Anyone Setup Their Equipment Symmetrical To A Corner?

ST86

Hi,

Don’t know if anyone noticed when I showed the picture of my front setup with the Supertowers and Heil center, the setup is symmetrical to a room corner not one of the walls.  I’ve reposted the pic below.  System is in my finished basement and as luck would have it the columns that support the house are in the exact spots for desired furniture and equipment placement.  The corner setup isn‘t ideal but works quite well.

I mention this because I’d like some opinions from others who have tried this configuration.  Anything unique to be aware of with a corner setup?  Things you liked and any problems found?  I have had a hard time finding info regarding a corner setup other than a few diagrams with captions along the line of “here’s something else you can try”.

Cheers,

Ed

Early B.

Re: Anyone Setup Their Equipment Symmetrical To A Corner?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2014, 05:52 pm »
My friend had a similar basement setup and it worked fine. Check the Decware website and search for a paper that Steve Dekert wrote on the merits of setting up speakers in the corner. My suggestion is to pull the speakers as far away from the walls as possible.

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2014, 08:49 pm »
I had a NHT surround system set up like that, and it sounded very good.  Sound dispersion worked well too, with very little localization of the speakers.  Friends couldn't believe that my modest NHT system sounded as good as it did, in that room.

The television was centered to the corner, with the center speaker just below it, and the left/right mains further out, just flanking the TV.  Plus, that allowed the surrounds to be placed along the diagonal of the room, in the opposing corners.  I got really nice surround separation from that placement.

Now, that said, I only think the reason that I used that placement configuration, was the fact that this particular room was square.  For a square room, it works well, to help break up room modes, since the speakers aren't symmetrically placed to parallel walls.  For a rectangular room, I'd still probably use a standard rule-of-thirds, or short-wall/long-wall placement. 

ST86

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:18 am »

Thanks for the replies. 

Here is the paper Early B. refers to:

http://www.decware.com/paper14.htm

In the paper the author mentions setting things in a corner helps with imaging but not with room boom.  I have a huge peak in the room at around 70Hz.  I see bass traps in my future.

Ed

Housteau

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2014, 02:07 pm »
Now, that said, I only think the reason that I used that placement configuration, was the fact that this particular room was square.  For a square room, it works well, to help break up room modes, since the speakers aren't symmetrically placed to parallel walls.  For a rectangular room, I'd still probably use a standard rule-of-thirds, or short-wall/long-wall placement.

A friend of mine does the same sort of cross corner set up and for the above mentioned reasons.  His room is rectangular and I believe this arrangement can help just about any room that has bass issues with a standard set up.  I have also seen this at different high end shows where this is was the best way to get a balanced sound for the room.