Parts Express Subwoofers?

stlrman

Parts Express Subwoofers?
« on: 19 Feb 2018, 01:12 am »
Their prices seem to amazing to be true , and tons of  stellar reviews!
I'm looking at a 12 inch for about $120 shipped.
Anybody use these or heard these?

charmerci

Re: Parts Express Subwoofers?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2018, 08:25 am »
I used to own the SUB-1200. It is a step up from the adequate Polk subs - which a lot of people think they suck. Keep the output level low to add some low end to music and turn it up a bit for movies. For the price, it's hard to beat. I used it in a medium sized room, something like 20x25ft.

If you want something better for a little more, I have a Reaction Audio dual 12" sub for $250 (first $50 shipping on me) that will shake and rock your room for both music or movies (the heartbeat on DSOTM  :o ) that I can no longer use because I live in small places with thin walls and neighbors. (Though I won't be back from vacation until early March.)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:59 am »
As always you have to a lot of reading between the lines of reviews and consider the possible sources.  Customers of inexpensive subs are likely to be non-audiophiles, probably young gamers/action movie buffs, or inexperienced and proud papa sub owners that are making their first move up from an all in one box A/V system.  Is that who you want to take advice from? 

There's a reason why good subs cost more (aside from simple greed), it's called the laws of physics and it applies more directly to subs than any other audio component.  Deep bass means pushing lots of air and the bigger the room, the more air needs to be pushed.  And to have more than mushy one note boom-boom, the components and design must be of good nick.  The advent of class D amps and servo control have helped reduce cost/improve subwoofer quality in recent years, but quality drivers, well built cabinets, and shipping costs are givens. 

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2018, 05:01 pm »
I own two of their drivers and amps. Both in sealed enclosures. Both setups purchased in the past year. The first was a 10" long excursion woofer and 280 watt amp. The latest only a week old is a 12 with a Bash 300 watt amp. Both are used in my home theater. The 10" combo with the amp having built in bass boost is a killer setup. The 12 is very good also but more linear. Both drivers are well build IMO. You can go with much more powerful amps if you need it.

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2018, 06:46 pm »
I own two of their drivers and amps. Both in sealed enclosures. Both setups purchased in the past year. The first was a 10" long excursion woofer and 280 watt amp. The latest only a week old is a 12 with a Bash 300 watt amp. Both are used in my home theater. The 10" combo with the amp having built in bass boost is a killer setup. The 12 is very good also but more linear. Both drivers are well build IMO. You can go with much more powerful amps if you need it.

OP is referring to the SUB-1200 and the like.  They are inexpensive, off-the-shelf vented subs.  They are better than most “subwoofers” being sold by mainstream brands (often having one or two 5.25” or 6.5” drivers!).  However, they should be considered decent entry-level subwoofers with limited output.  120 watts only goes so far.

You could put together a very high quality DIY subwoofer using PE drivers and amps (with the advantage of being able to replace a broken amp if necessary).  All the components (amp, driver, cabinet flat pack, stuffing and hardware) will probably run about $500 or so, but will be a huge step up.

Of course, if you’re spending $500 on a subwoofer, the first place I would visit is Rythmik and pick up an L12 for $569.

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2018, 06:54 pm »
I used enclosures I already owned. They have a 12" subwoofer driver for about $120 which I assumed he meant.

Rusty Jefferson

Re: Parts Express Subwoofers?6
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2018, 07:58 pm »
I have a pair (though only using 1) of the Dayton Ultimax kits for my hi-fi, not home theater.  Very flexible set-up, though I just had an amp go out last week after about 12 months use. Has a 5 year warranty, so we'll see how it's handled. There is a link on the left side of the page here: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-with-spa1200dsp-amplifier-and-cabinet-package--300-7200 to an article written for AudioXpress magazine about the performance.

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2018, 08:38 pm »
OP is referring to the SUB-1200 and the like.  They are inexpensive, off-the-shelf vented subs.  They are better than most “subwoofers” being sold by mainstream brands (often having one or two 5.25” or 6.5” drivers!).  However, they should be considered decent entry-level subwoofers with limited output.  120 watts only goes so far.

You could put together a very high quality DIY subwoofer using PE drivers and amps (with the advantage of being able to replace a broken amp if necessary).  All the components (amp, driver, cabinet flat pack, stuffing and hardware) will probably run about $500 or so, but will be a huge step up.

Of course, if you’re spending $500 on a subwoofer, the first place I would visit is Rythmik and pick up an L12 for $569.

