Amps to drive Maggie 1.7s

klao

Re: Amps to drive Maggie 1.7s
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2014, 06:35 pm »
While my big Bryston amps are still being repaired, I'm driving my 20.7's with the tiny pair of Wyred4Sound mAMP monoblocks.  They're ICE-based, Class D.  (I really took quite a while for the mAMP to broken-in, though.)  They're more than OK, I think.

You might want to consider W4S products.  Very good performance/price ratio to me.  : )

bdp24

« Reply #21 on: 24 Apr 2014, 03:29 am »
Any of the larger (100-200wpc) Music Reference tube power amps are great with Maggies. You'll need to be patient as they don't come up for sale very often.

satie

« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2014, 04:31 am »
Good value amps for the 1.7 sufficient for a large room

Recent production
Linear
Odyssey Sratos Monoblocks
Emotiva XPA 1 and 2
Add the Sanders Magtech, though it is more expensive

Class D
Wyred 4 Sound ST500 or the integrated or the monoblocks, personally, the integrated is the better value
Gilmore raptors
Used BelCanto Evo and Ref series amps rated 200 WPC@8 ohms or better

Hybrid
Rogue tube class D hybrids
NYAL/MOSCODE hybrid amps if you don't mind slight looseness in the bass
Peachtree Grand integrated tube/class D hybrid
Monarchy Audio Hybrid

Tube:
Rogue Zeus with KT120s

Oldies
Adcom 565, 5800 5802
Haffler 9500

At a higher performance level
Sunfire amp
Fosgate 4200 Bridged into stereo
Classe DR9, better yet a pair bridged into monoblocks
Threshold class A amps rated 150WPC or more into 8 ohms (should have been recapped by now)
Moscode 600
Krell KMA class A from KMA or KSA series, rated 150WPC or more into 8 ohms (should be used with a tube preamp)

Big old Tube amps
VTL Wotan, 450 and Siegfried
ARC
Melos triode amps rated 150 WPC and up
Manley DEluxe series 200 WPC and up

« Last Edit: 4 May 2014, 04:12 pm by satie »

guest61169

« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2014, 04:10 pm »
Before moving the amp to my video system, I used a Crown XLS 2500 power amp with my 1.7s.  The whole range (but skip the XLS 1000) of these Drivecore amps offers high power for the $$$, cool Class D operation and good warranty.   

MGbert

« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2014, 07:03 pm »
Before moving the amp to my video system, I used a Crown XLS 2500 power amp with my 1.7s.  The whole range (but skip the XLS 1000) of these Drivecore amps offers high power for the $$$, cool Class D operation and good warranty.

Yeah, I heard that the XLS1000 is the one to avoid as well, due to poorer distortion characteristics.  I am VERY tempted to get an XLS 1500 to try on my Gunned MMGs in very nearfield setup, and if that is a sonic improvement over my duo Apt-1 power amps bridged to mono, then get a second XLS-1500 and bridge both to mono.  I think the Apt-1s sound OK, but they ARE 34 years old at this point, and I'm tempting fate by continuing to use them.

The other tempting amp to try is the "Class D Audio" brand SDS 470C for the same price as 2 XLS-1500's.  Not quite the horsepower, but in extreme nearfield my MMGs are already happy with around 200 wpc from the bridged Apt-1s.

MGBert

geowak

« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2014, 07:43 pm »
I would try two Parasound JC1s, a Musical Fidelity M6500i or McIntosh gear. The MF is an integrated amp. But if I could get a used, but powerful point to point wiring ARC or something of high quality, I think you would be surprised that this speaker is not as hard to drive as what is commonly stated. I have some MMGs and have listened to the 1.7's with quality (current) tube power and they sound really very good.

A good McIntosh tube amp would be a great fit for the 1.7. IMHO

johnto

« Reply #26 on: 11 Nov 2016, 03:52 pm »
Just bought a Parasound Halo 2.1 to replace my mono block's wow what a difference this amp tales control of the Maggie 1.7 and really makes them sing. Beautiful sound field , localization of instruments and voice everything as it should be and plenty of power.
Couldn't be happier. All my friends notice the vast improvements too.