Problem with a new (to me) Candela

AlTran

Re: Problem with a new (to me) Candela
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:21 pm »
Kyndcookie, hi Shawn, I would suggest you give the Tempest a try. I understand the Candela didn't work out too well with all the troubles you went through. I own both Candela & Tempest, they do sound very similar in terms of musicality. The Tempest has a slight bit better slamming bass, mid is not as smooth as Candela. That is the main reason why I own both of them. Also I find 1 great advantage of the Tempest is that its Phono section is definitely 1 of the best built in I've heard. Of course the Suspiro Se 2 chassis version is better, is that right AlexG? hahaha. 

charmerci

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:27 pm »
I maybe a little late - but offer to send it back to Klaus instead of returning it so that the pre-amp will be fixed properly, instead of being "out there" the next guy to deal with.

kyndcookie

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2016, 07:52 pm »
I maybe a little late - but offer to send it back to Klaus instead of returning it so that the pre-amp will be fixed properly, instead of being "out there" the next guy to deal with.

Well, it is indeed a bit too late. I will say that returning it would not have been an option as it is not covered by the warranty due to the modifications.

kyndcookie

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2016, 07:56 pm »
Kyndcookie, hi Shawn, I would suggest you give the Tempest a try. I understand the Candela didn't work out too well with all the troubles you went through. I own both Candela & Tempest, they do sound very similar in terms of musicality. The Tempest has a slight bit better slamming bass, mid is not as smooth as Candela. That is the main reason why I own both of them. Also I find 1 great advantage of the Tempest is that its Phono section is definitely 1 of the best built in I've heard. Of course the Suspiro Se 2 chassis version is better, is that right AlexG? hahaha.

Thanks for the insight. A phono preamp isn't a plus for me as I already use a Sutherland PH3D, which is battery operated and absolutely silent and lovely. I was reading up on the Tempest and found some comments about the Tempest have some noise issues. Have these been resolved?

charmerci

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jun 2016, 11:28 pm »
I have a Tempest. There is a ten second buzz when I turn it on (it's grounded to an outlet - though I should ground it elsewhere). If I simply wait the 10 seconds before I turn on the amp.....

(I'm off the net for today.)

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2016, 04:35 am »
Call me,  and let me see what I can do for you....take in trade for new unit etc....