TPA 3116 and appropriate speakers. Opinions please!

sonicxtc

I'm seeking feedback please re: speakers to learn what speakers may work well with TPA 3116 chip amps; I'm specifically aiming at the TPA 3116D2 chip, but I imagine they are all fairly similar.

What speakers are you guys using with your TPA 3116 amp?
Can it manage something like Fritz speakers at moderate volumes? Moderately loud volumes? Those are supposedly quite efficient and an "easy load on an ampilfier;" 8 Ohms nominal  Sensitivity: 87 db (1 Watt, 2.83 V @ 1 Meter).
Can the TPA "crank" efficient speakers? I have some Hawthorne Sterling Silver Iris speakers which are 96 db and the subs are fed via separate amps.

Also, do most of you use an outboard pre-amp? Active or passive?

Thank you all for your input.

BTW, Fritz and Darrel (Hawthorne) are both great guys from whom to buy speakers. Excellent products and superb sound!

Poultrygeist

Re: TPA 3116 and appropriate speakers. Opinions please!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2015, 12:30 am »
I enjoy these Fostex Tektons paired with a dual chip TPA3116 and Nobsound NS-O1P tube preamp. The OB H-frames are powered by their own plate amp.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2015, 12:48 am »
Here's a TPA3116/Astron with Aric tube preamp driving Frugal Horn Mk3's. The wood case plate amp powers the two bucket subs.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2015, 12:59 am »
These days I'm partial to the dual chip TPA3116/Astron SL-15R which gets more use than my SET amps.

If I didn't have the Bottleheads it would be paired with the OB Lowthers.

Markvdv

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2015, 10:54 pm »
To get good result speaker needs to be close to intended speaker for the ampboard design or speaker need to be fairly constant impedance. 3116 biggest shot to fame without hype or personal preferance would be hard loads, low impedance, ugly speakers to other cheap amps. Here 3116 is unbelievable stable and nice/forgiving when on edge.

zacster

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2015, 02:09 am »
I'm using an SMSL SA-60 TPA 3116 amp to drive Frugal Horns at home and Lances (FF85WK) in my office.  I actually prefer the Lance with the smaller driver, but I'm also listening near field.  I also made my daughter a pair of Lances with the SMSL in her dorm room and she has the whole dorm coming over to hear them. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2015, 09:58 am »
The TPA3116 sounds very nice with the Andrew Jones Pioneer BS22-LR's.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2015, 10:11 am »
It'd hard to imagine a better sounding sub $100 system than the Dayton B652's, TPA3116, Guanzo tube preamp, and PS1.

matt_garman

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2016, 10:03 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, hopefully better late than never...

What speakers are you guys using with your TPA 3116 amp?

I've used the following speakers with numerous tpa311x amps:
  • Overnight Sensations (DIY, Paul Carmody design)
  • Slim CGR dMar-Ken 7.3 (DIY, Planet10 HiFi design, using Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 driver)
  • Salk Songtowers
I used the Overnight Sensations on my desktop originally, now they are in the garage.  Powered by tpa311x amps in both cases.

The dMar-Ken7.3 speakers are now my desktop speakers.

The Songtowers are my living room speakers.

Can it manage something like Fritz speakers at moderate volumes? Moderately loud volumes? Those are supposedly quite efficient and an "easy load on an ampilfier;" 8 Ohms nominal  Sensitivity: 87 db (1 Watt, 2.83 V @ 1 Meter).
Can the TPA "crank" efficient speakers? I have some Hawthorne Sterling Silver Iris speakers which are 96 db and the subs are fed via separate amps.

How loud do you want to go?  The main floor of my house is entirely open (living room, dining room, kitchen all in one big open space).  My tpa3116 amp will make the Songtowers go louder than I'll ever need.  But I generally prefer fairly moderate volumes.  If you want to power a big outdoor space, or host a rave, or try to get the cops called on you, or you worked around jet engines all your life, the tpa311x amps might not cut it.

Also, do most of you use an outboard pre-amp? Active or passive?

I've more or less done it all.  In my garage, the tpa3116 amp connects directly to a smartphone.  So the phone acts as the preamp.

In the living room, I use an Emotiva XDA-1, which is both a preamp and DAC.

In my office, I typically build my amps with a volume pot or stepped attenuator, which is a very simple kind of passive preamp.  I typically use an outboard DAC between the computer and amp.