Ampzilla - Yes

Housteau

Ampzilla - Yes
« on: 11 Sep 2014, 01:52 pm »
I finally have a pair of Ampzilla's in my room.  A friend of mine had recently picked up a pair of the second edition models at a very, very good price.  He is without speakers at the moment waiting on his next pair and so I have his new amps for a while.  The way he moves through gear, enjoying the chase for his ultimate sound, I have no doubt that these will be mine eventually and probably sooner than later.  I have them from 280 Hz on up replacing my Kt-120 Primalunas and absolutely love what they do.

I have heard them at Brian's set-ups in Vegas and had the chance to work with them there the last few years with him and James.  So, I have known for some time that they really work well with VMPS and I am really not sure why it has taken me so long to come around.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Re: Ampzilla - Yes
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2014, 02:04 pm »
Enjoy my friend  :thumb:

johzel

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2014, 02:28 pm »
Cool.  Am not-so-patiently awaiting the release of the Son of Ampzilla MK2's.  Expected within the month . . . have placed my order.   :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2014, 03:32 pm »
Yes, the AMPZILLA/VMPS combo is hard to beat.

I still have my Son of AMPZILLA (although for sale) and occasionally move it around my systems to various duties.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2014, 05:22 pm »
I finally have a pair of Ampzilla's in my room.  A friend of mine had recently picked up a pair of the second edition models at a very, very good price.  He is without speakers at the moment waiting on his next pair and so I have his new amps for a while.  The way he moves through gear, enjoying the chase for his ultimate sound, I have no doubt that these will be mine eventually and probably sooner than later.  I have them from 280 Hz on up replacing my Kt-120 Primalunas and absolutely love what they do.

I have heard them at Brian's set-ups in Vegas and had the chance to work with them there the last few years with him and James.  So, I have known for some time that they really work well with VMPS and I am really not sure why it has taken me so long to come around.

I think I may have heard that same set-up in Vegas( The Show) a few years back when Brian and James were still with us. That's if it was the one where they also played a live jazz set with James on piano. The recorded playback of this set thru the VMPS speakers( open baffle ribbon towers of some ilk) and James's electronics was stunning to say the least. The best I heard at that particular show by a wide margin and I'm a tube guy.

Housteau

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2014, 08:43 pm »
I think I may have heard that same set-up in Vegas( The Show) a few years back when Brian and James were still with us. That's if it was the one where they also played a live jazz set with James on piano. The recorded playback of this set thru the VMPS speakers( open baffle ribbon towers of some ilk) and James's electronics was stunning to say the least. The best I heard at that particular show by a wide margin and I'm a tube guy.

Yes, those were the days.  I had just started helping Brian with room set-up starting in 2009 for the live vs recorded demos.  Then, starting in 2010  I began making those recordings along with James Harger for the demos.  The last show was in 2012.  It was partnered with Wyred 4 Sound and for me that one was the best.  I don't believe it had the largest attendance, but I found both the live and recorded music, as well as the system and room to be quite good.   

Set-up day was always very hectic, but Brian had the system and room really dialed in before we left for that evening.  As usual we left the electronics on overnight for a good warm up.  The next morning I came in early to find that one of the four Ampzilla amps, one on bass duty had blown a fuse.  So, I went through my all too common routine of running room to room to beg, borrow, or steal something that we desperately needed to get up and running.  Usually it was a tool of some sort like an elusive #4 Phillips head screwdriver that we always needed, but Brian had always either misplaced, or forgot to put in his SHOW tool bag of tricks.  I am convinced that after these events Brian would bring that bag home, place it in a corner somewhere, forget about it and then bring it as it was for the following year :).

Anyway, I could not locate an adequate fuse anywhere in the Flamingo and EJ and Clint from Wyred 4 Sound did not have any spares with them.  Brian had not come in yet and so we decided to replace the mono Amzillas with a stereo amp from EJ.  He had several of his items there on display.  He called his technical people to compare on paper the differences in efficiencies between the two different amps so I could correct for it in at the DCX crossover.  We finally got the system back, but it was different and something was wrong.

Brian came in shortly after and noticed it right away and asked what had happened.  As good as the Wyred 4 Sound amp may have been, it was not the Ampzilla that had created the magic the evening before.  He was a bit upset that the room was not sounding as it had and that a few people may have heard it before he had a chance to correct it.  He said the we should have called him right away.  So, I was sent back out to scour the area once again for that fuse.  Fortunately I found one in a room that had been locked.  They had just arrived and deep in his set up bag, there it was.  Once those two Ampzillas were put back on line for bass duty it all came back together quickly and all was well. 

So you see, as I mentioned in my opening post, I was aware of how good these amps were from first hand experience, yet it has taken all this time for me to get them in my room and I don't have a good reason for it.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2014, 03:40 pm by Housteau »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2014, 12:17 am »
For several years W4S make and distribute SST (Spread Spectrum Technology).  SoA released early 00s for $3500/ea.  I don't think it was ever updated.  Last MSRP was $4250ea.  I always preferred SoA more than Ampzilla mono Mk1 (mono version of SoA, Mk2 is definitely better than Mk1).   

Shortly before he passed, at Brian's last THE Show, Bongiorno brought empty black chassis and identified it as coming all new "Grandson" (of Ampzilla).  It was a much more standard black chassis vs. SoA.   

