Working on the base for the Wedgie.

Danny Richie

Working on the base for the Wedgie.
« on: 19 Jun 2015, 08:51 pm »
I know I will likely deem it just as the Wedge, but the Wedgie is still fine for now.

I have been constantly distracted from working on these and finally had to time and sunny skies that allowed me to get on them again. Sorry for all the delays guys.

Here are a few pics of the base cabinets in rough form. These are larger in diameter than the upper Wedgie section by a 1/2" all around. I will round the top edges to allow it to blend to the upper Wedgie section that will sit on top. These will also get a base under them that can be just about any shape the customer wants them to be. Floor spikes will be fitting to the base as well.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Working on the base for the Wedgie.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2015, 10:28 pm »
These look nice. I am interested to find out how they sound. They look a lot like the two driver version that ended up performing more like a ported than open baffle design.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2015, 01:51 am »
Maybe you explained this in the   "best speaker stands"  thread and I missed it, or maybe I'm  just missing an obvious concept here not sure  :scratch:   How come the  waves off each  "side" don't cancel in the front of a U frame ?

jay

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2015, 02:20 am »
Could you put another wedge shape pointed backwards in the front to shift compression into a higher frequency than they're outputting? They're already going to have a tendency to load a corner, right? I'd be worried about a node from compression if it were to happen just right.

But then again, I don't know much about speakers :thumb: maybe I just wanted to have a bright idea.

What size woofer are they for?

Ultralight

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2015, 02:30 am »
I believe 8" woofers.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2015, 02:43 am »
These are intended to be an option to a 3x8 servo H-Frame that look better with the Wedge than a blocky H-Frame. 

They have the looks. If they have that open baffle sound and sound as good or better than an H-Frame I'll be building a couple pair in very short order. One for someone I'm building a pair of Wedges for and one to go under my Wedges. 

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2015, 04:23 am »
Maybe you explained this in the   "best speaker stands"  thread and I missed it, or maybe I'm  just missing an obvious concept here not sure  :scratch:   How come the  waves off each  "side" don't cancel in the front of a U frame ?

jay

Because it isn't open to the front.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2015, 04:27 am »
Could you put another wedge shape pointed backwards in the front to shift compression into a higher frequency than they're outputting?

No.

They're already going to have a tendency to load a corner, right?

Nope.

I'd be worried about a node from compression if it were to happen just right.

It is the same as a U shaped frame with the woofers on the front.

8's.

Erpeder

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2015, 07:47 am »
Nice to see Danny. Iàm in the beginning to make this design to the 12" servos. I am waiting for my woodvorker to saw the sides and the front.   

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2015, 02:24 pm »
Danny,

Any update on how these are sounding?

Mike

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2015, 01:34 am »
Danny,

You must have met my wife at some point. I imagine the conversation going on about how great the Double 12" H-frames at Jay's house sounded, but she just couldn't imagine placing them in our darling family room. (darling = esthetically pleasing to her eyes). After all, esthetics are so much more important than sound quality.

Geez. This sounds familiar.  :duh:

I'm sure you wandered away from that conversation with an idea forming in your mind on how to alter the shape of the 12s or even the triple 8s in such a way that the Melodies of the world will nod with approval when their loving husbands present them with new pieces of furniture that must be placed here and here.

I'm very interested in these. Shucks, I was interested in the old one, too. It's just this one is more attractive. I hope its design proves to sound as good (nearly as good works, too) as MLundy's triple 8s.

I very much look forward to their completion and people's impressions.

Michael

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:07 am »
I'll have them completed shortly.

nrenter

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2015, 02:30 am »
I'm imagining a tweaked, inverted "L" shaped "Skinny 6" setting in-front / on-top of these speakers (maybe 6' in depth in front, but extending to the back of the Wedge sub module) for a complete full-range option. My mind's eye sees it not reaching all the way to the floor, and the top placing the upper LGK at ear level. Modular (removable), of course, so the user could experiment with other options as Danny creates them (Wedgies, or other).

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2015, 03:25 am »
Danny,

You must have met my wife at some point. I imagine the conversation going on about how great the Double 12" H-frames at Jay's house sounded, but she just couldn't imagine placing them in our darling family room. (darling = esthetically pleasing to her eyes). After all, esthetics are so much more important than sound quality.

Oh Melody,  I thoght we had you convinced :sad:

Hopefully this new design will do it for both of you  !!

jay

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2015, 05:04 pm »
 :rotflmao:

Hiya, Jay.

The unheard of has happened.....Melody has given me her blessing to place my 2-channel system in the living room now that we finally sold our piano (which sat in the living room for years with no one to play it!!). I'm in the process of dismantling my 2-channel system and learning the best positions to place my speakers. If only we weren't leaving for Taiwan in two months, I'd get myself a pair of OB subs for the room now. [It doesn't make sense to buy them until after we return.]

How's your system upgrading coming along?

Michael

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2015, 07:59 pm »
I'm assuming Melody loved the bass she heard  so much  she  insisted on selling that piano  so you guys could fit some H-frames in there .... right  :thumb:

A little delay in the upgrade, should happen soon

jay

Erpeder

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jul 2015, 11:40 am »
Have just sideplaced the 12" in this U-baffel design, it is only a test baffle but to of them and listen to music. The drivers need more power from the amps and therfore going x-max very issey, okay I haven`t done nothing with my x-over (digital) to the the midrange. As I can hear there are null or close in the front and rear but lots of bass in the sides were the drivers are placed. I dont know maby I have wired the drivers wrong. I have wired  them in the same way I done in H-baffel. both drivers are going out, is that right?

Thanks     

jparkhur

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2015, 01:11 pm »
Have just sideplaced the 12" in this U-baffel design, it is only a test baffle but to of them and listen to music. The drivers need more power from the amps and therfore going x-max very issey, okay I haven`t done nothing with my x-over (digital) to the the midrange. As I can hear there are null or close in the front and rear but lots of bass in the sides were the drivers are placed. I dont know maby I have wired the drivers wrong. I have wired  them in the same way I done in H-baffel. both drivers are going out, is that right?

Typically if you are hearing x max the series wired servo controller is not connected correctly.  Check your connections.  I have had this happen to me before.  Also check phase and put it at 0 for now and turn gain on amp up to halfway to start. 

Let us know

Thanks     

Erpeder

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jul 2015, 04:15 pm »

I don`t think the servo is connected wrong way. If you do it wrong there will come some ugly sound, I get that sound with one of the speakers. But what about the connection of the driver coil push push is that right, as I write before both drivers push the air out at the same time.

Thanks

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jul 2015, 08:23 pm »
I am not 100% sure on this but I believe in a U baffle, everything is connected in phase,  driver coils in  parallel, servo coils in series.  Was the  amp  (A370 I'm assuming) originally setup  for OB H-frames , ie  it has the  shelving circuit ?   Possibly a similar issue to what Danny enountered when he did those first  U - frmes for the wedgies/ookshelfs when he needed to remve the  shelving cirucit  ?

jay