Latest Candela Tube Roll

martinr

Re: Latest Candela Tube Roll
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2016, 03:59 pm »
Out of curiosity have you tried these (I'm using them that's why I ask) - http://www.synergyhifi.com/xproduct.asp?pid=154

I received the Synergy Tubes from Mr. Ninsheng Liu a few days ago....left the Candela on for three days and listened to music for approx. 12 hours so far.  These are the best tubes I have used.  More definition and deeper soundstage than the cryoed mullards from upscale audio.  Really a great upgrade to the Candela for sure.  Thanks Phil for recommending!  (Now to talk the wife into parting with $$ for a Gustard X20 dac).   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2016, 04:42 pm »
No problem. I also use Synergy 5AR4s in my Modwright 36.5 DM preamp and found them better than Mullards. They are also not horribly expensive.

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2016, 07:08 pm »
PS -depending on what I do with the main system music server (and I might not do anything - waiting for the dealer to lend me an Aurender N100H to try), I might consider the Gustard as well (I look at the thread from time to time but have not focused on it yet) for my back-up system (and move my Teac UD-501 to another since I'd have an extra music server if I upgrade the main system).

limniscate

« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2016, 07:30 pm »
I received the Synergy Tubes from Mr. Ninsheng Liu a few days ago....left the Candela on for three days and listened to music for approx. 12 hours so far.  These are the best tubes I have used.  More definition and deeper soundstage than the cryoed mullards from upscale audio.  Really a great upgrade to the Candela for sure.  Thanks Phil for recommending!  (Now to talk the wife into parting with $$ for a Gustard X20 dac).   :thumb:

Are these better than the PSvane?

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2016, 07:51 pm »

Never tried their tubes but their are reviews out there - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/psvane/1.html  "I favored Create Hifi's injection of transient focus."

As with any audio equipment and/or accessories, it often comes down to personal preferences and tastes (and sometimes certain threads on certain subjects get out of hand - I mean no one can tell someone else that strawberry ice cream always takes better than chocolate).

I try to stay out of those threads.  I'm helping someone now with computer audio and lent him a music server and DAC vs. a Modwright/Oppo BDP-95.  I'd guess he recognizes certain things that are not ideal about the BDP-95 but probably prefers the sound of it.  I just recovered music files from a damaged hard drive for him and will help get him set-up with the Oppo Media Control App on his tablet and let him decide what he prefers.

martinr

« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2016, 08:58 pm »
PS -depending on what I do with the main system music server (and I might not do anything - waiting for the dealer to lend me an Aurender N100H to try), I might consider the Gustard as well (I look at the thread from time to time but have not focused on it yet) for my back-up system (and move my Teac UD-501 to another since I'd have an extra music server if I upgrade the main system).
Yeah, I had been focused on an Yggdrasil but after reading the reviews of the Gustard X20 it is too tempting to spend less than half to potentially get better performance.  I will run a disc spinner through it at first and then upgrade to a computer audio server after October.....not looking forward to burning my 300+ CDs to a hard drive but at some point I'll have to take the time to do it.

Appreciate your advice and inputs Phil

- Martin

martinr

« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2016, 08:59 pm »
Never used the PSvane tubes either...sorry

aaron.luebke

« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2016, 09:57 pm »
Is anyone using heat dissipation on the Candela tubes?  I've just got in some IERC heat shields and based on the links below these should increase the life of any tube you're using.  I just put a couple on other tubed components I have.  The Candela is parked for the moment as I'm using the Tempest.

http://www.qsl.net/kh6grt/page4/shields/shields.htm

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2016, 12:03 am »
Not using heat dissipation (have tube dampers though).  Does not get that hot (I've checked - especially where I had it before in my old place where I didn't have as much room above it).  There's probably a foot above until the other shelf (see pic) and where the tubes are the heat can rise all the way to the 10 ft. ceiling.