Stumbled upon this new speaker campaign on Kickstarter

Ric Schultz

Re: Stumbled upon this new speaker campaign on Kickstarter
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jul 2014, 08:43 am »
I like where he says "10 octaves from 600 to 6K"......OK...if you say so.   The woofer box looks like a Parts Express jobbie.  The planars are on a stick that is waving in the air....really good for transient response....not.  And yes, you would need to time align the woofers with the sticks.  However,  I bet they sound pretty darn nice.  Those planars are similar or the same as VMPS was using....very good.  I am sure he has very little money in the whole shebang....If he sold them direct for $2000 they would be a killer deal.....but at $10,000......you have got to be kidding.  The "production model" certainly looks better but still is not good value.  Check out GT Audio Works for a serious planar/woofer combo......no xover on mids....amplified woofs and at $6500.....way better deal.

sealkojac

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jul 2014, 11:47 am »
The OP registered four years ago and this is his first post on AC.  He must be the sales manager.  :)

The whole thing is just eye-brow raising, highly irritating and seemingly aimed at suckers.

Dave.

I am hardly a sales manager for this speaker. I just saw the campaign on kickstarter and thought it might be of interest to someone on this forum. Its obvious from the prototype that the guy doesn't have much money to work with. Yes it appears to be overpriced but if might be worth a listen if your local and he is willing to do a demo. I've backed a bunch of audio projects on kickstarter like the LH Geek and PSA Sprout. Not every project on KS is about backer ROI. Was thinking of backing this project https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/136425173/ece-202-203-electric-circuits-and-systems-ii-with?ref=nav_search too, thoughts?

jsm71

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:35 pm »
Potential buyers would be those who:

1) are looking to upgrade their speakers and like this proposed design.  Many may be in that category but as already pointed out this is not a new design.

2) are looking to do this at a bargain price.  Here's the problem.  I didn't hear what the projected production price might be or if a contributor saves anything.  Getting a T-shirt for $100 doesn't entice me.  Raising the money will be tough without a feel for this project's chances of success in the market.

As to the design approach my only quibble is having both woofers at the bottom.  That makes seamless integration a little tougher.  ML struggled with this for many years but their latest products are much better in this area.  The 600Hz crossover doesn't matter if the woofers are fast enough and the crossover is done right.  My JansZens cross over at 500Hz with twin 7" woofers and the integration is flawless, so it can be done. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 1 Aug 2014, 01:33 am »
He's selling 350 t shirts for $100 each. That is what this campaign is about...

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #24 on: 1 Aug 2014, 02:23 am »
Interesting dialogue
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2014, 01:40 pm by markajh »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #25 on: 1 Aug 2014, 03:30 am »
I guess its snarky and maybe bad kharma to crap on kickstarter & indiegogo campaigns, but of the few that have been raised here on AC, some of which are from higher profile co's, and now this one, I'm feeling less inclined to be generous because of things such as products that seem to never ship, or begging for handouts because of bad past business decisions, and now with this one, which seems ill conceived at best.   

I suppose people are free to make bad decisions and waste their money, but that doesn't mean we have to cheer them on.  "Crowd funding" in hi fi should be to reward operations that have something truly innovative, improved, or even something truly special and bespoke to make for folks. Instead it seems more and more a method to take in the gullible, greedy, or naive.  And if it gets worse, it's just going to discourage a funding mechanism that has real merit. I suppose at the end of the day the most important thing is to make our voice heard through our wallets, funding or not funding things based on their merit.   

Thats the end of my crowd funding "sermon"........

Guy 13

« Reply #26 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:24 am »
I guess its snarky and maybe bad kharma to crap on kickstarter & indiegogo campaigns, but of the few that have been raised here on AC, some of which are from higher profile co's, and now this one, I'm feeling less inclined to be generous because of things such as products that seem to never ship, or begging for handouts because of bad past business decisions, and now with this one, which seems ill conceived at best.   

I suppose people are free to make bad decisions and waste their money, but that doesn't mean we have to cheer them on.  "Crowd funding" in hi fi should be to reward operations that have something truly innovative, improved, or even something truly special and bespoke to make for folks. Instead it seems more and more a method to take in the gullible, greedy, or naive.  And if it gets worse, it's just going to discourage a funding mechanism that has real merit. I suppose at the end of the day the most important thing is to make our voice heard through our wallets, funding or not funding things based on their merit.   

Thats the end of my crowd funding "sermon"........

Hi jarcher.
I like your sermon,
you would have made a good and convincing priest. :thumb:

Guy 13

Audio Opes

« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:45 am »
Kickstarter is a very interesting way to launch into a dream.  Thank you for sharing.

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 1 Aug 2014, 09:07 am »
Hi there... Just logged in to see the debate on my project. If you have any questions - please feel free to contact me.  I see there is a lot of speculation in my absence.

Hi Mark, thanks for joining and welcome. If you could start a thread in our Industry Introductions area then we could all get a fresh start :)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=41.0

GT Audio Works

« Reply #29 on: 1 Aug 2014, 01:11 pm »
Hi Mark,
 Please understand that while some of these posts may come off as criticism,  I am sure most are offered with the intent of being constructive.
Putting ones passion out there naked for the world to see can be a daunting task, believe me,  I know. Consider every opinion, try to filter the good from the bad. Regard every situation as part of the learning curve, but don't waver from your dream.
Do as John R. suggests and keep the lines of communication open with a thread in the industry introductions circle.
                                                                                                                                                                      Best Regards,
                                                                                                                                                                      Greg

nickd

« Reply #30 on: 1 Aug 2014, 02:20 pm »
looks like a close copy of a BG Radia 420FS at twice the price. Not sure a lot of market research was done here. The question is, what do you do if a driver fails a year or two down the road? They do look a lot like the VMPS mids. I think it took the guys at VMPS quite a bit of effort and time to modify the bugs out of them. Perhaps these are a newer version?