June 2014 at Newport THE Show, W4S Principal EJ Sarmento had "SoA MkII" on static display in above described GSA chassis.  Part Time Audiophile posted image of SoA MkII at this display. 

EJ implied or stated SoA MkII shares architecture with SoA, with shortcuts where they would least degrade performance.  MSRP $3k/ea.  I'd love to hear it.  It looks like great value.

The other new SS amp in similar price category that must be heard IMO is Benchmark's $3k/ea AHB2.  They promised delivery all the way back to early this year.  Last week they said, "couple more weeks."  It's worth waiting for IMO.             

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2014, 09:56 am »
Hi,

EJ from Wyred 4 Sound is great to deal with.  I had a problematic Ampzilla 2000 (second edition) as one of the mono blocks had a noisy transformer and kept blowing fuses.  Eventually it had a major problem and I returned it to EJ for repair.  He was great to work with and fixed the Amplifier and it works flawlessly.

Until recently I had a Son of Ampzilla which I sold to a friend.  The Ampzilla has a deeper bass and the top end was a bit more extended than the SOA.  Both are great amps in my opinion.

Cheers Rod

Housteau

« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2014, 10:23 pm »
I now have another pair of Ampzillas in my room.  The first pair I had started this thread on was a black second edition set.  These here are a first edition blue pair. 

The friend I had borrowed the black pair from loves them as much as I do and is planning on keeping them for a while.  He had picked up this blue pair just to see if he could tell a difference between them.  He could not and after having them for a few days neither can I.  I think I will be keeping them.

ZAKski288

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2015, 01:15 am »
I now have another pair of Ampzillas in my room.  The first pair I had started this thread on was a black second edition set.  These here are a first edition blue pair. 

The friend I had borrowed the black pair from loves them as much as I do and is planning on keeping them for a while.  He had picked up this blue pair just to see if he could tell a difference between them.  He could not and after having them for a few days neither can I.  I think I will be keeping them.

Housteau, Thanks for the comparison of the two Ampzillas (1st &2nd edition) I always wondered if there was a difference in sound. I do like the blue ones,they stand out. Also your set-up, room and speakers are something people dream about. Happy Listening. ZAK

Housteau

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2015, 10:25 pm »
Housteau, Thanks for the comparison of the two Ampzillas (1st &2nd edition) I always wondered if there was a difference in sound. I do like the blue ones,they stand out. Also your set-up, room and speakers are something people dream about. Happy Listening. ZAK

Thank you.  Years ago I didn't like the blue and had wanted to see a black pair.  I certainly would have bought my friends black pair had he wanted to let them go, but now I too favor the blue.  I enjoy them just as much as the newer black pair and they are to be had at a much reduced price.  I see it as a win all the way around.

My understanding is that they are basically the same.  The second now has parallel speaker terminals to the European standard, which are very nice.  It it also rated at a higher output, but I think that most of that comes from the originals being very conservative in their specs.

Wardsweb

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2015, 10:53 pm »
I knew James for the last 15 years of his life. He was one of kind. From his colorful suits to his stellar audio designs. I own a pair of original blue Ampzilla 2000's and love them. They got more out of my Martin Logan CLS electrostats than any other amp I tried. A pair of Martin Logan Prodigy took their place and the Ampzilla's kept on singing. They now drive the bass bins on a pair of Klipsch Jubilee's. I have a pair of Apogee Signature Duetta speakers that I need to replace a bass panel on. I think the Ampzilla's will do well pushing these well know difficult loads.

FYI if would like to see pictures of these amps and setups, Google wardsweb ampzilla 2000.

rooze

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2015, 11:12 pm »
I really like my 2000's. I've been through a lot of heavy hitting amps in the last 10 years and they sound better than anything else I've had (Krell, Cary, Sim Audio, Odyssey, Lyngdorf, Tact CJ, Red Dragon, McIntosh, Belles and more!).

You don't hear them at their best until you pair them with the Ambrosia however. They were still very good I thought with a Supratek preamp, but the Ambrosia has good synergy with the 2000's, as it should.

I have them driving Carver Amazing Plats and they have plenty of steam.

The picture below shows them with Talon Khites, a bit of overkill but they do sound quite good for a small speaker.

Sorry about the feet!

Wardsweb

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2015, 12:04 am »
I really like my 2000's. I've been through a lot of heavy hitting amps in the last 10 years and they sound better than anything else I've had (Krell, Cary, Sim Audio, Odyssey, Lyngdorf, Tact CJ, Red Dragon, McIntosh, Belles and more!).

You don't hear them at their best until you pair them with the Ambrosia however. They were still very good I thought with a Supratek preamp, but the Ambrosia has good synergy with the 2000's, as it should.

I have them driving Carver Amazing Plats and they have plenty of steam.

The picture below shows them with Talon Khites, a bit of overkill but they do sound quite good for a small speaker.

Sorry about the feet!

I agree the Ambrosia mated very well with the 2000's but what I could not live with was the fan cooling. The second generation did away with it but mine was first generation. I ended up selling it.

Now I do still have the Trinaural process which is very cool.

JP78

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2015, 02:36 pm »
There's a pair of Ampzilla MKII black on Audiogon right now for a very fair price of 3800 USD.  They're not mine, but figured I'd bump this thread in case Housteau or someone else still needs a pair.

Housteau

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2015, 04:55 pm »
That is a good price.  I believe that was the price my friend paid for his that I had started this thread about.  I did buy his other set of the blue originals and have been very pleased with them.