Best Sound at RMAF

Mountainjoe

• President & CEO Eigen Audio Dealer
    • Eigen Audio
Re: Best Sound at RMAF
« Reply #20 on: 8 Oct 2015, 08:56 pm »
Is it possible to determine build quality by looking at a speaker? Or how about taking it apart? i bet that would say a lot how a speaker is built.

It's certainly possible to look at the fit and finish of a speaker without taking it apart - that can say a lot about the quality of the construction and also how much the manufacturer cares about how his product looks (not just how it sounds).

When I took delivery of my VR-44s, I had an issue with one of the woofers - or so I thought. It ended up being my phono stage, but Devon (Albert's grandson) delivered the speakers and he took the rear panel off the speaker in question to check the wires to the woofers. When he put the panel back on, he took the time to align the screw heads (they use square drive screws) so that the squares were all in the same orientation. All of the screws on the speaker are installed that way. The fact he took the time and cared enough to do this while chasing down a problem in my system is a testimony to the quality of not just the VSA products, but of the pride they have in what they do.

VSA is a class act all around!

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2015, 09:10 pm »
It's certainly possible to look at the fit and finish of a speaker without taking it apart - that can say a lot about the quality of the construction and also how much the manufacturer cares about how his product looks (not just how it sounds).

When I took delivery of my VR-44s, I had an issue with one of the woofers - or so I thought. It ended up being my phono stage, but Devon (Albert's grandson) delivered the speakers and he took the rear panel off the speaker in question to check the wires to the woofers. When he put the panel back on, he took the time to align the screw heads (they use square drive screws) so that the squares were all in the same orientation. All of the screws on the speaker are installed that way. The fact he took the time and cared enough to do this while chasing down a problem in my system is a testimony to the quality of not just the VSA products, but of the pride they have in what they do.

VSA is a class act all around!

VSA/Endeavor DNA!  Impeccable fit and finish and QC!

gammajo

« Reply #22 on: 8 Oct 2015, 10:18 pm »
I think on the VAS website, but also definitely in the TAS review, the parts are listed for the VR55's and it is an impressive list of state of the art materials

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #23 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:31 am »
The VR55s seem to have a better build quality, but I prefer the Selah's. They are a rare treat.

..that's saying a lot...congrats!

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #24 on: 9 Oct 2015, 02:23 am »
Hello Mr. Aevans,

Thank you for your RMAF Show Report;  I would like to see more audiophiles get involved with show coverage.  Your review was very informative and enlightened.  Thank you, sir!

I am not familiar with your personal speakers, but I'm sure they're very good -- you have obvious good taste in sound!  I'm also willing to bet that your room has better sound than the hotel room we used at RMAF; that room was the limiting factor.  I've visited several dealers and customers who purchased the VR-55 Aktives and they ALL had better sound that we had at RMAF; the room makes all the difference in the world!

We look forward to your future show coverage, keep it coming!

Happy Listening,

Albert Von Schweikert

aevans

« Reply #25 on: 9 Oct 2015, 02:42 am »
Hello Mr. Aevans,

Thank you for your RMAF Show Report;  I would like to see more audiophiles get involved with show coverage.  Your review was very informative and enlightened.  Thank you, sir!

I am not familiar with your personal speakers, but I'm sure they're very good -- you have obvious good taste in sound!  I'm also willing to bet that your room has better sound than the hotel room we used at RMAF; that room was the limiting factor.  I've visited several dealers and customers who purchased the VR-55 Aktives and they ALL had better sound that we had at RMAF; the room makes all the difference in the world!

We look forward to your future show coverage, keep it coming!

Happy Listening,

Albert Von Schweikert

Albert, thank you for your kind words. In another thread about my coverage I explained a bit better my preferences as well as why I preferred your system for best of show, and like my system for what it does. Hopefully this will clarify without creating any disharmony over here in your circle my decision top prefer my home system which as you point out has had years of tweaking position and general setup work. Here is the quote:

I prefer a more flat room sound to go with a flat on axis sound. I achieve this in my home system with a very wide dispersion RAAL ribbon to fill in the natural roll off that rooms eat off of the top octaves with from wall materials absorption. This does have the downside of not having matched directivity between the midrange and the tweeter. The VR55s rear tweeter does the job keeping the room sound flat, while making sure that the directivity of the front drivers are better matched than my extra wide/narrow ribbon tweeter. The VR55s a great design, and with the beryllium tweeter and silly good build quality it really just knocked it out the park.

gme109

« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2015, 11:56 pm »
The VR55s seem to have a better build quality, but I prefer the Selah's. They are a rare treat.

Which Selah model do you have?

mhconley

« Reply #27 on: 15 Oct 2015, 08:18 pm »
Which Selah model do you have?

Selah Audio Mejor Supreme (http://noaudiophile.com/Selah_Mejor/)

I found them the other day surfing his site... They look interesting to say the least.

Martin