Eastern Electric DAC

John151

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #40 on: 9 Nov 2009, 04:21 pm »
I'm in!

Bill - I will give you a call later today. 

srb

« Reply #41 on: 9 Nov 2009, 04:36 pm »
I don't think Alex has commented yet whether it is a digital or analog attenuator.

If it's a digital one, then having it all the way up would be the same as not having one in the circuit, and being a 32 bit control, those who wanted to use it could do so without losing any real meaningful resolution.

If it is analog, well then I suppose it could have some audible effect.

Steve

chadh

« Reply #42 on: 9 Nov 2009, 07:28 pm »
 When it comes to using a USB input, there is a lot of talk from other manufacturers about the technology for grabbing the data from the USB connection.  They talk about synchronous or asynchronous modes, none of which I understand.  But apparently this makes a big difference to the amount of jitter the USB feed introduces.

Does the internal anti-jitter capacity of this new EE DAC make these considerations irrelevant?  I'm just trying to gauge the merits of this DAC relative to a the similarly priced Music Hall unit (given that I'm committed to some kind of PC audio option).

Chad

roscoeiii

« Reply #43 on: 9 Nov 2009, 07:34 pm »
Bill, Alex, and the legions of folks more knowledgeable than I am may weigh in on this, but my understanding of the ESS Sabre chip is that it removes much of the jitter problems associated with transports and DACs (meaning that you can get away with a less impressive transport with no major sonic compromises? We'll see). I may just be buying into the hype at this point, and I haven't heard the chip myself. But reviews of devices with ESS Sabre chips (such as the Peachtree Nova, which uses an older Sabre chip) and reviews of the chip on a circuit board provided by the chip manufacturer (see the Audiophilia review, and  I think there were others) suggest that this is the case. Time and first-hand experience will tell.

srb

« Reply #44 on: 9 Nov 2009, 08:25 pm »
.....(given that I'm committed to some kind of PC audio option).

Chad,

Have you given any thought as to whether you will have high resolution audio files in your library?  If you plan to have your music library contain 24/96 (or higher) files (as I do), you won't be using the USB input, as that is limited to 16/48 due to the USB chip used.  (I believe that limitation would apply to the Music Hall 25.2 DAC as well)

If you do, you would need either an S/PDIF output in your computer (integrated or soundcard) or a separate USB to S/PDIF or FireWire to S/PDIF converter.

In either case, I am hoping that the "Patented Time Domain Jitter Eliminator" works well (well enough to have already been awarded an actual patent, as it doesn't say patent pending, but says "patented"!)

----------------------------------------

Bill & Alex,

Since you are taking pre-orders and plan to deliver in 2-3 months, I have to assume that the design details are finalized (and that all the posts about what features should be implemented or not could only apply to a later version or model at this point) and that you are now sending design files to PCB and case fabricators and ordering parts.

Since there are some of us undecided on the pre-order, could you read through the posts made since either of you last posted, and attempt to answer questions asked since then, to help us finalize our decision?

Thanks,

Steve

chadh

« Reply #45 on: 9 Nov 2009, 08:44 pm »
.....(given that I'm committed to some kind of PC audio option).

Chad,

Have you given any thought as to whether you will have high resolution audio files in your library?  If you plan to have your music library contain 24/96 (or higher) files (as I do), you won't be using the USB input, as that is limited to 16/48 due to the USB chip used.  (I believe that limitation would apply to the Music Hall 25.2 DAC as well)

If you do, you would need either an S/PDIF output in your computer (integrated or soundcard) or a separate USB to S/PDIF or FireWire to S/PDIF converter.

In either case, I am hoping that the "Patented Time Domain Jitter Eliminator" works well (well enough to have already been awarded an actual patent, as it doesn't say patent pending, but says "patented"!)

Steve

Thanks for the thoughts, Steve. 

As it is, my whole collection is 16/44 and I'm unlikely to be replacing significant portions of of it any time soon.  Moreover, I'm pretty committed to buying music because it's music I like, rather than music that is produced and recorded brilliantly.  That probably means relatively little by way of high res files for for me, at least in the foreseeable future.  I don't think high-res capabilities will weigh heavily on my short-term buying decisions.

