HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server

HAL

Re: HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server
« Reply #100 on: 2 Jan 2012, 01:35 am »
Have packed the MS-1 tops for Priority Mail shipment on Tuesday!

Hand delivered and installed two tops today.   :D

One more top hand delivery and all MS-1's are complete!   :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #101 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:07 am »
Four tops installed and three in transit to their owners.

Complete MS-1's are in stock if anyone is interested.  :D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #102 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:38 am »
Four tops installed and three in transit to their owners.

Complete MS-1's are in stock if anyone is interested.  :D

...and anyone looking for a server SHOULD be interested.  These are top flight units.   :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #103 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:48 am »
Thanks Scott!  :D

stu

« Reply #104 on: 7 Jan 2012, 03:50 am »
I installed my wooden top today. and it looks great!  Now the sound has a nice "woody" tone to it.  Just kidding.  Not that there is anything wrong with a nice "woody". :lol:
Mark

S Clark

« Reply #105 on: 7 Jan 2012, 04:38 am »
I did the same. Looks good, sounds great. Thanks, Rich.

HAL

« Reply #106 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:26 am »
Mark and Scott,
Glad you like the wood top for the MS-1. 

It is old world wood art and new world electronics at the same time.  Glad you like the goal!  :D

S Clark

« Reply #107 on: 12 Jan 2012, 08:29 pm »
Here is the MS-1 dressed up with oak and copper screening.  Looking good.

HAL

« Reply #108 on: 20 Jan 2012, 01:08 pm »
In 2012 there are some interesting things happening with the MS-1. 

One owner is going to try having a demo with his local audio club.

There is one more thing that might happen, but will have to wait on it to occur before I can talk about it.

Better living through Audio Nirvana!  :D

HAL

« Reply #109 on: 31 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm »
Hi everyone! Glad to be back!  Looks like some fun is about to happen.

Will be demoing the MS-1 and M2Tech hiFace EVO at PhilA's place on 8 Sept.   Will try and post some pictures from the event.

Phil A

« Reply #110 on: 31 Aug 2012, 12:57 pm »
Hi everyone! Glad to be back!  Looks like some fun is about to happen.

Will be demoing the MS-1 and M2Tech hiFace EVO at PhilA's place on 8 Sept.   Will try and post some pictures from the event.

Yes - can't wait to hear the server (as my next upgrade will be of that category at some point in the near future as soon as I have more music, including hi-rez digitized).  Make sure you don't take pictures of me so the camera does not break :lol:

HAL

« Reply #111 on: 1 Sep 2012, 08:53 pm »
Demo'd the MS-1 for Nick today at HAL central as part of a checkout session for his Perpetual Technologies P-1A and P-3A combo.   His P-1A was having problems.  Turns out his battery supply for the P-1A was having issues not holding charge.  Replaced his 12V-5AH AGM battery and it's back up and making music.   

Used the MS-1 and M2Tech Evo via coaxial S/PDIF connection to drive the P-T gear.   His P-1A has SOCS for his REF3 speakers, so he has that back working as well.

Always fun to get good old equipement back up and running!

Told him about Phil A's MAAC gathering next weekend, so he is going to look into it. 

HAL

« Reply #112 on: 4 Sep 2012, 04:50 pm »
The WASAPI component for Foobar2000 now has WASAPI Event driven I/O. This is the same interface as JRiver MC17 has for WASAPI. Have installed it and working correctly. Will give it some play time and make sure everything is stable. Sound quality so far is very good.

With the MS-1 connected to the internet, open the Library->Configure->Compon​ents tab in Foobar2000. Click the Get Updates tab at the bottom right of the window. A list of updates will appear. You only want to update the WASAPI component.   Uncheck all but the WASAPI 3.0 update box that appears in the next screen. Now click on Apply. Foobar2000 will then ask to restart. Say Yes. The updated WASAPI 3.0 version should now be in the Components box and ready to use.

Next go into Library->Configure->Output​s tab and select the WASAPI (event) M2Tech hiFace output device from the Device pull down menu. This is the new output style. The old style WASAPI (push) style interface is there as well for comparison. You should be ready to try it out at this point with the DAC.

HAL

« Reply #113 on: 4 Sep 2012, 06:25 pm »
Have updated the MS-1 going to Phil A's place for the demo on 8 September with the new WASAPI Event driven output for the M2Tech Evo USB interface. 

This should be a fun time! :)

stu

« Reply #114 on: 5 Sep 2012, 12:00 am »
This morning I downloaded wasapi-event using Rich's instructions, then I spent a few hours listening and comparing it to the original wasapi.  I found the wasapi-event to be a nice improvement to the sound quality of my MS-1 server.  The sound had more clarity and detail without being harsh at all.  I would recommend that anyone using Foobar should download the wasapi-event upgrade and try it in their system.  It is worth the effort for sure.
Mark

HAL

« Reply #115 on: 6 Sep 2012, 11:58 pm »
Mark,
Glad you are liking the upgrade to the software.  It is really working nicely here as well.

A reminder for folks in the MAAC area about Phil A's gathering this Saturday.  Hope to see folks there!

ratso

« Reply #116 on: 7 Sep 2012, 02:25 am »
two quick questions hal. the ion specs seem to say it will support full hd (1080p) but you list it as only 1080i? and any problems storing/playback of music from a NAS?

HAL

« Reply #117 on: 7 Sep 2012, 02:43 am »
At the time it was listed for the ION processor, they only stated 1080i.  I have used it for Blu-Ray playback with Cyberlink PoweDVD12 Ultra at home and do 1080p via HDMI. 

I do not store video, but no problems with sites like YouTube for 1080p HD streaming playback.

Does that help?

ratso

« Reply #118 on: 7 Sep 2012, 04:24 pm »
yep! and NAS connectivity, no problems i would assume? it's an interesting box for sure, i just recently got a mac mini that i use as a HTPC but i find mac's overall to be quite a PITA for various reasons. i have just spent weeks converting thousands of flac's to apple lossless for instance.

HAL

« Reply #119 on: 7 Sep 2012, 06:01 pm »
I have only used the MS-1 with 3GB eSATA attached external storage.  Usually a 1TB 2.5" in an eSATA/USB2 chassis with external supply.  It is part of the home network via WiFi, so should be able to remote access the audio data from it if shared. 

It also has remote access to Foobar2000 via the network for remote operation from a web browser like IE9 on another PC.