+1 

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2018, 09:29 pm »
Anyone heard the Emotiva BasX line of subwoofers? They start at $199 delivered.

https://emotiva.com/collections/subwoofers

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2018, 10:27 pm »
Thanks for all the info!!!
I’m looking for a 12 inch woofer or at least a 10 inch with a powerful amp!! But most likely a 12inch.
Budget is $275 or less.
Im pretty sure the HSU is only a ten inch , but it’s a big cabinet and a robust amp.
It would be nice if PE offered the 12 inch sub $129 for 120 amp , $159 for a 200 watt, $189 for a 300 watt Bash amp.
No diy for me !!

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:48 pm »
You are in the Pittsburgh area, no? Person is asking for $270...

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/d/svs-sb-12nsd-powered-subwoofer/6488384016.html

stlrman

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2018, 12:58 am »
Yup, In Pittsburgh. Thanks !!! Will research....

stlrman

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2018, 12:50 pm »
For some reason I never even saw this in Craigslist  Its SOLD anyways !!
Shit !!
He has a Klipsch sub12hg that he is asking $150, and this seems like a very solidly reviewed sub.
I am thinking of offering him $120. , which would seem to be a ton of sub for the money .
Again, this is for 90% home theater.
Thoughts?

neekomax

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2018, 03:12 pm »
The Monoprice 9723 is very well reviewed, as discussed elsewhere here:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9723&AID=11552490&PID=5513721&ref=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=11552490&utm_term=Wirecutter+Inc.-3512519

If you can find a Martin Logan Grotto (sealed 10" servo sub, 250 w RMS amp) used for under $450, grab that. Really great piece. Least expensive way to get a real servo subwoofer.

stlrman

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2018, 04:13 pm »
The Klipsch goes for $385 shipped from Amazon.
It’s got a way more powerful amp 300 Watts 650 dynamic compared to the 150 watt on the mono price.
I think I got a beast of a sub for $125!!!

srb

« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2018, 04:56 pm »
The Klipsch goes for $385 shipped from Amazon.

Just in case others are interested, the SUB-12HG is currently on sale at Frys.com for $229 w/ Free Shipping thru 2/24/18, but you obviously still got a good deal.

Edit:  If you're signed up for Frys Promo Code Deals you can get it with today's (2/20/2018) Promo Code for $197

JLM

« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2018, 01:45 pm »
Thanks for all the info!!!
I’m looking for a 12 inch woofer or at least a 10 inch with a powerful amp!! But most likely a 12inch.
Budget is $275 or less.
Im pretty sure the HSU is only a ten inch , but it’s a big cabinet and a robust amp.
It would be nice if PE offered the 12 inch sub $129 for 120 amp , $159 for a 200 watt, $189 for a 300 watt Bash amp.
No diy for me !!

Suggest shopping by performance (output specifications and sound quality) not what goes into the sub.  Driver size is secondary to performance and it's efficiency can easily make up the difference between a 100 watt and 400 watt amp (note that it takes ten times the power to double the loudness from the same driver/cabinet).  Most recommend ported subs be limited to home theater use, but sealed are recommended for both HT and audio uses.  Note also that all else being equal ported subs are inherently bigger than sealed subs, provide more boom but don't go as low.

stlrman

« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2018, 04:34 pm »
Thanks for the info JlM !! I may upgrade a few years from now .
I plan on trying to run two subs . This is only for home theater so I guess I’m looking for more boom than deep lows and tightness . Also this fits my wallet better right now .
I’ll keep y’all posted on my impressions. I should be up und running tonight.  Waiting on a Y adapter, so we will see what the Klipsch can do on her own . I have high hopes!

stlrman

« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2018, 12:45 am »
I really love the size of the sub !! Way more volume than the Polk!!
The port and s a few inches from a cabinet. Is this ok? I can pull it out a bit before movies. Or is it good being close to a border or wall for extra bass reinforcement.
This thing is a beast but It really appreciate its 35lb weight as I only mildly stressed out my back.

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2018, 02:12 am by stlrman »

roscoe65

« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2018, 01:17 am »
I really love the size of the sub !! Way more volume than the Polk!!
The port and s a few inches from a cabinet. Is this ok? I can pull it out a bit before movies. Or is it good being close to a border or wall for extra bass reinforcement.
This thing is a beast but It really appreciate its 35lb weight as I only mildly stressed

I have two Rythmik F8’s (their smallest model) that weigh 68 pounds each.  I think you’ll find that when you step up to the next level subwoofers not only get more expensive they get a lot heavier.