Chad

mumford

« Reply #46 on: 9 Nov 2009, 09:23 pm »
Suggestion:  Have a switch on the front panel to select which input to decode.  Sabre is capable of doing it.  Then, people can have their PC, PS3, and other sources connected to the DAC and can use the DAC as a pre-amp.

srb

« Reply #47 on: 9 Nov 2009, 09:29 pm »
Suggestion:  Have a switch on the front panel to select which input to decode.  Sabre is capable of doing it.  Then, people can have their PC, PS3, and other sources connected to the DAC and can use the DAC as a pre-amp.

That's why we need to hear from Bill and Alex.  I simply assumed there was an input selector switch like most DACs.

Steve

roscoeiii

« Reply #48 on: 9 Nov 2009, 09:34 pm »
Or even better, automatic source selection, where the order that stuff is plugged in determines what is prioritzed, as in this device:

http://www.cs1.net/products/audio_authority/1177A.htm

A man can dream can't he?

mumford

« Reply #49 on: 9 Nov 2009, 09:46 pm »
I actually do not want or care for auto source selection, because I always have everything plugged in and I don't need the added complexity and defaulting to last selected is what I want.

mumford

« Reply #50 on: 9 Nov 2009, 09:48 pm »
My understanding is that Sabre can accept multiple inputs, and one can switch input by sending a command to Sabre.  In essence, Sabre has the digital switch built in.

tubesound

« Reply #51 on: 9 Nov 2009, 11:24 pm »
Another Sabre dac to consider is the new Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 which may come out before EE DAC and debuted on this year's RMAF: http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-view.html?pid=396494&b_id=&find_groupid=18157. It has a discrete output stage.

roscoeiii

« Reply #52 on: 9 Nov 2009, 11:29 pm »
And the W4S model has the greater price that would one would associate with a discrete output stage and balanced design...

pardales

« Reply #53 on: 9 Nov 2009, 11:49 pm »
And the W4S model has the greater price that would one would associate with a discrete output stage and balanced design...

Good to know about.......thanks!

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #54 on: 10 Nov 2009, 02:35 am »
Hi Guys,
 I've been trying to reach Alex for a couple of days. He must be in the mainland working with the engineers. As soon as I hear from him he will give an update as I have left a few emails and told him many questions are being asked.
 Please be patient.

Thanks,
 Bill

bravophase

« Reply #55 on: 10 Nov 2009, 02:19 pm »
I'd rather EE spend money on the part they're best capable to do. Down the chain, we still have the pre-amp/amp/integrated to adjust the sound for example. Just my thoughts though. One question: how to bypass the volume control on this dac since I'm using an integrated amp? (This volume control can be taken out too to further cut down the costs).

Yeah there are really many personal preferences. I always trust my ears for the final results and that works for all the products so far  aa though I am pretty open to all different ideas  :wink: The volume will still be there and it cannot be bypassed. You will have some fun time of finding out the best sounding volume position to best match your integarted amp  :D

Cheers !

Alex

srb

« Reply #56 on: 10 Nov 2009, 02:47 pm »
The volume will still be there and it cannot be bypassed.

1. So, does that mean it is an analog volume control versus a digital one?

2. Is the tube inside the casework, or does it extend through the top or mounted completely on the top?  Do you have approximate case dimensions?

Steve

bravophase

« Reply #57 on: 10 Nov 2009, 02:57 pm »

2. Is the tube inside the casework, or does it extend through the top or mounted completely on the top?  Do you have approximate case dimensions?

Steve

Hi Steve,

1. yes it is
2. the tube is neither inside the chassis nor on top of it, it makes use of the same idea of the EE CD player that is plugged at the back. The dimension is about 280 x 186 x 58mm

Cheers !!

Alex

Jon L

« Reply #58 on: 10 Nov 2009, 03:19 pm »

Hi Steve,

1. yes it is

Oh, man.  I was hoping Sabre's internal 32 bit digital volume control was used, which *can* be bypassed.  At this price range, I'm assuming the analogue volume control is not a stepped attenuator but a pot and will NOT come with remote volume control  :icon_frown:

Gopher

« Reply #59 on: 10 Nov 2009, 08:30 pm »
The analog controlled gain won't stop me!  I trust Alex's ear--something about this company's gear 'does it' for me.  Didn't get to hear their CDP, but I've had no interest in trying another Pre or Phono since November 2005...

Hopefully they can pull off another gem...

Can anyone else chime in on whether it would be worth while to have Boulder do the digital modifications to a squeezebox as a transport for a Sabre32 dac?