new TT tonite.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7021 on: 21 Jun 2014, 12:41 am »
I saw them- The Pretenders- on the first US tour for like two bucks, I think.  I love their first album.  Rarely do I get an album on which I like every song.  Their first is one of those happy exceptions.  Where do I get it, Lady of Vinyl?

Here ya go Jim

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/97329/Chrissie_Hynde-Stockholm-Vinyl_Record

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7022 on: 21 Jun 2014, 12:57 am »
Sam & Dave  ~  I Thank You

Atlantic

jimdgoulding

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #7024 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:02 pm »
NEO

After looking for this for 2 years I finally found it in New Orleans, a great album!

And Cornbread is also fine! :thumb:

Nice selections.

Gene

1964 Blue Note 
This was recorded before Sidewinder (a smash hit), but released a couple of years later.  Search for the New Land is one of Lee's most introspective albums.  Maybe it was Wayne Shorter influence.  There are a couple of long, modern, slower tempo tunes interspersed with the hard bop.  Great album with great players.
neo

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #7025 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:06 pm »
Porcupine Tree ‎– Voyage 34
Label: Kscope ‎– KSCOPE803
Format:2 × Vinyl, Limited Edition, Reissue, White, 180 Gram, Gatefold

The white vinyl is a little unnerving.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #7026 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:14 pm »

#376/500. I feel very fortunate to have acquired this record for my SD collection.

Doc

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7027 on: 26 Jun 2014, 02:46 pm »

Released 1986 Dragon Records  2LP stereo - Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb

There's another one on Dragon, Miles and Trane, recorded 7 months prior to this (black cover background).  This is a live recording by Swedish radio and a beautiful pressing by Dragon. 

Trane left the Miles band in '60. After that a number of different sax players played with the band.  The first was Sonny Stitt.  You can't help but compare the sax to Trane, especially on tunes like All Blues which was on Kind Of Blue LP.  Stitt certainly holds his own and brings on his free flowing bop style.  It's kind of refreshing and sometimes he sounds like Cannonball Adderly.  Stitt plays mostly alto, but he switches to tenor with good facility. 

Miles didn't settle on a new sax player until the entire band was reformed with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. 
Sonny Stitt was a great player.  On his death bed, Charlie Parker designated him Keeper of the Flame and he did that well. 
neo

Here's the one with Trane:

2 LP

Great records
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7028 on: 26 Jun 2014, 03:07 pm »

1974 SteepleChase  recorded in Copenhagen

Tete was one of the greatest pianists who ever lived.  Imagine the facility of Art Tatum and the feel of Oscar Peterson or McCoy Tyner. 
Niels Pedersen had chops to die for and with Tootie Heath made some fabulous music.  This record is exceptional.
neo 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7029 on: 26 Jun 2014, 03:12 pm »

Tangerine Dream:   Hyperborea    '83,  Virgin Records

Tangerine Dream:   Zeit    '72, Virgin Records, dbl LP

Tangerine Dream:  Cyclone     '78, Virgin Records

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7030 on: 29 Jun 2014, 11:00 am »

1983 Warner Bros

Bad ass Texas blues.  The (top) eliminator hot rod is a chopped '33 Ford coupe with a 350 Chevy V8 w/Z-28 hydraulic lifters.
neo

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7031 on: 6 Jul 2014, 04:18 pm »

20th Anniversary, 180g double album remastered by Doug Sax from the original analog masters

dminches

« Reply #7032 on: 6 Jul 2014, 11:53 pm »
Laura, my copy is on its way. I am really looking forward to this. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7033 on: 7 Jul 2014, 01:03 am »
Laura, my copy is on its way. I am really looking forward to this.

It is a great pressing, quiet, and the sound is really good. This should have been a double album 20 years ago. I'm gaining a lot of appreciation for Richard Wright's contributions to Pink Floyd. I have always liked this album even though the "critics" weren't complimentary when it came out. I think it has stood the test of time. Some great songs on the record--Marooned; High Hopes; Great Day for Freedom; Coming Back to Life. I think you will really enjoy it.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7034 on: 12 Jul 2014, 12:19 pm »

1988 Portrait (CBS)

Marc Johnson
Dave Weckl
Mongo Santamaria
On 2 cuts Lincoln Goines and Joel Rosenblatt are bass and drums

Nice record. He sounds a lot like Chic Corea and Dave Weckl makes it even more so.  This guy can play.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7035 on: 16 Jul 2014, 11:46 am »

1964 Atlantic

This was recorded in 1960 at the same session as "My Favorite Things" LP.  It includes the original recording of the tune "Equinox", a slow tempo 12 bar blues played in a straight ahead blues style and not a more complex bop style blues.   This tune evokes the spirituality Trane left as part of his legacy, much more so for me than the chant "A Love Supreme".  Perhaps you will feel differently about that.  Check it out.
neo

Guy 13

« Reply #7036 on: 16 Jul 2014, 12:30 pm »

Hi all.
For some time now, I have not listen to any LPs.
The reason:
I am waiting for my new PDR linear arm
and when it will be installed,
I will have to see if my Bellari VP-129 will still be an FM reciever
with plenty of background hum...
If that's the case, then I will have to buy a new phono stage.
During all that time, unfortunately no LPs listening.
Enjoy your LPs listening you luck guys.

Guy 13
No wonder I'm called Guy 13,
as in Friday 13th as in bad lucky...

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7037 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:59 pm »

1968 Verve

Bill Evans changed the way jazz piano is played by leaving out the bottom note of a chord for the bass player.  This is a solo piano album so you won't hear that on this one.  Evens was also a re-harmonizer substituting notes and changing chords and using unconventional modal patterns.  This is a nice album, it won a Grammy.

neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7038 on: 3 Aug 2014, 09:08 pm »

1966 Blue Note

Hank Mobley
Cedar Walton
Paul Chambers
Billy Higgins

This is a really nice album.  Although it was recorded in '66 it wasn't released until '84 when Michael Cuscuna found it in the vaults.  Look at that line-up.  It doesn't get any better.  The playing is effortless and Lee is at his melodic best.  It's not as exuberant, that is upbeat bugiloo as albums like Sidewinder or The Gigolo, it's satisfying in a different way.  It's named after one of the tracks written by Lee.   I guess you can tell I thoroughly enjoyed playing this LP again.   Highly recommended.
neo

rcag_ils

« Reply #7039 on: 3 Aug 2014, 10:12 pm »
What LPs have I listened to recently? None, been too busy. I just got the Neil Young "live at the cellar door", maybe I'll listen to it one of these day.