SACD ripping using a PS3

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #80 on: 4 Dec 2012, 07:14 pm »
Philip,
I recommend(ed) you put this request in the Apple Circle.  It is likely not a ripping or even DSD issue, as much as its either a PM transcoding issue or a buffer/hardware one.

I have no issue with it also staying here, but the Apple Circle will give more player and hardware-experienced AC members a chance to look at the issue.
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2012, 08:50 pm by ted_b »

PhilipAC

« Reply #81 on: 4 Dec 2012, 09:24 pm »
OK Ted- but I can't put it in CA because I'm not a subscriber.

One further point though. I have just converted my Mahler 2 ISO to a DFF file (rather than DSF). The DSF file continues to give static (even on repeat playing), whereas the DFF file played perfectly! So presumably it is a DSF-specific issue for me.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #82 on: 4 Dec 2012, 09:36 pm »
OK Ted- but I can't put it in CA because I'm not a subscriber.

One further point though. I have just converted my Mahler 2 ISO to a DFF file (rather than DSF). The DSF file continues to give static (even on repeat playing), whereas the DFF file played perfectly! So presumably it is a DSF-specific issue for me.

But you aren't playing DSD; you are transcoding to PCM.  This means it's not a DSF issue, it's a Pure Music or player issue transcoding DSF vs transcoding DIFF.  Yes, if the issue goes away stay with DIFF but it's just s symptom of the errors in on-the-fly transcoding to PCM. 

alcarp

« Reply #83 on: 7 Dec 2012, 09:39 pm »
There was someone in Canada that kindly offered to rip SACDs as a service to other members. I can't seem to locate that post so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

javilamu

« Reply #84 on: 8 Dec 2012, 04:02 am »
anyone interested in a ps3 with sacd on 3.55 i bought a lot of 3 for 350 a piece.

wisnon

« Reply #85 on: 8 Dec 2012, 06:48 pm »
Javi, Make sure to post this at Compaudiophile and the Aussie site stereo.net.au

rw@cn

« Reply #86 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm »
I just now received an "unused"  CECHC 60 gb unit from eBay, it still has the protective tape on the display windows. I hope it works and meets the requirements. I bought it on faith for $200. If it won't do the job, I have a relative that wore his so it will be a Christmas present.

Wish me luck.

« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2012, 11:11 pm by ted_b »

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #87 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:11 pm »
I just now received an "unused"  CECHC 60 gb unit from eBay, it still has the protective tape on the display windows. I hope it works and meets the requirements. I bought it on faith for $200. If it won't do the job, I have a relative that wore his so it will be a Christmas present.

Wish me luck.

Good luck.  Do you need my links and guide (I forget)?

Edit:  sorry, hit modify (my ability as mod) instead of quote, and was typing into your post.  I deleted it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #88 on: 17 Dec 2012, 05:49 am »
Setting J River to output 96k and not using "Play from Memory" option fixed my issues with gaps and stuttering on hirez music.  Also, J River is clearly better sounding than Foobar in my set.  So win/win.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2012, 08:27 am by Tyson »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #89 on: 17 Dec 2012, 08:37 am »
Oh, nevermind, spoke too soon.  This is maddening.

rw@cn

« Reply #90 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:49 pm »
Good luck.  Do you need my links and guide (I forget)?

Edit:  sorry, hit modify (my ability as mod) instead of quote, and was typing into your post.  I deleted it.

I'm good. I'll get started Wednesday.

rw@cn

« Reply #91 on: 18 Dec 2012, 04:41 pm »
 :(

The person I bought it from stated the the version was 3.55. Turns out it is really 4.3.1. So I have to discuss it with him and see about getting my funds returned.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #92 on: 18 Dec 2012, 05:08 pm »
I am sorry.  What a jerk!  Seems audiogon and ebay sellers get worse and worse.

Phil A

« Reply #93 on: 18 Dec 2012, 05:16 pm »
:(

The person I bought it from stated the the version was 3.55. Turns out it is really 4.3.1. So I have to discuss it with him and see about getting my funds returned.

It was an over a year (probably about a year and a half) process to find one locally on Craigslist for me.  I'd send out an e-mail asking for confirmation of the hardware model (per the link in Ted B's reply no. 2 on the first page of this thread) and tell them I can't use it if is not the proper model and firmware and I'd give them instructions on how to check the firmware version.  About two thirds of the time, they wouldn't respond.  The rest would usually respond and that would be the end of it.  Sometimes, I'd get additional e-mails offering it even cheaper since it was a firmware version I did not want and I'd let them know I have a PS3 (non-SACD model) and I need the specific model and firmware or it is useless to me.  I was really happy to finally get one and although the laser quit after doing 10 discs, it is back and I'm ripping again and even with the repair it is cheaper than the asking price for many (the unit cost me $210 and I got a game - have not tried it yet - and now have an extra controller if I ever wish to use it).

