New Preamp: LS 100 and Options!

modwright

New Preamp: LS 100 and Options!
« on: 13 May 2010, 06:02 pm »
Hi guys, we are finalizing the design of our LS 100 preamp, to complement the KWA 100. MSRP is to be $3295.

It will have the following options:

New remote with features including: power, standby, mute, volume, input select, trigger(s).
Balance control (defeatable via front face and remote).
Trigger(s) for amp(s), etc. - controlled by IR remote only.
Inputs Include: CD, DVD, Video, Aux. 1, Aux. 2 and Monitor input.
Home Theater Bypass input.
Tape Loop with Monitor input; Tape out and Monitor input.
Three sets of RCA main outs (no XLR ins or outs - purely SE design).
Headphone Out.

Very prelim. pictures of raw chassis.  Missing are the headphone jack and LED's, but wanted to give you an idea of what it looks like.  On the rear, you will see the OPT. holes without RCA's.  This is an input slot that will be covered with a plate.  It allows us to offer a future phono or DAC board.  The trigger jacks are also missing from the rear view as the boards are not installed yet.

FRONT FACE

REAR FACE

Professional photos to follow soon.  Units shipping by mid-late August!

Thanks,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2014, 05:36 pm by modwright »

Afterimage

Re: New Preamp: LS 100 and Options!
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2010, 11:52 am »
Remote with input select, glad that is offered.  Hard to live without once you have had that feature.  How about the sonics compared to the 36.5?

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2010, 02:36 pm »
The 36.5 is still the higher-end unit and fully balanced.  Design is not 100% finalized, so I can't comment yet on sonic comparisons.

It WILL be an advancement beyond the 9.0SE.  A step forward if you will, at the price-point.

Thanks for your feedback RE options!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2010, 12:31 am »
I am going to use this thread to ask for feedback from all of you.  I am finalizing the front and rear graphics and have two images here that I would appreciate comment on.

One of the things that people have asked for in our past designs, is a way to know where the volume control is set, from across the room.  One option is a digital display.  The other way is some sort of LED indicator that shows the knob position.  The two photos show what the unit would look like with and without a 2-digit display.

The faceplate is 5"H x 17"W and the control knobs are 2" dia. - to give an idea of scale.

I welcome your feedback.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2010, 12:38 am »
Dan,

Personally, I prefer having a LED on the volume and balance controls instead of having a digital display.  My current preamp works this way and I can easily tell where the volume is from a good 15'-20' away.

A nice soft blue LED is more pleasing to my eye than a red LED.

George

AB

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2010, 01:55 am »
I like this new symmetry!

Balance? Nice.

As for the Volume display, I am of two minds. I like the elegance of the simple LED on the volume knob but I am not sure it offers the sort of precise feedback I like that would be available from the digits.

The simple LED kills the looks of the digits' faceplate hole - imo.

Will the MW logo light up blue like the amps?

Berto

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2010, 02:17 am »
IMO I like two sets of two digit displays for each speaker. Via a button, these can be on all the time or only seen when you make a volume or balance change. More symmetrical.

As AB stated, more precise too. Also agree with George that the blue would be more pleasing to the eye.

nrenter

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2010, 02:36 am »
I like the the volume goes to eleven. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your pre-amp. Where can you go from there? Where? Nowhere. Exactly. What ModWright does is, if you need that extra push over the cliff, you know what Dan does? He puts it up to eleven. Eleven. Exactly. One louder. 

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2010, 07:06 am »
Well that's right!  When most blokes are at 10....well, we can go to '11'!  It is EXACTLY '1' louder.  Most companies don't give you that... 8)

Dan

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2010, 07:08 am »
Feedback greatly appreciated.  I will see what it might look like with a pair of digital displays - symmetrical.

I prefer the clean look of just the LED's, but I believe that the digits, if done properly, make it quite clear and also deal with the balance issue.

I am struggling with this honestly because in my gut I prefer the minimalist look.  I believe that being able to see where the volume control is, is a good thing, but I guess I expect that the balance would be a set it and forget it thing. Perhaps I am wrong there.

If done without digital displays, then we are dealing with a volume pot and balance pot.  The balance pot will be switchable - i.e. in or out of circuit if you prefer a simpler signal path.  The digital display would mean the use of a digitally controlled, analog volume control (i.e. SS circuit).  This is NOT a digital volume control, but an analog one.  This approach is used by Rowland, C/J and many others.  At this price-point, we can't offer a fully discrete relay driven stepped attenuator approach.

Thanks!

Dan

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2010, 11:03 am »
Dan,

I agree with the minimalist approach for display.  Have you ever considered an LDR approach as an alternative for the attenuator?

