GIK Tri Trap question

Vaughan

Re: GIK Tri Trap question
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2009, 01:28 pm »
Hi Bryan,

Just some info on the Monster trap vs Tri-trap. Does the tri-trap absorb more lower down than the monster trap ? What if the monster trap had an additional 2-3 inch air gap straddling a corner, would it compare more favorably ?

Regards,

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #21 on: 22 Apr 2009, 01:49 pm »
It really depends on how you're going to mount it.  A Monster straddling a room corner will do as well or maybe even a touch better than the Tri Traps.  On the down side, they're more expensive as they only ship 1 to a box and they're also going to eat more space in the room.  The back of the Monster will touch the walls in this configuration where the Tri Traps stop.  Then the Monsters come out another 7.5" from there.

Now, if you can't get a 45 degree straddle due to a door frame or whatever, then they're certainly a viable option with good performance.

If you're going to mount them flat on the wall, they're still pretty close to the Tri Traps in extension even without any gap behind them other than what's already built into it.  If you had another 2-3" behind them, then you'll certainly get some benefit.

Bryan

TomS

« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2009, 04:16 pm »
It really depends on how you're going to mount it.  A Monster straddling a room corner will do as well or maybe even a touch better than the Tri Traps.  On the down side, they're more expensive as they only ship 1 to a box and they're also going to eat more space in the room.  The back of the Monster will touch the walls in this configuration where the Tri Traps stop.  Then the Monsters come out another 7.5" from there.

Now, if you can't get a 45 degree straddle due to a door frame or whatever, then they're certainly a viable option with good performance.

If you're going to mount them flat on the wall, they're still pretty close to the Tri Traps in extension even without any gap behind them other than what's already built into it.  If you had another 2-3" behind them, then you'll certainly get some benefit.

Bryan
Bryan,

I've been exchanging messages with Frank (GIK) on this very question.  Could you compare a single Monster (roughly equiv to what I have now 2x4'-9" + 2x2 up top) in the corner vs. a 7' stack (4'+3') of Tri-Traps?  Thinking about Tri stacks in the front corners and moving the existing ones to walls or seams.

Tom

orthobiz

« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2009, 04:39 pm »

Thanks for the comments. Have you noticed any differences when watching movies ? Or did the tri-traps make more of a noticeable difference when listening to music ?

Regards,

No movies for me. I can watch a move on a CRT with a 14" screen and be happy. But for 2 channel stereo, that's another story! :icon_lol:

Paul

Vaughan

« Reply #24 on: 22 Apr 2009, 07:25 pm »
I've probably asked this before but what would be the disadvantage to using just tri-traps and monster traps to treat bass issues together with the first reflection points ? In other words, use tri-traps for the front and rear corners and use the monster traps for behind the speakers, side walls and ceiling ? Because the 242 traps are more affordable and absorb more at the top end apparently, but would it not be advisable to use monster traps for that role too ? I mean, you'll score as you'll get better absorption at the first reflection points too.

Just a few questions I should I'd ask...if I've asked Bryan this before then I do apologize.

Regards,

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 22 Apr 2009, 07:39 pm »

Bryan
Bryan,

I've been exchanging messages with Frank (GIK) on this very question.  Could you compare a single Monster (roughly equiv to what I have now 2x4'-9" + 2x2 up top) in the corner vs. a 7' stack (4'+3') of Tri-Traps?  Thinking about Tri stacks in the front corners and moving the existing ones to walls or seams.

Tom

That's a tough call.  With your panels being 9" thick, they'll have an advantage simply based on sheer thickness.  That said, they're going to take up close to double the space in the room.  If you do the Tri's in the corners, the 9" panels would be great on the wall behind your seat to deal with nulls off the back wall.

Bryan

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 22 Apr 2009, 07:41 pm »
I've probably asked this before but what would be the disadvantage to using just tri-traps and monster traps to treat bass issues together with the first reflection points ? In other words, use tri-traps for the front and rear corners and use the monster traps for behind the speakers, side walls and ceiling ? Because the 242 traps are more affordable and absorb more at the top end apparently, but would it not be advisable to use monster traps for that role too ? I mean, you'll score as you'll get better absorption at the first reflection points too.

Just a few questions I should I'd ask...if I've asked Bryan this before then I do apologize.

Regards,

You can certainly use them in combination.  I'd not recommend the Monsters for side wall and ceiling reflections though.  The Monsters are specifically designed to roll off their absorbent properties after about 800Hz so they're only about 50% absorbent.  That's not what you want at reflection points.  Now, behind the speakers where it's more about dealing with SBIR, absolutely - though 244's would be sufficient in this position most of the time and save you some money.

Bryan

Vaughan

« Reply #27 on: 22 Apr 2009, 07:58 pm »
Thanks for your advice, Bryan.

Regards,