Phil A

« Reply #94 on: 18 Dec 2012, 05:20 pm »
I am sorry.  What a jerk!  Seems audiogon and ebay sellers get worse and worse.

Audiogon has gotten worse over time.  I agree, a jerk.  E-Bay has been bad a long time.  I call it SleEz-Bay.  I've only bought a few things on E-Bay over the last 10 years.  I could tell from speaking on the phone to the seller I got it from that it was OK.  It was in the military and being transferred and had a bunch of things to sell and I helped him sell another thing he had.  The advantage of getting it locally is you could always pick it up and check the firmware before paying for it.  The seller offered to do it for me but I was confident after exchanging a bunch of e-mails and talking to him a couple of times.

PhilipAC

« Reply #95 on: 5 Jan 2013, 05:06 pm »
Hi Ted and/or Ken

I use cd ${HOME}/Music/ISO2DSD to convert ISOs sitting on my Mac.

I would like ton convert ISOs sitting on my external HD. I've tried cd ${HOME}/EDD name/Music/ISO2DSD, having set up Music and ISO2DSD
on my EDD, but it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Philip

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #96 on: 5 Jan 2013, 05:23 pm »
Hi Ted and/or Ken

I use cd ${HOME}/Music/ISO2DSD to convert ISOs sitting on my Mac.

I would like ton convert ISOs sitting on my external HD. I've tried cd ${HOME}/EDD name/Music/ISO2DSD, having set up Music and ISO2DSD
on my EDD, but it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Philip

Send a PM to Ken.  I do not know the MAC extraction rules real well, but I would guess that it doesn't like executables on an external hdd, or the folder parent is somehow pointed wrongly.

bprice2

« Reply #97 on: 8 Jan 2013, 03:17 am »
Looking for a little help on this.  So far, I've installed custom firmware on my PS3 and have SACD-Ripper loaded and running.  When I start the ripper it asks me if I want to run in server mode, to which I reply yes.  The screen for the PS3 tells me my status is active, gives me the ip address and port, says client is none and disc is empty.  I then put my disk (Dark Side of the Moon - SACD) into the player and the PS3 now says disc is inserted.  The next step is to go to my computer and go to my folder with Extract ISO Via Network.bat (edited with the proper ip address) and double click it.  When I double click I get a very quick flash of a command prompt, and then nothing.  The command prompt flashes and then disappears.  No ripping occurs.  Does anybody have a solution for this?  Thanks.

P.S. This is on a PC.

Phil A

« Reply #98 on: 8 Jan 2013, 03:27 am »
Looking for a little help on this.  So far, I've installed custom firmware on my PS3 and have SACD-Ripper loaded and running.  When I start the ripper it asks me if I want to run in server mode, to which I reply yes.  The screen for the PS3 tells me my status is active, gives me the ip address and port, says client is none and disc is empty.  I then put my disk (Dark Side of the Moon - SACD) into the player and the PS3 now says disc is inserted.  The next step is to go to my computer and go to my folder with Extract ISO Via Network.bat (edited with the proper ip address) and double click it.  When I double click I get a very quick flash of a command prompt, and then nothing.  The command prompt flashes and then disappears.  No ripping occurs.  Does anybody have a solution for this?  Thanks.

P.S. This is on a PC.

I don't rip via the network.  I know with my non-SACD PS3, I had trouble getting it to see things on my network so I'd guess (could be way off base), it has something to do with network sharing setting.

bprice2

« Reply #99 on: 8 Jan 2013, 04:00 am »
I don't rip via the network.  I know with my non-SACD PS3, I had trouble getting it to see things on my network so I'd guess (could be way off base), it has something to do with network sharing setting.

It could be a network issue.  When I attempted to setup networking in the PS3 a test was run, which told me that I would need to update my PS3 software to get on Playstation Network (or whatever it was called) before it seemed to terminate the setup.  I don't know, does SACD Ripper bypass PS3's networking setup or does it utilize it?  I did get an ip address assigned.

I guess if server mode doesn't work for me, I need to buy a larger thumb/jump/usb drive.  I guess a usb connected hard drive won't work.