Tom

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2010, 07:55 pm »
Sorry but not sure what LDR refers to exactly, but if you mean a ladder-type stepped attenuator or stepped inductor approach, it is possible, but cost-prohibitive at this level.  In order to add R/C to a stepped attenuator, you also need stepper motors, etc.  Anything can be done, it is just a matter of what people are prepared to pay for the unit.

At the MSRP = $3295, it will have to be a volume control.

Thanks,

Dan

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2010, 10:46 pm »
Dan,

I believe that the LDR that he is referring to is the optical volume control mechanism used in the Light Speed Attenuator. Huge thread on diyaudio about it.

jriggy

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2010, 10:54 pm »
Hey,

My .02 is also from two places... Simplicity is great for looks BUT the digits are great on my current C/J and really handy for accuracy when comparing sources and cables re their levels...
As far as balance goes, I DO change it one click one way or the other on occasion if a recording appears slightly shifted off center to one side or the other.

~Jason

vlasis

« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2010, 08:23 pm »
Hallo my friend Dan...greedings from Greece(i want to kill all of our fucking politician)(sorry my friends).........
 Let me tell you my opinion for your new preamp....

1- black face

2- all the knobs from good shining inox (imagine the diference).

3- no digital display(keep the analog-minimal line).

4- give light to Mod Wright sign in the midlle(soft blue light like your amp)or make this the power button

5-metal cones also from inox down of the base and not plastic

Thing about it.....new lines ,new music aproach,new music touch ....from MOD WRIGHT INSTRUMENTS.......We deliver music .not just sounds  !!!!!!!

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2010, 12:17 am »
Thanks for the explanation RE the LDR.  I will check this out!

I understand the advantages of the digital display from an accuracy standpoint.  I believe that we will reserve this for our integrated amp.  I have pretty much decided to stick with the clean analog look.  The knobs are large and I should be able to have a clear enough indicator machined in them, that is visible from a difference.  Ditto the balance control.

Vlassis, thank you for the suggestions.  We will make it available in Black or Silver.  I personally really prefer the brushed look rather than chrome.  It is just a design approach that I prefer to maintain for our entire line, but the logo WILL be backlit just like our amps!

Thanks again to all of you.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jul 2010, 09:00 pm »
Better late than never...I vote for the led knobs and minimalist approach....more classic and less clutter...those didgit displays seem to make a product look very dated and nitch oriented...there are others like myself who would avoid "that look" as much as possible. :roll:

jwes

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2010, 04:18 am »
I like the the volume goes to eleven. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your pre-amp. Where can you go from there? Where? Nowhere. Exactly. What ModWright does is, if you need that extra push over the cliff, you know what Dan does? He puts it up to eleven. Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

I'm with Nigel

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2010, 11:20 pm »
Thanks guys, I have decided to go with no digital displays and a clean simple look.  The volume and mute control knobs are LARGE - 2" dia. and the indicator is a .25" round dimple that should be visible from across the room.

I have kept with my preferred minimalist approach.  I hope that the knobs and their indicators alone will give the visual that people want.

I understand the desire to be precise (i.e. visible digits and db readings) for comparing cables, etc.  To be honest, when I listen to music, if it isn't loud enough, I turn it up :).  If the balance is needed to adjust for any impbalance, I would expect it to be a set and forget type of thing.  For those who don't want the extra potentiometer in the signal path, we offer the ability to disable the balance control.

One of the things that we added to this model, in addition to improved sonics and aesthetics, is convenience.

From the remote you can do the following:

Volume +/-.
Mute.
Enable/disable bal. control.
Input select.
Monitor input select - bypasses all other inputs and directly selects Monitor input only.
Power on/off
Standby/Operate
Trigger (2 output triggers) remote amps or pre/pro.

The remote will be plastic for this model, given the price-point.

My philosophy is about the remote control is as follows:

We will offer a metal remote for our higher end products eventually and will offer this as an add cost option for the LS 100.  But, I couldn't see sacrificing parts quality or sonics in order to budget in the cost of a metal remote for this product.

Compared to our 9.0SE that the LS 100 replaces:

9.0SE remote controls included:
Vol. +/-
Mute.

We have added the following:

An additional main out - a total of three main outs.
Five inputs + monitor input = 6 total.
Separate Home Theater Bypass - HT/BP - operable when unit is powered off.
Standby mode.
Remote trigger outs.
Optional phono or DAC upgrade (user installable).
Balance control (defeatable).

This is a very special product and I look forward to people's feedback once we begin shipping next month.

Sincerely,

Dan

funkmonkey

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2010, 07:20 am »
 :thumb:  :drool: :thumb:   sounds great Dan!  I have to admit that some of the features on the LS 100 have me contemplating selling my 36.5 for this puppy, even though you say it would be a step down.  Especially things like:  Optional phono or DAC upgrade (user installable) & headphone out!  Those features (plus the others) along with the tube compliment should make this model very versatile and a very big success.  :D

-Greg