BDP-3 and factory supplied internal mSATA SSD drive

soundmax

BDP-3 and factory supplied internal mSATA SSD drive
« on: 22 Feb 2018, 10:43 am »
Hello James,

Looking for a SSD to place inside BDP-3.
The official communication reads that Bryston could offer as an option "A 500 GB quality mSATA Solid State drive or 2TB SATA rotary hard drive."

As the Bdp-3 has internally an available SATA cable I'm a bit confused:
1. is the above mentioned drive to be attached in this location as a regular SATA 2,5" SSD drive (e.g. Samsung 850 Evo MZ-75E500B)?
Or is it possible to use the mini (mSATA) port on the BDP-3's motherboard and the disk type that will be fitted is mSATA (e.g. Samsung MZ-M5E500BW) ?

2. what is the extra cost of this 500 GB drive installed at factory when ordering a new unit?

Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-3 and factory supplied internal mSATA SSD drive
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2018, 11:05 am »
Hello James,

Looking for a SSD to place inside BDP-3.
The official communication reads that Bryston could offer as an option "A 500 GB quality mSATA Solid State drive or 2TB SATA rotary hard drive."

As the Bdp-3 has internally an available SATA cable I'm a bit confused:
1. is the above mentioned drive to be attached in this location as a regular SATA 2,5" SSD drive (e.g. Samsung 850 Evo MZ-75E500B)?
Or is it possible to use the mini (mSATA) port on the BDP-3's motherboard and the disk type that will be fitted is mSATA (e.g. Samsung MZ-M5E500BW) ?

2. what is the extra cost of this 500 GB drive installed at factory when ordering a new unit?

Thank you.

Hi soundmax

Yes Chris and I have been looking at offering internal sata drives but the cost to the customer will double - due to the bean counters - over the customer buying the drive themselves and installing it. So we can certainly offer the internal drive as a convenience for our customers but recognize that the costs are more.

I will let Chris confirm the motherboard question but as I understand it the optional drive attaches to the internal cable and the motherboard sata is removed.

james
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2018, 03:47 pm by James Tanner »

KeithA

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2018, 01:39 pm »
Hi soundmax

Yes Chris and I have been looking at offering internal sata drives but the cost to the customer will double - due to the bean counters - over the custom buying the drive themselves and installing it. So we can certainly offer the internal drive as a convenience for our customers but recognize that the costs are more.

I will let Chris confirm the motherboard question but as I understand it the optional drive attaches to the internal cable and the motherboard sata is removed.

james

Hey James

I'm interested i this too as I'm in the process of ordering a BDA-3 & BDP-3 combo and want the SSD option as well. I think there's a video on YouTube that shows Chris installing the SSD. Doesn't look too hard  :D Maybe I'll just go that route anyway and purchase/install myself.

Keith

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2018, 03:23 pm »
The Bryston supplied SSD option uses the mSATA connection, we use a portion of the 500GB SSD (approx 25GB) for firmware and user settings and reserve the rest for music.  This leaves the internal SATA connector available for either another SSD or HDD if the end user wishes to expand internal capacity they can.  The drive are using is the Samsung EVO 850 and will likely replace it with whatever other entry level product Samsung has when its discontinued by Samsung.

Chris

srb

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2018, 03:35 pm »
It's generally the same memory differing in form factor and voltage.

An mSATA is supposed to have a bit lower power consumption, yet comparing the specs on these two Samsung EVO 850 drives reveals a few interesting specs of power consumption and reliability actually in favor of the 2.5" SATA

Model         Series    Form             Voltage   Power Avg*    Power Burst*   Reliability (MTBF)
MZ-75E500B    EVO 850   2.5" SATA III    5V        3.0W          3.5W           2   million hrs
MZ-M5E500BW   EVO 850   mSATA            3V        3.3W          4.8W           1.5 million hrs

* Actual power consumption may vary depending on system hardware & configuration

That being said, it's a very slight difference that would be of zero concern if you have a factory-installed mSATA, but if you're adding an SSD to a driveless unit, a 2.5" SATA III might also give you a bit more flexibility down the road as far as finding a home in another computer should you later swap it out for a different or larger drive.

Steve

KeithA

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2018, 05:19 pm »
The Bryston supplied SSD option uses the mSATA connection, we use a portion of the 500GB SSD (approx 25GB) for firmware and user settings and reserve the rest for music.  This leaves the internal SATA connector available for either another SSD or HDD if the end user wishes to expand internal capacity they can.  The drive are using is the Samsung EVO 850 and will likely replace it with whatever other entry level product Samsung has when its discontinued by Samsung.

Chris

Chris

I guess my question (without me looking at any of the technical detail (current draw, etc.)) is would it be likely possible to install a 1TB SSD just for music based on the connectors inside the BDP-3?

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2018, 06:01 pm »
Hi Folks,

Looks like we have a few of these available - MZ-M5E500BW – mSATA 500GB EVO 850 SSD

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2018, 10:15 pm »
Can someone explain to ignoramus me, what is the advantage of having an internal SSD on BDP? SSD is great, but nothing lasts forever, and when it breaks, replacing ain't cheap...or easy.

I find detachable drives very good, relatively inexpen$ive, and still convenient. As long as you BACKUP.... :duh:

cheers

Krutsch

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2018, 04:19 am »
Can someone explain to ignoramus me, what is the advantage of having an internal SSD on BDP? SSD is great, but nothing lasts forever, and when it breaks, replacing ain't cheap...or easy.

I find detachable drives very good, relatively inexpen$ive, and still convenient. As long as you BACKUP.... :duh:

cheers

And then there are these... http://www.corsair.com/en-us/flash-voyager-gtx-usb-3-1-1tb-premium-flash-drive

GTX thumb drives with an SSD controller and now up to 1TB in size for $500 US.

soundmax

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2018, 09:32 am »
Thanks, unincognito, this is the answer I was looking for.
And I think it's the best choice, leaving to the customer the option to add a normal SATA SSD, which is as simple as "plug and play" if you ask me.

For me, the advantage of an internal SSD is shorter signal path, you avoid passing the signal through network cables, switches, routers, etc. and the SSD is fueled by the clean power of the BDP. Arguably, it should sound best - I think :)