good dealers still possible

won ton on

Re: good dealers still possible
« Reply #20 on: 16 Dec 2011, 01:41 pm »
anyone remember straight gain in toronto.that was the first time i heard high end audio.it was dayton-wright (anyone remember them) speakers krell amp and pre can't remember the turntable but supertramp's crime of the century was playing. wow just blew me away. late 70's early 80's

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #21 on: 16 Dec 2011, 01:53 pm »
 Before coming to Vancouver my earlier hi-fi mecca was Teletron in St.Catherines.Ont. Anderson Sound was another that hailed from Hamilton. Both..great outfits during the 1970s. They helped me on my audio journey... :bowdown:

SoundGame

« Reply #22 on: 16 Dec 2011, 02:32 pm »
It was called Whitby Audio in Whitby Ontario - just outside Toronto (still there different owner).  carried all the good stuff - Magnepan, Audio Research, Time Window, Bryston, Sequerra, Dalquest, Conrad Johnston, KEF, Quad, etc.

james

Yes James, I know Whitby Audio.  Michael's shop is great.  I've visited them a number of times.  I leave just east of Toronto in Pickering, just up from the Rouge Valley, so Whitby Audio is convenient.

I had no idea you owned that shop in Whitby.

I had a conversation with Michael a little while back about preamps - I was just beginning to shop around and he spoke very highly of the BP26.  He said that he had been doing this for years and had finally found utter audio bliss with it.  I'd say that had some influence in my looking into Bryston further. 

Bill310

« Reply #23 on: 14 Oct 2015, 02:22 am »
I grew up in Oshawa Starr Records, the stereo shop in the Midtown mall and the very knowledgeable guy at the Radio Shack across from Cliff Mills Motors. Whitby Audio  had stuff no one else had and the equipment was way too expensive for a college guy. BTW sorry for all my loitering in your store.

It was called Whitby Audio in Whitby Ontario - just outside Toronto (still there different owner).  carried all the good stuff - Magnepan, Audio Research, Time Window, Bryston, Sequerra, Dalquest, Conrad Johnston, KEF, Quad, etc.

james

Chicago

« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2015, 08:19 pm »
And then there is the venerable Audio Consultants in Chicago. They have about 5 stores, with large demo rooms. Not sure, but I believe the company is about 40 years old and still going strong.  They were invaluable to me when I lived in Chicago.

Rob

:thumb:  Simon Zreczny opened Audio Consultants on Davis St in Evanston, IL in 1967 and both the store and Simon are still going strong.  I first visited his store in 1970 and he now has four stores in the Chicago area.  Great people and always willing to help.  I only wish my first purchases had been Bryston but I eventually came around from the Dark Side.

Good Listening,
Mike

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #25 on: 26 Oct 2015, 05:21 pm »
anyone remember straight gain in toronto.that was the first time i heard high end audio.it was dayton-wright (anyone remember them) speakers krell amp and pre can't remember the turntable but supertramp's crime of the century was playing. wow just blew me away. late 70's early 80's

Dayton-Wright's were the reason Bryston power climbed to the top in my experience in the late 70's ... besides Threshold power, 4B's were the only amps that could drive them without shutting down, and that includes Stereo and Mono Bridged mode (the D-W XG8's were power hungry, and no amount seemed too much ... "800 watts and using 'em all") where you are effectively halving the impedance load the amp sees.

won ton on

« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2015, 06:07 pm »
Johnny2Bad If i'm not mistaken the Krell's driving them were 50 watt class 'a',they seemed like a good match.

spinner

« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2015, 11:01 am »
  I bought my amps at  old Commercial Electronics in Vancouver. They have since cut themselves out of the Bryston line . I miss the old gang that put me on the right  audio path. The new Bryston dealer here is a long time and well respected hi-fi store that handles B&W speakers and many other major brands. :thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #28 on: 27 Oct 2015, 11:27 am »
 Commercial was a good place but new owners changed  things a bit . The new store gave up Bryston. :bawl:

TJ-Sully

« Reply #29 on: 30 Oct 2015, 04:38 am »
HiFi Centre in Vancouver has an amazing new store...with a killer Bryston setup.  Got my 4BSST^2 and BDA2 there last year - oh yeh, and my Mini T's too. love the sound. Got "Sands of Nevada" cranked now, from Mark Knopfler.

Thanks James and Bryston! :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #30 on: 30 Oct 2015, 03:01 pm »
HiFi Centre in Vancouver has an amazing new store...with a killer Bryston setup.  Got my 4BSST^2 and BDA2 there last year - oh yeh, and my Mini T's too. love the sound. Got "Sands of Nevada" cranked now, from Mark Knopfler.

Thanks James and Bryston! :thumb:   Yeh , that's the store  I  meant . Hi-  Fi Center has always been one of the great sound shops here. :thumb: